Military: McCrystal gets canned...

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Was there ever any doubt? At the GO (General Officer) level:

Rule #1: NEVER say ANYTHING to the press that you don't want said on every newspaper or news show in America. You always have to be on guard with what you say and how you say it.

Rule #2: Make sure your Chief of Staff thoroughly understands Rule #1 and keeps you (and others on your staff) from inserting foot in mouth in front of reporter.

Hate to see it happen, but there was little doubt. This guy and those on his staff were (are) studs/shooters. There is no doubt that he and most of his staff have PERSONALLY dispached some misguided Muslim or other assorted bad guys to Allah. It is a true shame after 30+ years of distinguished service, he got canned because some not-for-public comments got out, and by, no-less, than a 30-something, bearded toker Rolling Stone correspondent. What a shame. Way to go Rolling Stone I hope you are proud of yourself (I'm sure in some misguided way, you are).

I was an aide to a GO for several years, and have several who remained my friends and mentors; one of my jobs was to keep my boss from saying something 'non-Generallike' in the earshot of someone that it might offend or get him in trouble - and there was plenty. These guys work unbelieveable hours in stressful situations that most could NOT handle, and they MUST relieve that battle stress - usually thru humor. You just have to make sure that you trust WHO and WHERE you vent. I really blame his staff for letting him down by running THEIR mouths in the wrong company and not keeping their boss out of hot water.

Thank you, GEN Stanley McCrystal for your long and distinguished service to our great Nation SIR. HOOAH! There is still plenty of honor in doing stuff for our nation OUTSIDE of the military.

I read Petraeus taking a step down to take command was a) what he wanted, and b) he probably got promised the CoS or CJCS job once it's over. Also, if he succeeds, it practically guarantees a political career after his retirement if he wants it. He WROTE COIN and has a better sense of laying low on the press than McCrystal apparently did.

Present and former military, chime in...

I agree with you. Hate to see him go, but those comments could only end one way. Rolling Stone screwed him over when those comments were supposed to be off record. I wonder what was said in the meeting with Obama?

I worked for Gen McChrystal and he is a straight shooter. Definitely blame his staff for not taking care of him. I know his now former media aide (Duncan Boothby) and he has too much experience to have let that happen. I also worked for Gen Petraeus and while he may have wanted a step back for future endeavors he was probably the leader with the most time in the area in comparison to all GOs under consideration. He doesn't have a lot of time to develop a successful plan with a responsible exit strategy, but he definitely has the mind for it. Afghanistan has always been the more difficult of our 2 current, big battles and I don't believe we have given it its due.

I don't blame Gen. McCrystal for what he said (heck it's probably the truth), I blame leadership that put him in charge to do a job and then tie his hands and take away what he needs to do that job. It shouldn't have gotten out but then again maybe he was sick of the BS and wanted it out there.

My only thoughts are when are they going to make it a requirement to serve in the US military to be President of the United States...?

For public consumption? Absolutely not - but in today's environment, the General is the man needed for the job he was in. I, for one am sad to see him go - though admittedly, the President really had no options - and neither did the General.

Semper Fidelis, General McChrystal - OOhrah.

Behind personal closed doors...maybe those kind of comments are acceptable....and I say maybe As a person of his rank & position should know not to speak so negatively about his Commander In Chief in front of anyone in my opinion.

Let alone a civi.....especially a civi reporter! :rulez:

My only thoughts are when are they going to make it a requirement to serve in the US military to be President of the United States...?

The Founding Fathers were actually very cautious about military Presidents since so many dictatorships started out that way. It's nice to have the experience, but it shouldn't be a requirement in my opinion.

I worked for Gen McChrystal and he is a straight shooter. Definitely blame his staff for not taking care of him. I know his now former media aide (Duncan Boothby) and he has too much experience to have let that happen. I also worked for Gen Petraeus and while he may have wanted a step back for future endeavors he was probably the leader with the most time in the area in comparison to all GOs under consideration. He doesn't have a lot of time to develop a successful plan with a responsible exit strategy, but he definitely has the mind for it. Afghanistan has always been the more difficult of our 2 current, big battles and I don't believe we have given it its due.

Thank you for ur service...agree Patraeus was best choice has instant respect of soldier and will be easiest and most seamless transition without affecting battle rhythm

The Founding Fathers were actually very cautious about military Presidents since so many dictatorships started out that way. It's nice to have the experience, but it shouldn't be a requirement in my opinion.

I guess it's the experience I'm looking for in a Commander In Chief.... :poke:

Kind of like the butter bar just out of OTS/OCS trying to take over the world for medals. It takes the 1st Sgt or someone pulling him to the side to explain the proper way of doing things... ;)

As an elisted guy with only 15 years of service, I knew that he was going to be let go for his comments. Hell all of us in my shop knew this was going to be the outcome. All of us in service know that you should never speak to the press except through the public affairs office. That being said, I believe that the General was speaking his mind, and just maybe it was intentionally released to the public by the General? FWIW, I agree with the General's sentiments on the CoC if the details of their meeting were true.

Back