Modding the new Pashnit Busa

Yup. Lights everywhere. Not for everybody, but I love it.

8570062133_92f8a2dee5_o.jpg

8570089449_eab9045fff_o.jpg

CLEARWATER LIGHTS INSTALL

Clearwater Lights power directly off the battery, but wire into the bike's electrics to turn themselves off without any power draw while bike is off. That feature is part of the kit. Sometimes when you hard wire into the bike, some accessories still have a power draw even with key removed and bike off. So I need to install a FuzeBlock. I've had issues with Radar Detectors and USB power outlets drawing power off the battery when bike is off. Have to install a Fuzeblock to isolate accessory power or wire only into the lighting system (taillight or low beam). Used to sell a lot of these.

Latest evolution of Clearwater Lights also wire into the low & high beams- and the horn. When you flick on the high beams, they go to full power. Flick to low beam and they use a 'volume control knob' to adjust the brightness. Go very low brightness during day or full power at night. Hit the horn and the lights flash with the horn on.

Eventually I'll toss the stock beep-beep horn and add dual PIAA horns.

48254387117_3de5e36a36_o.jpg

Last edited:
Quick zip tie to the PMR Thumb Switch i'll add to the bike. PMR Thumb Switches - I'll add a total of Five switches to power lights and accessories we'll get to later. PMR Components makes a 1,2,or 3 switch solid billet swtich block for the left side. They only make a 1-3 left or a 1-switch right. The owner made me a 2-switch right a few years back & i've still got that.

The Clearwater Lights 'volume control' comes with an L-Bracket but I haven't figured out what to attach that to yet. Get to that when I finally wire in the lighting accessories to the PMR Thumb switches.

48254314546_edf76dd4d6_o.jpg

Clearwater Lights come with a bracket kit specific to the bike or a universal bracket kit for the fork. Hayabusa uses the Universal bracket kit.

48254387062_854f622942_o.jpg

Installing the Clearwater Kit on the Hayabusa

48254315976_9a78521f8b_o.jpg

48254315956_e2f9fcf5e8_o.jpg

Success, nothing exploded

48254316056_cb85c9f934_o.jpg

The Clearwater Lights are crazy bright- even during the day. I like them for commuting, not just sport-touring. I rarely night-ride anymore.

I've been running auxiliary lighting for 20+ years. Before all these aftermarket lights came out, I went to the local auto parts store and bought a set of truck bumper fog lights and installed them on the crash bars of my '83 Yamaha Venture & rode to Alaska & back, then couple months later rode 6000 Miles in 8 Days ride across the USA.

That was before wife and kids. :cool:

If you like travelogues, the book I wrote about the 6000 miles in 8 days ride is posted here:

HEADLIGHT MODULATOR - SIGNAL DYNAMICS

Taking the nose off to install the Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator. I'm a huge fan of these. Opinions vary but if you commute in traffic or freeway commute like I do, these make a huge difference. Other issue is while leading tours, I've always got 10 bikes behind me and running around country roads, the issue we run into is locals on "My Road" pulling out onto the roads not paying any attention or even bothering to look if someone is coming down the road towards them pulling out. They see that blinking headlight coming at them and they slam on the brakes. Seen that numerous times. In traffic, it freaks people out. Splitting lanes here in California, it's a must-have safety item. People see something flashing at them and they pull way over to let that guy on the Hayabusa splitting lanes go by.

In the old days like 10+ years ago, I wired in my Kisan model, but these newer Signal Dynamics modules are universal and use a wire harness specific to your particular headlight.

Yes, all Headlight Modulators have a daylight sensor and they turn themselves off at dusk. If you mount the daylight sensor pointing down, it'll turn off when you ride under a bridge. But I want mine on all the time, so I'll mount the daylight sensor facing up.

14105173797_b6a586f9f4_o.jpg

Mounting this same kit on the Z1000

14420052923_96ee5ffa5a_o.jpg

Plug in and done.

14213300760_4c685368bb_o.jpg

On the Gen-II Hayabusa however, they plug directly into the low beam bulb. Easy solution, but I'd prefer to have the modulator on the High Beam so I may change this later. The high beam bulb on the bulb uses a different wire harness connector I don't have, I had to look up the bulb on the Signal Dynamics site, but once you figure it out, just plug it in and done. Sell bike, remove it and save it for next bike. This same modulator has been used on three or four bikes I've owned. The TL1000R has twin headlights so you when I got the dual plug harness installed, both bulbs flash. Very effective.

Dual harness for the TL1000R with twin headlights

23714461158_bc1d91af0f_o.jpg

23714460668_08ddbe6c5e_o.jpg

Unplug stock plug, plug that into the Signal Dynamics wire harness and done.

37518429046_9e8867beca_o.jpg

Can see the wire harness plugged into both bulbs on the TL1000R

41773531680_2d9e8d0058_o.jpg

Personally I don’t like modulated headlights especially in traffic. IMO they’re unnecessary and like you said, they freak people out and they cause drivers to slam on their brakes. I don’t do much night riding these days and the lower pair on your set up should be very good for lighting up the roadway. A modulating headlight, in traffic, is a potential hazard. Out on an empty road is something else. I’ve spoken to a few car drivers, those who have never ridden and upon seeing them in day or night time, it made them think something was wrong and most panicked in one way or another. That ain’t a safe thing to do Tim.

Working on a winter mods 'To Do' list of what's left. There are 9 pages of mods posted here and 6K views so somebody must be checking out these mods.

Tour season is officially over for me. However, Planning to lead 8 motorcycle tours with this bike for the 2020 ride season of ~1000 miles apiece. First tour will be in March so I'm prepping for Season 17 of Pashnit Tours over the winter starting in March.

Some of these projects requiring taking all the plastic off including the nose (which is a pain) so those are projects that require time.

Thing is, I've been riding the Hayabusa as a daily driver to work 20 miles each way lately. Hayabusa gets way better gas mileage (45mpg) compared to my Lincoln Navigator (12mpg) so it costs $12 a day to drive the vehicle to work, and $4 a day to ride the Hayabusa. That adds up quick. Rains will come in December then I'm stuck driving vehicle.

To do list:
add lights inside the air intakes
add LED strips inside air intakes (makes them glow)
Fairing screen kit
PMR (3) Thumb Switch
Hayabusa Gauge Faces / Blue Gauges
Galfer Stainless Steel F/R/CL Lines
Inner panel LED strips
Dual PIAA Horns
RAM Ball mounts for camera mounting
Bagster tankbag repair
MSR Fuel Canister mounting

Not much left to get it just the way I envision this bike...
Stay tuned! More good things in store.
IMG_4196.jpg

Working on a winter mods 'To Do' list of what's left. There are 9 pages of mods posted here and 6K views so somebody must be checking out these mods.

Tour season is officially over for me. However, Planning to lead 8 motorcycle tours with this bike for the 2020 ride season of ~1000 miles apiece. First tour will be in March so I'm prepping for Season 17 of Pashnit Tours over the winter starting in March.

Some of these projects requiring taking all the plastic off including the nose (which is a pain) so those are projects that require time.

Thing is, I've been riding the Hayabusa as a daily driver to work 20 miles each way lately. Hayabusa gets way better gas mileage (45mpg) compared to my Lincoln Navigator (12mpg) so it costs $12 a day to drive the vehicle to work, and $4 a day to ride the Hayabusa. That adds up quick. Rains will come in December then I'm stuck driving vehicle.

To do list:
add lights inside the air intakes
add LED strips inside air intakes (makes them glow)
Fairing screen kit
PMR (3) Thumb Switch
Hayabusa Gauge Faces / Blue Gauges
Galfer Stainless Steel F/R/CL Lines
Inner panel LED strips
Dual PIAA Horns
RAM Ball mounts for camera mounting
Bagster tankbag repair
MSR Fuel Canister mounting

Not much left to get it just the way I envision this bike...
Stay tuned! More good things in store.View attachment 1607667
Tim, how many miles on your bike?

RenntecRack is being retired. After it tore off while riding, I had the aluminum rewelded back together and now I notice it is bending again. Not good with Givi top case.

1E32150F-A291-4199-8D28-149B314FFA08.jpeg

0900AD09-F236-4992-9917-8D98B8BB495E.jpeg

Back