Mirror mod...

BigGeorge

BigGeorge
Donating Member
Registered
I wanted a little something different with my mirrors. So - of course - BrendanP had the plan: Install an Acumen gear indicator and paint the mirrors phantom grey. I bought an arosole can of Colorite ($40), bought an Acumen ($120), took off my mirrors and made my way to Brendan's house.

First, he baked the mirrors and removed the glass. Next, he prepped them with Bulldog

mirror09.jpg

mirror06.jpg

And then hung them out to dry

mirror11.jpg

Next came the painting. You'll be amazed at the quality of the paint out of the can. Pictures don't do the quality justice!!

mirror07.jpg

mirror08.jpg

After drying, next came the clearcoat

mirror06.jpg

<!--EDIT|BigGeorge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155138977 -->

mirror06.jpg

And again with the drying.

mirror12.jpg

I don't have any photos of the Acumen install. But all I can say is DAMN! Brendan went through the chore of fabricating a mount that he installed inside my mirror and is mounted with a screw. The Acumen is then set inside the mount and then held in place with epoxy. There is NO WAY the Acumen can move or EVER fall out. Wish I had a photo, but I'm sure Brendan does. He bead blasted the mirror with a rather stylish design and also included a blasted spot for the Acumen's light sensor.

And here's the mounted mirrors

mirror05.jpg

mirror01.jpg

mirror02.jpg

mirror03.jpg

mirror04.jpg

busa_at_night.jpg

BTW... this mod was done over a month ago. I went to install my Acumen mirror and broke a clip on the plug. I just got fixed it last night by splicing the wires and adding a little more length because I have the mirror risers.

All in all... another ABSOLUTELY TREMENDOUS job by Brendan! What a great guy! Thanks, Bro!!

<!--EDIT|BigGeorge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155139023 -->

it's him...i see them fine

BTW,thatks for the plug bro.

here is the plastic bracket,not a great pic though...

DSC00290.jpg

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155140430 -->

biggrin.gif
Noooooooo! I'm all good now though! Seriously, I didn't see any pics but I do now.

Great job!

That gauge reflection under the V-Flow rocks! Mirrors look awesome... I was wondering what had become of Brendan's mirror projects...

That gauge reflection under the V-Flow rocks!  Mirrors look awesome... I was wondering what had become of Brendan's mirror projects...
Thanks! I don't get that reflection when I'm riding at night because of the light shining through the front of the screen. In the garage, the relection made for a nice pic.

I was wondering what had become of Brendan's mirror projects... [/Quote]
I'm not one to brag Shawn,so I just wait till George does my dirty work!!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I was wondering what had become of Brendan's mirror projects...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
[/Quote]
cool.gif
:42:

biggrin.gif

(brendanp @ Aug. 09 2006,12:22)
I was wondering what had become of Brendan's mirror projects...
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Brendan does the mods, I shoot the photos and do the writeup. Brendan is the MAN!  :42:

biggrin.gif

Does BullDog come in a spray can?[/Quote]Yes,here is a link...

clicky

Normally,you whipe down your plastic first with lacquer thinner,then spray 3 coats of bulldog,,then color,then clearcoat.
One other thing,it was a real paint to put the glass back in after paint.
If you do this,take the glass out,install the acumen/bracket,put glass in,mask off mirror,paint...

And BTW,the color rite spray can phantom grey was really nice to use,even outta a spray can.
looks very professional,not like your average paint can project!

Back