Modded the stock cans.  Pic

sweet write up and pics!! Thank you much. One of these days this week I will attempt this mod
biggrin.gif
this is very help ful. Oh and thanks for the Sound clips btw Kevin! Now 1 more thing I have to ask, I know this will change sound, but is there any loss in performance by changing the 'breathing' this way??

Oh and thanks for the Sound clips btw Kevin! Now 1 more thing I have to ask, I know this will change sound, but is there any loss in performance by changing the 'breathing' this way??
Like Brian said earlier, it will backfire when engine braking from higher rpm's. I also had read in a tech article that reducing the back pressure also can reduce torque, I don't know how much, as you can see in the second video, no problems accelerating.

Kev

Less Backpressure = less torque and a little boost in HP. This bike is not a torque based machine like a twin anyway. You probably won't notice anything.

DNGrumpy,

Nice mod. I'd considered doing the same thing, but now I actually like that my Busa is quiet. It's a nice contrast to my Roadie, which is so LOUD!

Do you still have the Warrior? I'm VR-4man on the rswarrior.com site.

I sold the Warrior 2 Saturdays ago. I'd had her 3 years. Time for a change and I loved the Bandit I had before that... This didn't make the sound obnoxious, just lets me hear the fact that the bike is running.
smile.gif

hey busa guys and gals,  just did this mod ,  as listed but i drilled 9 - 1/2" holes in each can end . the sound is deeper and alot louder than stock. and cheeper than new cans right now. a real good quick fix. thanks DNGrumpy for this mod.:D     ranman ps thanks to speedmon for the cans. so i could do this mod
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|ranman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138931632 -->

This is the best mod you cabn do. It gives you a great sound on your machine without having to drop $700 on a full exhaust.
bowdown.gif

I added 3 mores holes for 9 on each side. Still no backfires or popping. I have not dug out the db meter again yet... Check back Friday, I'll see if I can find it.

might want to get a Power Commander to fix that slight A/F ratio

a Stock Busa Dyno'ed and mapped in Machigan will have a completely different map if Dyno'd and remapped in Florida.

It's always better to treat your motor with love then none at all

poke.gif

... or... you can say its not worth it and **** it like most People do

coffee.gif

When you decide to ditch the OEM stuff I would like a first shot a buying the system off you...
Oh and hit some twisties to scrub off those Chicken Strips.

Another resurrected post. But a pretty good one anyways. I did this a while back too and it actually worked out pretty well. I wound up sanding and buffing the rest of the welds off of the end caps afterwards to lessen the aesthetic degradation! I only cut a half inch off the center tube and there is a slight resonance at idle it actually sounds pretty good. Not loud, just enough to let you know she's alive. Also did the Marble mod but never really had any big issue with Backfiring.

Back