Modding the new Pashnit Gen 3 Busa

Quickly realized you have to recycle some of the spacers from the original grab bar - directions were not clear on this.

20230128_041847.JPG

20230128_041907.JPG

If you follow my journey, you know I always carry spare fuel on me. I wish I could tell you it's just for looks, but nope, it gets used. And as many times as we says top off when the tour guide tops off, someone will skip it ever confident their bike can run on fumes when it's 100+ miles between fuel stops.

On the Gen2, I carried two of the MSR Fuel canisters, each one of these is about a quart.

100_212.jpg

Insurance is a good thing.

DSC01011.jpg

Dsc08508_1200.jpg

20230128_052049.JPG

The Givi rack is designed to work with the stock seat, which I never use.

20230128_052222.JPG

I always run with the hump on so that requires modifying the hump to work with the Givi brackets. And yes, that meant cutting up a brand-new motorcycle. Mask it off and use cutting wheels on my Dremel tool and slowly notch out the shape of the brackets. The hard part was cutting the baseplate of the hump to work with the rack bolts, since those contact the bottom of the plastic baseplate of the hump and the hump will not click in place anymore. Cut out the bottom of the hump to work with the rack bolts and got it to work. Figure if I don’t like it I can change it.

20230128_052836.JPG

20230129_053600.JPG

A lot of cutting later. Blends right in and hump clicks right on.
You do have to cut the underside of the plastic baseplate of the hump to make this all mate together.

20230129_165847.JPG

If I was fancy, I would do this. Looks factory even.

hump-cut-1.jpg

hump-cut-3.jpg

But the bad news…

The Gen3 Givi Rack was designed by a drunk guy coming off a 3-day bender who just got kicked out of the house by his wife, but still had to go to work on Monday and design this rack to keep his job to pay for his Jag.

The Givi Rack for Gen3 is hanging out in the wind, it has an odd placement in relation to the tail section. This seemed apparent in the first pictures of others installing this. I bought it anyway.

20230204_103817.JPG

20230204_103750.JPG

I figure if it bothers me, I can swap it for something else. I may have mentioned earlier, my days of trying to impress hot chicks with my cool bike have long since passed.

But the bad news…

The Gen3 Givi Rack was designed by a drunk guy coming off a 3-day bender who just got kicked out of the house by his wife, but still had to go to work on Monday and design this rack to keep his job to pay for his Jag.

The Givi Rack for Gen3 is hanging out in the wind, it has an odd placement in relation to the tail section. This seemed apparent in the first pictures of others installing this. I bought it anyway.

View attachment 1663682

View attachment 1663681

I figure if it bothers me, I can swap it for something else. I may have mentioned earlier, my days of trying to impress hot chicks with my cool bike have long since passed.
Nothing a welder can’t fix.

There are two other suppliers that make top case racks for the Gen 3 - SW Mototech and Hepco-Becker.

See how it tucks in nicely. What was Givi thinking?

top-case-hayabusa-3.jpg

This is the Hepco-Becker

top-case-hepco-hayabusa-3.JPG

top-case-hepco-hayabusa-4.JPG

Quad Lock

Phone mounts are one of the number one questions for riders, myself included. I’ve been using an Adaptiv Technologies mount combined with a RAM mounting plate for the phone. I’ve used the Adaptiv mount on four different successive motorcycles. It does work, and zero issues holding the phone over rough roads. The Adaptiv mount on the Hayabusa replaces the steering head nut and is universal. The baseplate can be used with any phone mounting plate. I also used a 3BR Powersports USB outlet to power the phone.

Adaptiv-mount-1.jpeg

Adaptiv-mount-2.jpeg

Adaptiv-mount-4.jpeg

However, this bike came with a Quad Lock. Nice. I really wanted to get this bike set up for wireless charging. Bought the respective case for my phone from Quad lock and installed the wireless charging base. This bike also already had the correct USB plug installed for my Samsung phone. Nice.
But the wireless charging base doesn’t do anything. Not so nice. I have yet to trouble shoot this, but a ride buddy of mine said he had the same exact problem on his GSA & just replaced the base. For the moment, I just plug my charge cord directly into the bottom of the phone and good.

20230125_092418.JPG

20230127_191049.JPG

The power for the Quad Lock USB power wire is set up in the tail

20230127_191055.JPG

The wireless charging head has a button on the underside of the light, that needs to be pushed for it to work.

Maybe an oversight?.

Spacer

This Gen3 has a 1” spacer under the triple tree. I haven't quite figured out if I'm going to remove this or not. There are four bolts on the underside to remove, plus a trip to the hardware store to get shorter bolts to remove this. Feel like I need to put a couple thousand miles on first.

I may be one of the few riders that prefers the stock position of the Busa.

20230126_050640.JPG

My last Gen2 also came with spacers & Heli-Bars and I removed them both and put it back to stock

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

Last edited:
Spacer

This Gen3 has a 1” spacer under the triple tree. I haven't quite figured out if I'm going to remove this or not. There are four bolts on the underside to remove, plus a trip to the hardware store to get shorter bolts to remove this. Feel like I need to put a couple thousand miles on first.

I may be one of the few riders that prefers the stock position of the Busa.

View attachment 1663764

My last Gen2 also came with spacers & Heli-Bars and I removed them both and put it back to stock

View attachment 1663765

View attachment 1663766
The stock bolts are Allen heads

Back