Mitsubishi Eclipse? Reliable?

Tiller

Registered
I just took a job that I start in June that will require me to commute a little over an hour each way every day. My wife and I have been looking at gas savers on the inexpensive side.

I found a 1999 Eclipse GS non turbo online. It is an orginal owner, clean carfax, never wrecked, and only 63k original miles. This is probably one of the few left that havent been ragged out.

I'm just looking for reviews from people who have experience with eclipse's. Are they reliable to simply drive 75-80 mph on the interstate only? What kind of gas mileage does the 2.0l get?

Also it's in Indian Trail, NC near charlotte so if there is anyone near there that could run by and take a look at it that would be great.

Here is the link to the car and website: 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse - All City Auto Sales Indian Trail, NC

And this is a quick pic of the car. And yes they are asking too much for it.
Eclipse.jpg

Any info is helpful. Thanks

Check the struts in the front to make sure they arent pulling away from the body where they mount under the hood. And why does that GS have a turbo wing?

Looks good though

i've got a '97 Eclipse Spyder GS-T that i bought with just over 100,000 miles on it and have put about 30,000 on since...one of the igniters went out on it this winter but that is the only thing i've had problems with other than regular maintenance...if you get that one, make sure to have a new timing belt installed around 100,000 miles as i have heard it is the weak point in the motor and very expensive to fix when it lets go

it has a turbo so i don't know if the mileage is similar but i think i get around 30 mpg if i'm on the highway and behaving myself which isn't very often since it is more for playing in the curves on the back roads...it even does a decent job of pulling a trailer with the Busa loaded on it (gets a lot of stares though) :laugh:

IMG_2773 (Large).jpg

IMG_2775 (Large).jpg

i've got a '97 Eclipse Spyder GSX-T that i bought with just over 100,000 miles on it and have put about 30,000 on since...one of the igniters went out on it this winter but that is the only thing i've had problems with other than regular maintenance...if you get that one, make sure to have a new timing belt installed around 100,000 miles as i have heard it is the weak point in the motor and very expensive to fix when it lets go

it has a turbo so i don't know if the mileage is similar but i think i get around 30 mpg if i'm on the highway and behaving myself which isn't very often since it is more for playing in the curves on the back roads...it even does a decent job of pulling a trailer with the Busa loaded on it (gets a lot of stares though) :laugh:

Good information. Thanks! :beerchug:

And that would get me starring at you too :laugh:

Not to be a downer, but around Asheville last year we had like maybe 4 fatalities involving teens, all were in Eclipses. I just thought it was strange they were all in the same car.

I had a 98 Eclipse GS for about 3 years and never had any issues, but I leased it from new and turned it in with about 30,000 miles on it. I enjoyed it, but had to get myself a truck/SUV to take its place.

Not to be a downer, but around Asheville last year we had like maybe 4 fatalities involving teens, all were in Eclipses. I just thought it was strange they were all in the same car.

they are a lot of fun on twisty roads but i've almost lost mine a couple times...nothing like sliding the backend through the gravel on the side of the road while the front tires are turned into the slide spinning for traction...of course, the weather probably has something to do with it since i'm usually on the Busa if it permits...bad weather, spooled up turbo, and tight turns can get an experienced driver in trouble quickly, much less an inexperienced one!

My mom had a n/a eclipse w/ over 180,000 miles before she got rid of it. The only maintenance was oil/filters, tires, and brakes. I guess it depends on how the car is driven.

I have a 07 and was thinking to put a hitch on it, but never seen one pulling a trailer before, I guess Im good too go now.:laugh:

We have a 1994 Eclipse with over 200k miles.....that car has not missed a beat in all these years.

As long as you keep up on the timing belt maintenance it should be fine.:beerchug:

+1 on the timing belt. I have had 2, a 1996 with the 2.0 and a 2007. The 2.0 has issues with timing belts (it has 2 of them too) make sure you replace them no latter than every 80,000 miles and do the regular maintenance and it will easily last 250K. even though it only has 63K its old enough that you should think about doing the timing belts now just so your not worring about it. If the belt snaps it will bend 1/2 of your valves and you will need to get your head rebuilt. Out of all the cars I have ever owned, my 2.0 was by far my fav!!!

Research online and see how many have blown motors...

Get a 5.0 like I did for my son ...

You can even get a later model mustang GT in the same price range...

much better and more reliable pick

Research online and see how many have blown motors...

Get a 5.0 like I did for my son ...

You can even get a later model mustang GT in the same price range...

much better and more reliable pick

yea but if you read my entire post you wouldve seen that I need a gas saver for a long commute to work. Not a muscle car. Besides I already have a 2004 GTO.

Back