Modded the stock cans.  Pic

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
I have not decided what to by for exhaust yet, but definately decided the stock cans were not loud enough. Churchkey gave me the idea. I used a dremel to cut the welds that hold the three allen screws in place on the endcaps. I removed the caps and drilled one half inch hole between the threadded rods for the cap mount, It wasn't loud enough so I added three more to each, I still have room for 3 more for a total of nine. With the first three there was some resonation with the cap back on so I cut 1.5 inches off of the center pipe. After cutting off that the resonation went away but it still wasn't very loud, so I drilled the second set of three holes.

They have a sweet rumble to them now, I don't think I'll need the last three holes. I can here the bike now while riding it. I used a standard db meter at 25 feet straight bike from the bike, stock at 4500 RPM was 81 db, With the modded cans I now get 109 db, quite a difference. They are not obnoxious though.

My Warrior was 124 db at one point with the baffles in.

I finished off the mod with some new stainless 6mm hardware, The crap that was on there was way too soft. used a dremel with a drum to clean all the edges and a magnet to get out all the shavings. I may pull the caps back off and paint them black with engine enamel.

Anybody else go this route?

You can see the shortened pipe and the holes I drilled in this photo.

exhaust.jpg

sorry your mod sounds like it is what I want to do. Thing is I learn by sight so do you have any pics like a little step by step? If not thats fine. But I really want to do this. Could you make a sound clip of this? how does it sound at wide open? Is it more high pitched or low than stock sound?

well Grump I sort of did the same thing..a while back .. I used a 7/16th bit n ..drilled 5 holes .. I never noticed ..the " rumble " it did get ..louder n more of a deeper rumble.
smile.gif

It is more like a loud whirring sound, a little deeper than stock but not real rumbly. I've still got less than a hundred miles on it I have not had her wide open yet. I'm sure it does not sound as good as Bolts ons but this is free and fills the gap nicely. I did not take step by step pics but can easily take the caps back off tomorrow and snap a few more photos. Check back here around noon. As for a sound clip, I'll give it a shot, but to me it's just not the same as being there.

I did not experience any more decel popping than before I drilled them, The only thing I heard was the resonation and cutting the centers shorter seemed to straighten that out.

I just felt like it was way too quiet in stock form, I couldn't hear it running with my full face on. At least now I know she's breathing.

sweet thanks for the pics and the sound clip. Yeah I know about the differnce in hearing in person, and second hand media! But its do-able thanks alot

With an Aftermarket exhaust you will add HP and loose the weight of the stock exhaust. And if you just like the 2 can look then just get some slip-ons . The Stock cans made my bike sound like a giant high powered sewing machine.

I'm buying exhaust, I just have not figured out what I want yet. In the mean time I want to hear the bike running. The stock cans aren't worth anything anyway. So I fiegured what the heck.

For the other guy, here is your photo step by step.

One: Use a dremel or some sort of wheel and cut the welds that hold the allen buttonheads in place. Then use a 4mm allen wrench to remove the screws.

HPIM0084.JPG

use a drum sander to clean up all the cuts and holes.
pic seven:

HPIM0091.JPG

use a magnet to get all the shaving etc...
I then sprayed everything with black engine paint in hopes to keep the rust down.
I bought 6mm allen head stainless bolts to replace the stock stuff, the length is 12mm.
pic eight:

HPIM0092.JPG

Back