Modifying a PCIII USB Map

65Cobra

Registered
I've been using the LM-2 to create DL-32 log files in the lower rpm range and loading them into LogWorks 3. On one hand it's impressive how the data can be manipulated within LogWorks, but on the other hand I feel rather dumb because I'm not sure where to go from here. The primary purpose of doing this was to check and fine tune the map that's loaded into my PCIII USB but I have no clue what that process involves. So if anyone has any information, or knows of other websites that address this issue, please let me know. :please: Thanks.

Are you logging A/F ratio only or several inputs? I use the same inputs as the Power Commander map shows (RPM vs. Throttle Angle percentage) This way you can plot the A/F that is out of range on LogWorks and change only the cells that are needed on the Power Commander map. You might have to increase or decrease the numbers a few times to understand at what percentage the Power Commander makes it's changes,..........but you will get it. DON'T try to keep all the numbers in your head! WRITE IT DOWN as you make a change. It takes only seconds to write it down,...........and later you can pick up where you left off,...........versus having to re-learn everything over again. The LM-1 is an incredible tool! I tuned my 01 to 175 RWHP and 50 MPG using the LM-1. Good Luck!!!!

I'm monitoring A/F, RPM and TPS now that I have all three working properly. Once I get the map where I want it I'll probably try to monitor a couple more sources just for the heck of it. I definitely plan to keep detailed notes... very detailed notes.

What GSX1300R-T said :)

To add a little more detail. Are you logging A/F ratio, or Lambda? the "perfect" A/F ratio of a normaly aspirated engine is 14.7:1 or 1 Lambda. So for low % throttle, low-mid RPM (highway cruising) you should tune for 1.0 Lambda to increase fuel economy. As you move out in the grid to higher % throttle and RPM, you should richen the mix up a bit because performance improves when the engine is running a bit on the rich side, 0.85 to 0.9 Lambda. Log, analyze, tweek, adjust; Log, analyze, tweek, adjust; Log, analyze, tweek, adjust.....

It is a turbo busa.... 7lb spring and stock compression. I've been logging "A/F Ratio" using an LM-2 although I do have the option to log Lambda. I just never bothered because my friends don't refer to Lambda.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the proper A/F Ratio should be. I've read various opinions but can't decide who is right, or if they are all right because of differences in compression, boost, etc. My plan was to research that subject this weekend and if necessary start another topic here.

You need to talk to someone who knows boosted engines and the correct A/F ratios for cruisng and racing. Using the normally aspirated numbers will cause it to melt down. It doesn't matter if you log A/F or Lambda, you can calculate one from the other.

Lambda = Measured AF Ratio/Ideal AF Ratio. For gasoline, Ideal (or stoichometric) AF Ratio is 14.7. So if you are running at 13:1, the Lambda measurement is 13/14.7 or 0.884. If you're measuring Lambda and your reading is 0.88, you would calcuate the A/F ratio as Ideal AF Ratio*Lambda (14.7*0.884 = 13).

You can use either A/F or Lambda for tuning, whichever you are most comfortable with. Lambda just seems easier to work with to me.

Last edited:
a/f on a boost bike should be 11.8:1 under load
off boost weve gone as high as 14:1 but have to go rich quick when going into boost

if you race in 1/4 mile then might get by with up to 12:1 but i like to keep it a little richer then that if not running an intercooler (which would allow it to run a little leaner but not much)

a/f on a boost bike should be 11.8:1 under load
off boost weve gone as high as 14:1 but have to go rich quick when going into boost

This might be dumb but how do I determine when the bike is under load or the point it goes into boost, and how do I apply this to the PCIII map? ???

Its probably a good idea to monitor boost anyway to be sure your not getting any boost creep. Do you have a boost gauge?

I do have a vacuum/boost gauge... the connection is there but not mounted yet. Will mount temporarily so at least I'll have something. I have an LM-2 so I could get another sensor and log boost for more detail. I eventually plan to log oil pressure, etc. but is there anything else I should log now that could have a bearing with fine tuning the PCIII map?

But I'm only monitoring A/F, TPS and RPM?

If I had a turbo bike, I would be very concerned about monitoring fuel pressure and boost as well.

I've got a DL-32 on my bike. I'm monitoring A/F, TPS, RPM, Injector Duty, Gear position. The fuel pressure stuff is on it I just need to configure it. I also want to pick up speed and calculate clutch slip, or monitor the hub.

I do have a vacuum/boost gauge... the connection is there but not mounted yet. Will mount temporarily so at least I'll have something. I have an LM-2 so I could get another sensor and log boost for more detail. I eventually plan to log oil pressure, etc. but is there anything else I should log now that could have a bearing with fine tuning the PCIII map?

You basically look at the log to see where you need changes and note the rpm/tps. Then go to the PCIII software and change you map accordingly. A turbo can throw a few kinks in it depending on how you are managing fuel to compensate for boost. Somebody with way more experience with turbos needs to help you out there. In my opinion, you would be better off having the bike tuned by a very good turbo experienced tuner on a dyno. Use your equipment to log the runs at the same time and compare. Then you will have some data to compare. You will then have the ability to fine tune and monitor the health of your set up.

Back