Mirrors for downforce?

mike miller

Registered
I ran into an article saying the busa designed the mirrors to provide extra downforce at high speed. Anyone have more info on this. I know most guys including myself have them removed but if this is true maybe putting them back on could be beneficial for a street/track bike.

mike miller

Registered
Ya i was wondering. From the article it said only the hayabusa benefits from the design of the mirror being incorporated into the aerodynamic resistance.

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Well if you have to have mirrors, which road bikes must, then I suppose the Busa mirrors might be better than others. But no way they are better than no mirrors IMHO.

Mythos

Registered
From the article it said only the hayabusa benefits from the design of the mirror being incorporated into the aerodynamic resistance.
Yes and the 14's grills are to increase laminar air flow whatever the hell that is. IDK----I really do want the essential principle of design, "form follows function" to be adhered to when it comes to our bikes but after a while, there is a certain charm with the superfluous details of the designs. There is supposed to be some purpose to the assymetry of the s1000rr too. I forget what it is but I don't care. I don't want to see it any other way way now.

c10

Registered
The George Forman grill on the ZX14 WAS ORIGINALLY designed into the ZX12, but was scraped

Getn off

Registered
IF they really do add downforce, then it would probably effect top end speed as it does cars. Unless this thing starts to float at the top end, which I highly doubt. Interesting none the less.
Troy

mike miller

Registered
One thing I do notice on highway riding is with the mirrors on there's alot less air hitting me, with just block offs on you feel alot more air coming at you. So I guess they do help route the air away from the rider but as far as helping or hurting top speed I guess only high speed testing will determine that.

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
One thing I do notice on highway riding is with the mirrors on there's alot less air hitting me, with just block offs on you feel alot more air coming at you. So I guess they do help route the air away from the rider but as far as helping or hurting top speed I guess only high speed testing will determine that.
You might be onto something there. If you go 150+ or so you will notice the bubble of clean air that develops around the bike. Being on the large side, I have to be positioned just right to fit in it. The mirrors might make that bubble wider, and that would absolutely reduce drag. Not sure how that makes downforce though.

Quart

Registered
So far I know,no mirrors = +5kph (unless you are wider with your body than the air bubble without mirrors).

mike miller

Registered
The funny thing is the article said when they folded the busa mirror's in they lost a few mph compared to being out

Latest Bikes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayski