Modded stock pipes vs aftermarket

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Seeing that most are willing to spend hundreds if not more for an exhaust, has anyone ever dynoed a stock set of modded pipes to see what gains if any one might obtain?

aftermarket pipes are worth it if you're not going turbo anytime.... they are just a bit expensive for what you gain.

you might gain 1-5 hp with a modded stock exhaust and gain up to 10 or so with aftermarket.

Im currently x-piping a stock pipe and adding expantion chambers in the upper portions. Im really only using the stock flanges and rear connect sections with the stock mufflers w/ the rear baffles removed comlpletely. I at best expect 5- 7 but 4-5 four hours labor and fabtime at home VS 1200-1500 for the high end system I really want because it looks better. At $100 per horse difference I will deal with my own skills as I have more free time than free money. It sounds great now but a few more ponies without a pc, using the stock back half will do for now.

(jpracecraft @ Apr. 18 2007,19:59) Im currently x-piping a stock pipe and adding expantion chambers in the upper portions. Im really only using the stock flanges and rear connect sections with the stock mufflers w/ the rear baffles removed comlpletely.  I at best expect 5- 7 but 4-5 four hours labor and fabtime at home VS 1200-1500 for the high end system I really want because it looks better. At $100 per  horse difference I will deal with my own  skills as I have more free time than free money. It sounds great now but a few more ponies without a pc, using the stock back half will do for now.
I'd like to see pics when you're done.

Most certainly even if its and especialy if its ugly.
all_coholic.gif

i noticed my pipe is stock, but is single... whoever had it before me took the pipe that is on the rear brake side off and turned it into and welded it so they could put a single side slip on on it. Now it has one pipe comming out of the chain side. DUMBASS!!

Remember it's not only the HP you gain, it's the weight you lose. The stock cans weigh a ton.

So what kind of "mod" are U guys talking about.....with the stock exhaust ?

(Warputer @ Apr. 19 2007,07:14) So what kind of "mod" are U guys talking about.....with the stock exhaust ?
What I did was drill the front end baffle plate with five 1/2" holes each (long drill bit) and then after removing the rear end beauty caps, drilled nine 1/2" holes in the rear baffle plate, three each between the screw posts. Masked and painted the ends with 1500 degree paint and reinstalled the screws. Doesn't look bad at all either.

The only possible performance difference I (think) I felt was a reduced back pressure feeling on hard decel at high revs. If I did in fact feel some difference, I like it. Not the usual lurch forward when down shifting like the very restrictive stockers seemed to do. Acceleration was not effected. Looooove the sound, really. Would like to hear it from another's perspective and not just from the seat but I really do like it. No pops or swooshie sound, just a nice deep throaty rumble.

I think if you can find a set of take offs in good condition or using your own, you can have a great sounding set of pipes for a fraction of the cost of any 'store bought' slip ons. I'd love to hear some others in a side by side comparo to see what differences in sound there actually is.

I agree CBX .....I bought slip-ons for the "sound" and it was a waste ....now I have this .....

HID_s_021.jpg

(Juggler @ Apr. 19 2007,07:11) Remember it's not only the HP you gain, it's the weight you lose.  The stock cans weigh a ton.
Unless I weighed less than the "Doctor" I doubt a few pounds less on a street bike would make much of a difference.  Anyone with similar mods that weighs less than you is going to be faster, HP to weight ratio and all that you know?  Just doesn't seem rational to me to spend so much $$$ and get so little for my investment when all I really wanted is a better sounding exhaust.  I weigh 245 and the Busa's no lightweight either so unless I wanted a drag bike with absolute top performance I doubt I'll be spending my $$$ on an aftermarket exhaust.

This is something I am struggling with right now too. I am looking mainly for a different look and maybe a little throatier sound. I can't see spending the big bucks on a full exhaust when I am not looking for performance gains. As long as the slip-ons won't hurt it that's probably the way I am going. I was seriously thinking of hacking up the stock pipes. The last time I tried that (on my vstar) it didn't go so well.

I will give away my stock drilled cans to anyone willing to pay shipping. I removed the end caps, drilled the 9 1/2" holes, cut 1.25" off of the inner pipe, sprayed everything with high temp paint, put the caps back on and used S/S allen bolts. I never DYNO'd bone stock but pulled 164.11 HP with the cans drilled.

I don't need them anymore. I went JE 1397, Web cams, Pair block off, small airbox mod, 24 volt starter system, dual muzzy fans, Hindle stepped Race header and the new Black mid and Megacone.

If your just looking to make your bike sound like a bike the stock mufflers can do it.  I just took them off.I cut the tack welds on the rear of the cans with a dremmel knock of from harbor freight I got for 12 bucks. Took my mini cutting torch(yes I did) with a small flame cool as possible. And cut out everything but the mounts for the cap.  Then cut down the center pipe as far as I could reach.
About 4-5 inches. Then turned the  can over and shook all the bits out. It took about 1.5 hrs total. I just put the caps back on and all is well.
There is a baffle in the front that just barely keeps it from being a straight through glasspack. IT seems to be just enough to stop any backfiring. Acceleration seems just a wee touch better or maybe it just sounds 100 times better I dont know. Its deep, throaty,Not cracky at ALL. And I only go about 175 so weigh isnt a factor.
Cant sound any better any cheaper. Except Maybe the drilling the baffles to death but a good long 1/2 inch bit  is about 6-10 bucks and torches are more fun.
super.gif

(DNGrumpy @ Apr. 19 2007,18:49) I will give away my stock drilled cans to anyone willing to pay shipping.  I removed the end caps, drilled the 9 1/2" holes, cut 1.25" off of the inner pipe, sprayed everything with high temp paint, put the caps back on and used S/S allen bolts.  I never DYNO'd bone stock but pulled 164.11 HP with the cans drilled.  

I don't need them anymore.  I went JE 1397, Web cams, Pair block off, small airbox mod, 24 volt starter system, dual muzzy fans, Hindle stepped Race header and the new Black mid and Megacone.
I'll be interested in taking them! PM Sent.

The yoshi r-22's or bling sounds deep and throaty not screemy and buzzy. Sounds like a new GTO or something. I got them because of this sound.

Back