Minimal damage under the stator cover

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I pulled the bike apart last night...didn't take long to find out what happened, though I honestly don't know the reason why. I used loctite, and yes, it was the kind recommended in the instructions...didn't tighten 'em enough perhaps? Or working with an oil filled compartment compromised the loctite's effectiveness? What do I know?

Anyway, it's quite obvious...lots of metal flake to clean up (clearly seen sticking to every magnetic part), but from what I can tell, it's from the damaged bolt and not wear on other parts.

sm_boltbackedout.JPG

This is exactly how it looked when I pulled it apart...that damaged bolt is stuck, so I'll need Mike's help to get it out and not damage anything further. The other two bolts were working their way out as well...all 3, crap...every other bolt I put in is holding...
mad.gif

sm_all_loosened.JPG

You can see where the bolt was rubbing, but the surface feels consistent and I don't think anything's been damaged too badly...I hope
smile.gif

sm_rubbing.JPG

And my helpers for the evening because Mike had to work late...they'll be helping me get it back together and change the oil and filter as soon as this is fixed...
biggrin.gif
They were both very helpful and suddenly thought my bike was cool (Dad's brainwashed 'em to think Harleys are all that matters)
laugh.gif

sm_kidshelping.JPG

don't leave no metal behind that could scar a engine.should change the oil and filter to be safe.

I spoke too soon on the oil change

Looks pretty much inconsequential, for the most part. Just a little scare.

Hope you get it back in shape momentarily.

--Wag--

(proud dad @ Jul. 26 2007,08:36) don't leave no metal behind that could scar a engine.should change the oil and filter to be safe.
Yep, on the list...

(Wag @ Jul. 26 2007,08:36) Looks pretty much inconsequential, for the most part.  Just a little scare.

Hope you get it back in shape momentarily.

--Wag--
It was better than I thought...I was really afraid I'd pull that stator cover off and see huge chucks of metal
crazy.gif

Just a bump in the road...

Anyone that's putting a new cover on, just tighten those bolts down good...maybe use some duct tape
laugh.gif

One more shot of the boys helping me...they'll love seeing this thread
biggrin.gif

So, that's it guys and gals...just don't mess up like I did!
wink.gif
NOT a problem with the stator cover itself, which I never thought it was...so, install 'em because they look good...
cool.gif

sm_kidshot.JPG

(proud dad @ Jul. 26 2007,08:50) I looked up the torque specs....3 stator bolts 7 ft. lbs.
                                                   stater cover bolts 7 ft.lbs.

or 84 in. lbs.
THANK YOU! I was just going to look for that myself!!!

Awesome...
bowdown.gif

I’m glad it doesn’t look too bad.

A common failure of thread locking compounds is inadequate surface preparation. The oil will prevent it from doing its job. I use electrical contact cleaner. Look for something advertised as leaving no residue. If it is really bad, I use a heavier duty cleaner made for brakes, air dry and then use the electrical contact cleaner. In critical fasteners that were common to loosen (virtually everything that was on my Harley) I use a activator/primer for anaerobic sealers.

Short story get it squeaky clean with some contact cleaner and put it back together with some thread locker.

(Professor @ Jul. 26 2007,09:01) I’m glad it doesn’t look too bad.

A common failure of thread locking compounds is inadequate surface preparation. The oil will prevent it from doing its job. I use electrical contact cleaner. Look for something advertised as leaving no residue. If it is really bad, I use a heavier duty cleaner made for brakes, air dry and then use the electrical contact cleaner. In critical fasteners that were common to loosen (virtually everything that was on my Harley) I use a activator/primer for anaerobic sealers.

Short story get it squeaky clean with some contact cleaner and put it back together with some thread locker.
Hey 'Chelle, maybe you should've used nail polish!
laugh.gif

Glad it isn't worse. How'd you know things were amiss? I missed thread I guess.
sad.gif

(Professor @ Jul. 26 2007,09:01) I’m glad it doesn’t look too bad.

Will do...thanks Rick!
beerchug.gif

I'm still learning guys...not too much flogging please
laugh.gif
And I did not prep the entire area by cleaning off all of the oil, so that's probably exactly what happened...

Live and learn and perhaps someone will avoid screwing up like I did
wink.gif

(PDBusa @ Jul. 26 2007,09:04) Glad it isn't worse. How'd you know things were amiss? I missed thread I guess.  
sad.gif
I got stuck at work and we had to trailer my Busa home
sad.gif
 The thread took on some post 'hoing, as they all do when I'm involved
laugh.gif

Damn, I so could have gotten a good laugh if I'd pulled that stator cover and took shots of all the TP gumming up the works - could have blamed it on you guys...
biggrin.gif

sad.gif

Glad it wasn't any worse, Michelle! Looks like it will clean up OK. Like Rick said - get everything as clean as possible and then use thread locker...

Hope you're back on Caesar soon!

Back