Missing Power?

Sean298

Registered
I remember not so far back if I cranked on my bike in first or second the front would come up no problem. I'm noticing that my bike doesn't seem to have the power that it used to have, it takes a lot of effort to get it up in even first gear, forget about second.

So I guess my question here is am I supposed to be doing some fuel system cleaner or something? I read some old threads and BG 44K seems to be some good stuff.

Bike is a 2002, 53k miles. Fresh oil, coolant, plugs, tires, chain, sprockets, etc.

How fresh is the gas? I do not know about where you live, but where I live most the gas stations have ethanol in there gas. The ethanol attracts moisture and water.
How does it run in the upper rpm's (7,000-10,000 rpm range)?

Gas is very fresh, been through probably about three tanks worth already, It runs great, It has power just about everywhere and no real issues, it just doesn't seem to have that rediculous power I remember.

Just trying to run down the possibilities of what could be the possible issue, injectors and fuel filter seems to be the thing I've set my mind on that makes sense.

If it was the fuel filter it will usually bog down in the 7,000 to 10,000 range.

Yeah man I weigh a hefty 145ish with my gear on. I'm really packing it on I tell ya.

I stuck some redline cleaner and 92 octane gas, see what that does to it, maybe I'm just being picky. Poor busa.

maybe your just getting used to it and it doesnt seem as powerful as it was? I have had numerous gen 1 busas and power wheelies starting in second took a little effort. mine had power commanders and numerous other mods as well. maybe regear it a little if wheelies are your thing.

With that many miles a new fuel filter is in order. I know the manuals don't tell you to replace as a scheduled item but the filter medium is small and clogs up easily. You may want to consider getting your injectors cleaned also.

So my question is Does synching the throttle bodies make a huge diff in the upper end? From what I've read, it only affects smoothness of idle. Anyone seen a huge change after synching?

Thats the sort of reply I was searching for. Got a part number or something for the fuel filter? Maybe a guide to cleaning the whole mess, I doubt its ever been touched.

Is there a good way to get in there and really clean the injectors? Not talking additives, like actually taking them of and spraying them out and picking out the grime.

Plugs are about 2500 miles old..

15420-24FB0 or 15420-35F01don't know which one for your year. They are expensive. Search on this site, there is a hook up somewhere to find the filters cheaper.
MPS or RC Engineering will clean and flow test the injectors.

Thanks, did a search on both numbers..
STRAINER, FUEL PUMP MODEL K1 - 15420-35F01
STRAINER, FUEL PUMP MODEL K2/K3 - 15420-24FB0

How do I know which k number I should be getting? Probably a dumb question but it's not so obvious.

I read that fuel lines are even a maintenance item every 4 years, sound right? And what about injector screens, clogging issues there perhaps?

Doesn't matter, fuel pump strainer was clean and spotless, had my injectors half assed professionally cleaned 17% imbalance even after cleaning, wtf right? And the giver of bad news was correct, my valves/seats are toast.

not sure what you are wanting to do about the valves and seats. maybe you can do them yourself maybe not. but make sure to check around for pricing of someone to redo the head.
a few years ago i was rebuilding a GR650 (old as 2 cylinder suzuki) and a local engine rebuilder my head for cheap!

A local dyno tuner, builder, etc, that does a lot of busas. He said he's got some connections to get it totally redone, ported, polished, the whole works for about $1000... Yet there's one on eBay for $725 that's the same thing AFAIK. As of right now, I've cleaned the valves, ill roll with it like that for a few miles, I need to recheck the valve clearance with some newfound knowledge I got the other day. that's about my plan for now. I'm having a blast dealing with what I thought was a small issue. One of the spark plugs had some issues, the outer collar with the threads broke off into the head, I got it out with relative ease with a sharpened screwdriver...yes you read that right. The valves were extremely caked with carbon, I had soaked them for a few hours with seafoam and carefully scraped off some excess with a pick, I'm really not in the position to drop all that money again fixing the bike.

How I determined that the seals may be damaged is when I put some liquid on top of the valve, on the compression stroke, it would bubble around the edges a lot. As well as the top of the valves looking like tar.

Back