Minor Backfiring & Other Stuff

HalfHourEarly

Registered
Guys, I'm new to the group and am trying to absorb some technical knowledge from you guys since I am just a beginner mayself. Also, There is very little local help available here in Newfoundland, Canada and I beleive I'm the only 99 rider in the Province.

Anyway, I have several issues that may be connected and would appreciate some opinions. I will likely have to bring it to the local shop for the work but I would like to understand what's going on. Here goes:

- 99 with 26,000km (16,000mi)

1) I have been getting some baffling and recently some small pops of backfiring when I deccelerate.

2) Since the beginning of the season I have noted a whistling noise when I accelerate. Much like the sound of a Turbo whistle.

3) I have no access to a dyno here in Newfoundland but I am convinced that my performance is deteriorating.

4) The bike has an oil pressure cam chain tensioner but I'm getting a fairly noisy chatter when idling.

I don't know if any of this is related to one specific problem but I would really appreciate any help. I am trying my best to get educated, since we don't have a great service center here. I had a service done at 24000km but I don't know what they did other than change the oil and install my new chain and sprockets.

Thanks

Halfhourearly

HalfHourEarly,

Well,

Item 1, Stock exhaust or aftermarket? If aftermarket, remove the pair valve if not already done. If Stock, the pair valve diaphram is going bad.

Item 2, No Idea.

Item 3, Possible

Item 4, Did your 99 have the cam tensioner recall done? If not, that's the problem. If it was done, then it needs to be looked at.

The 24k service included the (should have), adjustment of the valves. Maybe one was left loose, that could also make the noise and the loss in power.

Stealth

Stealth_Busa

Thanks for the quick reply. My bike still has the stock exhaust and everything else is stock as well. Any advice on checking to see if it is the PAIR Valve diaphram?

Regarding the CC Tensioner, the service record shows that it was replaced twice. The one that is on the bike now is an automatic that runs off the oil pressure. I'm not sure if this type was prone to failure as well.

Thanks again for the help. Keep it coming.

Halfhourearly

HalfHourEarly,

The pair valve has to be checked by a leak down test perfomed at the shop.

The noise could be a valve then, not the cct.

Stealth

Welcome to the board HHE...

Is the chatter while the clutch is out in Neutral?  If so, mine has done that since day one...  I think it is just a bit on the noisy side.

Dunno about the others, except what was covered by Stealth.

Good-luck bud!

With every stock, it definately shouldn't be backfiring. Busa's can have chattering(mild) hard to tell on yours since I can't hear. Sorry

Hey HalfHour...Welcome to the board.

I am thinking that #2 could be just intake noise, but I wonder if you have checked the Air Filter and your Air Box and intakes, if something is out of wack there it could lead to extra whistling.

Another thought would be to get some PAIR block off plates and simply remove the PAIR altogether would be much cheaper than getting it fixed.

Revlis

I am hoping that it is something related to the air intake. I will try to get that apart and check everything. I looked at the air filter but that looks clean. Is there any downside to removing the PAIR completely?

Thanks for the help.

Halfhourearly

dezzy7,

The only downside is if they start checking for it during inspections. It is emissions equipment. like an early smog pump.l

Stealth

Unless your living in Ca, you shouldn't have to worry too much about them looking for pair valve during inspections. If they do, then just keep the valve at home so when you go to get the insp. you can put it back on just to shut them up and get your sticker.

Unless your living in Ca, you shouldn't have to worry too much about them looking for pair valve during inspections. If they do, then just keep the valve at home so when you go to get the insp. you can put it back on just to shut them up and get your sticker.

We don't have vehicle inspections in California like in other states. The only inspection they do is during a car/truck smog inspection and test. And then they are only looking for the smog components. Motorcycles are not smogged yet. We don't have any safety inspection like we had in Texas. I think New Jersey does them too. But for bikes in CA there is no smog inspection. There is just a sticker saying it is illegal to modify the smog system as it came from the factory. I guess they could add it on to other criminal ativity if they were trying to pile on. They would have to be looking for it.

We don't have vehicle inspections in California like in other states. The only inspection they do is during a car/truck smog inspection and test. And then they are only looking for the smog components. Motorcycles are not smogged yet. We don't have any safety inspection like we had in Texas. I think New Jersey does them too. But for bikes in CA there is no smog inspection. There is just a sticker saying it is illegal to modify the smog system as it came from the factory. I guess they could add it on to other criminal ativity if they were trying to pile on. They would have to be looking for it.
Texas don't have it either yank it off

Welcome to the board........lose the pair!!!!
beerchug.gif

Thanks guys. Romoved the PAIR this wekend and the backfiring stopped. It's strange that it happened even on a stock exhaust but it's gone now.

Thanks again

HalfHourEarly

hi guys im new on thje board, was reading through and i have the same problem as halfhourearly, all stock pipes etc... 5000 miles on the busa and backfiring like hell. how can i remove the PAIR VALVE? any idea, can i do it myself? replace it with something else?
thank u all.
cheers,

Back