Modifications

Blaze

Registered
Remember, I am a new recruit so assume I don’t know much (which is exactly the case).

I am considering some modifications for my 04 Blue and Silver. So far all I have done is the ZG DB windshield which I love. It seems from my reading here that some of the basic mods include pc3, pipe and air box modification. I also see where some recommend changing the sprocket to either -1 on the front or +3 on the back. I have a few questions and appreciate any help?

First of all, the pc3 and air box mod is no problem (I think). However, I am really torn about which pipe to get. I understand from reading your posts that the full system gives you the most power, but I do like the looks of the dual exhaust.

1. About how much more power does the full system give verses a dual system (e.g. bolt on)?

I also realize the brand and looks are more of a personal thing.

2. But is one brand really that much better than another (in terms of quality, performance and sound)? If so which one(s) or say the top 3 or so.

I am not necessarily looking for the loudest pipe, just one that performs well and has a nice sound.

I also need some help concerning sprockets. I realize riding style has a lot to do with it. I guess I am still developing my riding style. I like twisties and acceleration and don’t think I will be topping it out very often. I don’t usually ride long distances either.

1. What are the pros and cons of going -1 on the front verses +3 on the back?

2. How much does this affect the speed odometer reading?

3. Does it become a wheelie machine?

4. How many of you have either of these combinations? Not counting those with turbos. Do you highly recommend the sprocket change?

Again, I thank you for you help.

1. About how much more power does the full system give verses a dual system (e.g. bolt on)?

2. But is one brand really that much better than another (in terms of quality, performance and sound)? If so which one(s) or say the top 3 or so.

I am not necessarily looking for the loudest pipe, just one that performs well and has a nice sound.

I also need some help concerning sprockets. I realize riding style has a lot to do with it. I guess I am still developing my riding style. I like twisties and acceleration and don’t think I will be topping it out very often. I don’t usually ride long distances either.

4. How many of you have either of these combinations? Not counting those with turbos. Do you highly recommend the sprocket change?

1. depending on the supplemental mods and a good map 5-15
2. Yes on brand is better. Not sure exactly on which is the best. it all depends on what typed of riding u do

Going three up makes you have to shorten your wheel base 1/2 inch. 1 down ive heard gets a bit of vibes becasue after market is smaller in size than stock

2. Your speedo will read faster than ur going. Like it does now

3. Wheelie machine no wheelies easier yes

4. Depends on what ur doing again. If your touring or street riding no casue it give u less milage but if you do track it will help your times.

Do yourself a favor and contact Tom at Veltune. He has a banner on this home page. He sellls the Hindel BDE Gen 3 exhausts and that would be a great place to start looking. I bought a Muzzy system and I like that alot as well. Don't get to caught up in the Hp comparisons - you have somewhere around 150 stock - you will get to about 165 with a pc3 and an exhaust system - 5 or so hp one way or the other won't make a bit of difference for street riding.

When you consider the air box mod keep in mind you are trading off mid range performance -where you ride most of the time - for top end power. Is that what you want for street riding?? If so go for it.

As far as the sprocket changes go - you can get better acceleration, but unless you plan on drag racing do you really need it? Are you going to buy a speedo healer so your odometer and speedometer are accurate. If not you bike will show more mileage that it really has.

Take your time - go slowly and get the bike set up for the way you want to ride it - not just to make some mods because you are aware that they can be done.

Good Luck

Kent

1. Slip ons give you 1-3 hp. Full exhaust 8-13 range or so with a PC2. it depends on the exhaust. Also, don't forget you can get a full system with dual exhaust canisters, they make them both with single and dual cans. well some manufacturers do.

2. Yes.
Quality Akrapovic, BDE Hindle, Yoshimura
Sound HMF, Ti Force, Akrapovic
Performance Toss up between HMF, & BDE Hindle, then Ti Force, Akrapovic

The sound depends on how loud and how deep you like your exhaust notes... I like mine loud and deep!
If you want good performance and nice sound go BDE. HMFs are waaay louder. Akra is pricey.

I would seriously wait to drop your gearing until after you start getting used to using 100% of the power. If you are still developing your riding style, wait until you have it developed and are kind of getting a bit bored, then the gearing will spice up your bike again. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Remember, I am a new recruit so assume I don’t know much (which is exactly the case).

I am considering some modifications for my 04 Blue and Silver. So far all I have done is the ZG DB windshield which I love. It seems from my reading here that some of the basic mods include pc3, pipe and air box modification. I also see where some recommend changing the sprocket to either -1 on the front or +3 on the back. I have a few questions and appreciate any help?

First of all, the pc3 and air box mod is no problem (I think). However, I am really torn about which pipe to get. I understand from reading your posts that the full system gives you the most power, but I do like the looks of the dual exhaust.

1. many companies make full exhausts that are dual mufflered systems, check HMF and D&D.

1. 16T on front will decrease height of clearance of chain/chain guide which normally wears away your chain guide.
43T rear slides the rear axle forward and makes wheelbase shorter and more wheelie prone. BOTH with screw up the speedo reading.

I ran 17/43 gearing on my hahn turbo bike and I loved it was so easily wheelie BUT MPG sucked and I hated the speedo being so badly inaccurate(which I was too lazy to correct)

Back