MISERABLE after oral surgery!!

Mrs.Rubber2Burn

The Diet Coke of Evil!!!
Donating Member
Registered
I had oral surgery yesterday morning and today am not doing well (to say the least). :( :(
I am in a lot of pain and the vomiting is horrible. I can not keep down the pain meds or the nausea meds (phenergan) in order to give them a good chance to work. Our stupd podunk Walgreens Pharmacy closed at 6:00pm so I can't pick up the phenergan that isn't oral that the doc called in.
Has anyone else gone through oral surgery as an adult and has it been this miserable? I have to say that hubby has been WONDERFUL at taking care of me and anything that I might need or want.
Also, I am alternating hot and cold packs for the swelling. Does anyone know which if either is the better option?
Sorry to whine, I am just MISERABLE!

If you are not having any residual bleeding, just try taking 800mg of Ibuprofen (helps pain and inflammation). Cold packs are the best option as it gives a numbing effect and helps with inflammation.

Wish I had some advice to give. I've got nothing! I had a wisdom tooth pulled while I was 6 months pregnant -- NO NOVICANE! That was pretty bad, but nothing like what you are going through. Sorry....hope it gets better soon.

I'm really sorry for the way you are feeling. It's generally way better to get the pain meds in you BEFORE the pain hits. After it hits, it's hard for anything to catch up. I wish I had something to offer. Cold packs helped me.... but I think the Oxycodone did more.

Get better.

Mark

oral surgery just bites. My suggestion for the pain would be to get yourself a package of frozen corn or peas from the grocery store and put them on the sore areas. Thats what I did after mine, and it worked pretty well. Sorry there isnt a 24 hr poharmacy near you, and hope you feel better soon.

As a former coach I can tell you to treat swelling with Ice Packs about 10-15 m inutes on/off. Applying heat tends to open the capillaries and give you a chance to bleed more. When I had oral surgery the nurses gave me ice packs. Hope this helps and you feel better soon.

Disclaimer: I only play a doctor on the radio and am actually not one:laugh: Wardie

Don't know about oral stuff but i had double herneah sergery last summer and the pain meds made me whacky to say the least. I couldn't take em. I hurt bad but it was better than being sick all the time. Hope you get better quick and sorry i'm not any help.

If you are not having any residual bleeding, just try taking 800mg of Ibuprofen (helps pain and inflammation). Cold packs are the best option as it gives a numbing effect and helps with inflammation.

+1 I will also add when eating, go liquid. When I had my wisdom teeth out, it was hard trying to open up to get a spoon or fork in my mouth. I relied on chicken broth mostly and very soft jello through a straw. I just kept waiting for the pain to get worst and it never did. I took the ibuprofen first and kept the pain meds just incase it wasn't enough. Remember this too shall pass. Oh and I slept alot the first of day too.

Get better soon!! :beerchug:

Thanks y'all! I had a bad of frozen corn on the right side of my face last night. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have to be very careful with Ibuprofen (any NSAID) because of my stomach (previous bleeds), but I can take it if I eat and take another something else for my stomach. So I made some of that lovely Cream of Mushroom soup that is mostly kept around for casseroles :laugh: and am now going the route of Ibuprofen.
As I read my post again I sound like I am 91 and not 31!! Geez.

My wife had oral surgery two weeks ago due to her being afraid of the dentist. She wont go until she absolutely cant stand the pain any longer. Then they have to put her out completely to do any work. She had two teeth pulled.

She was on 600 mg Ibuprofen, Darvocet and warm salt water rinse. Her stomach was getting upset from the meds also but a Slim Fast Meal Replacement Shake (chocolate) kept her stomach from getting upset.

A couple more days and you will be fine. Hang in there !!!

I hope you get to feeling better, oral surgery sucks and there isnt much you can do to get comfortable once you are in pain. Ibuprofen worked the best for me.

Yes, Ibuprofen (or any NSAID...Non Steroid Anti-inflammatory Drug like Aleve, etc) can cause stomach problems IF you are prone to them (such as ulcers). They help pain and inflammation. For those who may not know...Advil (Ibuprofren) generally comes in 200mg tablets/capsules. Bottle will say 1-2 tablets (200-400mg). Prescription strength that we write are 800 mg. You can take 4 - 200mg ibuprofen safely every 4-6 hours. It has anti-inflammatory properties as well. But to reduce any inflammation (this can be oral, shoulder, legs...whatever), you need to take it around the clock for 5-7 days. It reduces swelling/inflammation. You should NOT take Ibuprofren or NSAID before surgery or while you have bleeding as it may make you bleed longer, so if you ever get a bruised leg (hematoma, etc), place ice for the first 24-48 hours. Dont use Ibuprofen until after 24 hours (enought time for bleeding to stop). Use Ice only (heat will make it bleed). Only after 48 hours (2 days...should you apply heat but you can continue using ice anytime). Heat can actually stimulate nerves where ice has a more numbing effect. Also, Tylenol has no effect on inflammation and does not effect stomach problems...but has to be metabolized by liver thus making it harder on the liver. Ibuprofen does not affect liver. Hope this helps everyone for those who dont have much medical background.

Yes, Ibuprofen (or any NSAID...Non Steroid Anti-inflammatory Drug like Aleve, etc) can cause stomach problems IF you are prone to them (such as ulcers). They help pain and inflammation. For those who may not know...Advil (Ibuprofren) generally comes in 200mg tablets/capsules. Bottle will say 1-2 tablets (200-400mg). Prescription strength that we write are 800 mg. You can take 4 - 200mg ibuprofen safely every 4-6 hours. It has anti-inflammatory properties as well. But to reduce any inflammation (this can be oral, shoulder, legs...whatever), you need to take it around the clock for 5-7 days. It reduces swelling/inflammation. You should NOT take Ibuprofren or NSAID before surgery or while you have bleeding as it may make you bleed longer, so if you ever get a bruised leg (hematoma, etc), place ice for the first 24-48 hours. Dont use Ibuprofen until after 24 hours (enought time for bleeding to stop). Use Ice only (heat will make it bleed). Only after 48 hours (2 days...should you apply heat but you can continue using ice anytime). Heat can actually stimulate nerves where ice has a more numbing effect. Also, Tylenol has no effect on inflammation and does not effect stomach problems...but has to be metabolized by liver thus making it harder on the liver. Ibuprofen does not affect liver. Hope this helps everyone for those who dont have much medical background.

Since you know what you are talking about would you recommend probiotics after completing 10 days on antibiotics ?

Yes, probiotics have been shown to help decrease bowel problems, yeast infections, IBS as well as minimize the decstructive effects of antibiotics (helps stabilize natural flora in body). You can also take these during antibiotics. Examples would be in yogurts.

Sorry Kristin. I hate even getting my teeth cleaned let alone fillings and I'm not going to mention oral surg :shutup: Luckily I havent had a cavity in 20 years.

Hope ya get to feelin better. That sux you cant take nsaids much. I live on em' for my back.

Back