Mirrors for downforce?

mike miller

Registered
I ran into an article saying the busa designed the mirrors to provide extra downforce at high speed. Anyone have more info on this. I know most guys including myself have them removed but if this is true maybe putting them back on could be beneficial for a street/track bike.

From the article it said only the hayabusa benefits from the design of the mirror being incorporated into the aerodynamic resistance.

Yes and the 14's grills are to increase laminar air flow whatever the hell that is. IDK----I really do want the essential principle of design, "form follows function" to be adhered to when it comes to our bikes but after a while, there is a certain charm with the superfluous details of the designs. There is supposed to be some purpose to the assymetry of the s1000rr too. I forget what it is but I don't care. I don't want to see it any other way way now.

One thing I do notice on highway riding is with the mirrors on there's alot less air hitting me, with just block offs on you feel alot more air coming at you. So I guess they do help route the air away from the rider but as far as helping or hurting top speed I guess only high speed testing will determine that.

You might be onto something there. If you go 150+ or so you will notice the bubble of clean air that develops around the bike. Being on the large side, I have to be positioned just right to fit in it. The mirrors might make that bubble wider, and that would absolutely reduce drag. Not sure how that makes downforce though.

While I would like to be able to say that downforce was my goal (it wasnt) I was just trying to get a better view, so I made these extensions.
5gSmNk_oRNbZbskne3TC6E-z-z1ILWaHqIzbW96u2t9IokPwCzAOM7I-g2pynn4k1AafU3x0r4J_xuvvro=w1688-h949-no.jpg

Back