Mistakes you have made while riding

Odyssey

Registered
We have alot of new riders on this board so i thought it might be a good idea to post the mistakes we have all made while riding to help the them. Well...I'm not going to start
biggrin.gif

I have a tendancy to chunk it in 1st while starting off and turning from a stop in a parking lot and ALMOST dropping the bike. I think my chain is loose and I know the throttle turns a bit before taking... of course, it CAN'T be MY technique. ;) With my new busa I take slow turns too wide - just not used to the new radius, so I lean it more.

I think it would be a mistake to NOT take the rider safety class.

OH OH OH!! Here's my worst one: LEAVING THE TURN SIGNAL ON!!! I almsot had a truck pull out in front of me because he assumed I really was turning as I was putzing thru an intersection... while I was thinking "What a dunce head.." he was thinking "what a dunce-head" while I looked down and saw WHY he was gonna pull out [turn signal still on]. I'm so ashamed!!!

Mistake #4: Not checking the bike completely before riding it. Working on fixing that habit with a checklist card like airplane pilots use.

Mistake #5: At this club called the Frat House, I saw this hot chick in a tight electric green skirt and low cut top, sexy/ratty hair and a young face to die for. Found out she is a guy. Let the wretching begin!!!

Hey WWJD, get the double bubble windscreen, you wont have a problem with the signal light again, well least not for over a few seconds. Best mod so far.
Problem I had was getting my shoestrings caught in the Shoestring catchers that Suzuki put on the end of the footpegs.. still do it.
Sorry I cant help on # 5 hehehe

Made a H-U-G-E mistake once while riding ....back in 1999.
I rode right past the fricken shop that was selling Busa's.
Wasted all that time ridin' them inferior Ninja's,older gixxers,even a......yup....a Yami . YUCK. hee hee hee .
Anyways......
"And now,for something completely different," a serious answer to the topic .
If yer young....which this thread is apparantly directed at:
Never get scared to the point where fear makes your decision. If yer too hot into a corner,which WILL happen .Just lean. LEAN IT OVER BIGTIME . You can lean a sportbike over till the friggin' pipes drag , she wont go over . You get scared,get on the binders,she'll stand up an' you'll go down.If she washes out from under ya...
A slide on yer azz IN the corner is gonna hurt WAY less, than a slide ON YER HEAD [thru] the corner .
Dont START...bad habits . Like :
1 finger high on the brake lever in city traffic.(there's a million of 'em) etc etc.
Unless yer real friggin' good at it,lay off that back brake most of the time . If yer an' awesome rider,by all means(its called trail braking) its said 70% of yer braking should come outa the front . I disagree . More like 90% outa the front . You hammer on the front the azz gets light anyway . I use up 3 or 4 sets of pads up front to 1 in the azz.
I could go on for hours....could end up causing "Internal Host Provider Combustion Syndrome"...or ....worse yet... "Server Meltdown".

I'll leave ya with this.....
Be cool out there....real cool. By that I mean be INCREDIBLY aware of your surroundings .
I drive a truck for a living . I've been on course's to become more aware .
Example : Yer at a light downtown . The snapper head with the wind-tunnel tested hairdo an' three hairs on his chin , wants too race ya with his Daddies 5.0 liter Mustang .
BECOME INCREDIBLY AWARE .
It's downtown .
People everywhere,crossin against the lite,etc etc.
There's a bag lady,she dont know what day it is,let alone what the color red means .
That dude there dosen't have control over his dog,its comin out into the street .
The jackass across the way is about to left turn in front of you.
The cops are around the corner, you cant see them ,YET.
POINT....there's a time...and a place...THIS AIN'T IT .
Sure "Mustang Boy" needs to be taught a lesson on the laws of physics...power 2 weight ratio's....an' such . Let some 1 else do it .

ALWAYS TRY, TO NEVER LET YER BALLS,GET THE REST OF YOUR BODY IN TROUBLE.

o ya' ...one more thing... I've crashed a street bike ONCE, in over 20 years of street riding . Only once .10,15 years ago. All I can say is :
BOOZE + Bike + Big Balls = HURT. Some of my body parts can tell when it's gonna rain ...if ya know what I mean.
Dope is for DOPES . Beers are for when you made it home safe . NOT...on the road .
Take care young riders....any questions...I'll be glad to answer....ANYTIME .

Never doubt that the machine your riding on (any of them) have a ton more capability then the people riding them! Trust your bike and it will bring you home everytime.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Problem I had was getting my shoestrings caught in the Shoestring catchers that Suzuki put on the end of the footpegs.. still do it.
just me....dont take it personally....
What in the frick are you doin' riding the "Worlds-Fastest-Organ-Donor-Machine" in anything that "laces up".
Bought a busa = buy some boots .

I have a tendancy to chunk it in 1st while starting off and turning from a stop in a parking lot and ALMOST dropping the bike.  I think my chain is loose and I know the throttle turns a bit before taking... of course, it CAN'T be MY technique.  ;)  With my new busa I take slow turns too wide - just not used to the new radius, so I lean it more.
feather it baby.....feather that clutch . Get them revs up into a useable range,an feather that clutch . You'll get way more control once you learn to...."Master the Clutch" ...my young Jedi Busa Master .

I think my chain is loose
NOT...pickin' on u WD40....you are just a tool . Oops, that didn't come out right . hee hee hee . A tool for learning,that is . hee hee hee . Never neglect yer ride . Never . Besides,it's easy...skip that re-run on T.V. of that shiddy sitcom , an give yer ride a lil' look-see . Takes minute's. Not sure about sumfin....
ask here....https://www.hayabusa.org hee hee hee

What in the frick are you doin' riding the   "Worlds-Fastest-Organ-Donor-Machine"  in anything that "laces up".
Hey RS,Got boots, dont wear them.. nor do I wear leather pants.
I try to be "sort of "comfortable while riding!
Im sure there is a few on here that wear tennis shoes such as I and maybe a few that wear flip flops, God forbid.
Just be aware if you wear stringed shoes, they do get stuck on the pegs.

What in the frick are you doin' riding the   "Worlds-Fastest-Organ-Donor-Machine"  in anything that "laces up".
Hey RS,Got boots, dont wear them..  nor do I wear leather pants.
 I try to be "sort of "comfortable while riding!  
Im sure there is a few on here that wear tennis shoes such as I and maybe a few that wear flip flops, God forbid.
Just be aware if you wear stringed shoes, they do get stuck on the pegs.
well kevin in vah....good luck with what ever STUPIDITY you choose . I was hopin' to educate the newer riders . Riding in tennis shoes......WHATEVER...tennis shoes aint even that gr8 for playin fuggin tennis . Whatever boy . I love ridin' . I like most bikerz . You wanna wear shid....go for it . A question was asked...I tried to provide the right sort of answer .
Go ahead an' be comfortable....it's not the right choice...

Common sense ....hopefully...it will prevail .

Two dummest mistakes... one, putting the hottie I just met in a bar on the back of the bike to take her for a ride, and forgetting the disk lock was on...ok, ok I wasn't drinking first of all and we didn't go down either. Two, I did it on my 95 ZX-9, hey Suzuki had a garbage lineup from 93 to 96 what was I supposed to do?

tried to launch hard while parked in the middle. Got a rear tire full of grease, oil and water, rear tire lit up and went about 3 feet sideways. Never park in the middle at a traffic light

Dont whiteline cars on the highway when they are "staggerd", white line them when they are side by side. Cars can switch lanes staggerd and hit your rear tire or cut you off. If you whiteline cars, do it when they are side by side.

Always check your tire pressure, buy a digital tire pressure guage and a cheap $80 air compressor. Filling your tires up at a gas station is a no-no, the water in the gas station lines can cause your tires to lose traction due to unbalancing, at high speeds the tire can seperate from the bead and cause a blowout. Never air up at a gas station without checking/clearing the line for water first.

Always check your blind spots extensively

When making a u-turn, dont assume someone is turning just because they have the turn signal on, almost got plowed when the car changed it's mind and went straight and gased it

Ride at your own pace, dont push yourself. Ride at your own comfortable speed and risk level. They will always wait up for you, make sure you make it

Equipment! Get good gloves and a good helmet, this is minimum!

Always park your bike facing UP an incline. If you park your bike with the front tire lower than the rear tire, it's a %*%^$# to back out, if you park on a slant, park with the front tire pointing up the slant and leave your bike in gear.

Whenever possible, use 2 people to load a bike on a trailer, saw a GSXR750 get smashed when a guy who's loaded bike 100000 times had one get away from him.

Dont stop at toll booths, too much moisture, oil and grease on the ground, too easy to slip and fall. Hide your tag and blow those toll booths

Keep your visor perfectly clean at all times. Toothpaste and warm water is the perfect lens cleaner. Buy some anti-fog spray at Sports Authority, spray a light mist on the inside of the lens, and rub in good with a cotton t-shirt.

Clean the rear view mirrors LAST. Nothing like checking for 5-0 when your rear view mirrors are full of honda spray. Clean them last.

Clean your chain by spraying it with brakes parts cleaner, hose it down. Then spray and clean with WD-40, run for 100 miles, the lube with good chain cleaner. Chain maintence is very important, those suckers get hot.

Teach your passengers how to react to hard breaking. Tell your passenger to put her hands on the TANK when stopping suddenly, not on you. This way she doesnt tackle you over the handlebars. Hands on tank when stopping!

If something looks like it might fly out of a pickup truck, it will when you get behind it. Never follow a truck full of junk ready to fly out. Dumptrucks, semi's, maintenence trucks, stay away from them. I hit a ladder on GSXR750 once at 90mph, flew off a electrician's truck, kept it up but barely.

Get your ass off the seat when going over railroad tracks or deep bumps.

Always secure your wallet and belongings in a ziplock bag in the trunk. I lost $1200 in cash, my wallet, a brand new cell phone, and a tollbooth transponder because I accidentally left the zipper open on my Joe Rocket Textile jacket. That was not a good day

Zip tie a little rubber doo-dad to your motorcycle key. Dont be one of those people who has 10,000 keys attached to their motorcycle key, and demolish the triple tree. That makes the bike look horrible. Put the keys in the trunk, and just have your motorcycle key zip-tied to a little rubber doo-dad, like a plastic coily thing from home depot, just so you have something to find it easier.

And finally- DO NOT USE DISK LOCKS EVER!!!!

Hope this helps

Mike

hey hey now, this is to help people, not make fun of them for their mistakes. I have seen A LOT of people who wear shorts and flip-flops on motorcycles, no shirt either.

My 1st mistake i made was learning to GO before learning to STOP. 1st time i dropped a bike

My 2nd mistake was riding a harley, It was my first bike and good to learn teh basics on, right? plus if you can balance a harley you can balance any sportbike, hehe.

My 3rd mistake (almost droped the bike) Me and my friend was pulling up to a stop sign from a turn and was going very slow and tried to straighten the bike with my friends at a stop sign (going about 2 miles and hour, turned the handlebars a little too far and it started to fall.

During ABATE I frequently made the mistake of not looking thru the turn (only in the beginning), well i was but not far enough.

Thats about all i can specifically remember.

Ride at your own pace, dont push yourself. Ride at your own comfortable speed and risk level. They will always wait up for you, make sure you make it
And look out for trees when you go off roading because you didn't listen to the above. When riding with a group it is very easy to get in over your head.

Some of the things Mike said i would disagree with, but to each his own. Im specifically talking about toll booths part. there are usually cops behind them.

To what blas32 said.

There was a sharp turn and instead of looking where I wanted the bike to go, I was looking straight ahead, and went, uhhh hill climbing. Entering the corner too fast was also a contributor.
11doh.gif

Back