Mini air box mod stock bike gen 1

michael t

Registered
This mini air box mod is for stock Gen 1 or those with slip on's and after market filters.
I have a BMC filter , R22 slip on's and GlPro with the timing retard off. .
I have read all the posts here about the small air box mod and most say not to do with a stock bike. I thought this over and believed their is something to be gain with out loss of low end torque on a stock bike . I have no dyno except seat of pants and a spot I can go thru 1 and 2nd gear in to 3rd then hard on brake . Roads are crooked in my area.. . If you do this mod and don't like well little plastic and epoxy and you back stock. I bought a used air box on e bay for 20 bucks. with a new stock filter. To tinker with. Add the 4into 1 and other you can easy move up to small box mod at that time .

Any way here my mini mod

Remove air box from bike and remove filter.
Looking inside of the air box next to the tower you will see on each side a circle .. Drill a 1/2 hole in each . Now staying inside the lip cut from one circle to the other. Going down from tower . When finished you want a 1/2 inch slot in a sort of this shape \_/ Smooth and clean up all rough edges . Thats it. Vacuum flapper tower are still their.

What you have done is approx doubled the inches of air flow . Yet at low speed 6th gear at 1k it will still pull away easy. If you go to WOT in 6th at 1K it will have a small flat spot. But I see no reason to being doing that.
On my bike the flapper door slams open just shy of 3K Hitting throttle in 1st gear you have good response no lost and you start getting more in the mid range and up . Also can hear it. :laugh:.
I have not changed my stacks they are still 2 long and 2 short On street I would leave that way On drag strip I might try all short.
I have in past few days rode over a 100 miles and done several 1k 6th gear normal acceleration roll on's and a few 2K 1st gear WOT roll on's up thru 2nd into 3rd., I am near 65 and to old with bad legs to try drag launch . Those days are over.

If you drag a stock bike and try please report you findings Remember Trap speed will increase if really working .
Hey if only 1 or 2 HP its free and might be enough to beat you buddy's Busa. Any way you can still claim you never touched the motor. :rofl:

Back