Military Guys, I NEED ADVICE...

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, this is kinda hard for me to post, but here goes...

So this "friend" of mine is in some trouble. He is active military, an officer, and was caught under the influence of alcohol at his job (he works intel). He was taken to the hospital and it was determined that he was a few times ABOVE the legal limit and is now facing some pretty harsh charges such as, but not limited to...
1. Conduct unbecoming and officer
2. Dereliction of Duty

I basically need to know what steps he should take and what he will be facing in the near future. I'm not going to divulge much more info as this person is alot closer to me than I am letting on.

Thanks for the help guys/ladies. Anything you can add would be greatly appreciated. No derrogatory comments please, I know this what he did is wrong and I am very broken up about it at the moment.

Chemist.

Thought I might be able to offer you something having been a military spouse for 12 years and volunteered for hubby's command...but you stumped me.

I can offer you a "your in my thoughts and I hope it all works out."

Officers take care of their own. He will probably no longer be promotable. However, in this time of high ops tempo and war, they may be very lenient on him. He may just have to attend a twelve step program and undergo regular breathalyzers.

Having been in the military (21 years ago) and having been in intel myself. The things i saw happen back then in similar situations were not good. But then again this was for enlisted people. I can not tell you how things are now, and for that I am sorry, but I can say that I hope for the best for all of you.

If he was Enlisted he'd be screwed! If he's Commissioned they will be much more relaxed about it, but his chain of command might make an example out of him. They will keep it fairly quiet to avoid further embaressment in the officer ranks. He probably will loose any promoteable status for a while. If he doesn't like the result he has to option to resign. An Enlisted person doesn't have that option.

Best of luck to him. I hope he learns something out of this without having to get slammed.

it depends on his history and who's willing to go to bat for him.  also branch.  If he was Air Force they'd probably court martial him.  Most services have a zero tolerance policy.  If they went thru the hastle of taking him to the clinic for blood test it doesn't look good.  Probably not what you want to hear. He'll probably need character letters from anyone who will write em. Consult with the area defence council and even possibly a civilian lawyer. 

good luck

She/he is a human being in need of help.

I hope that whatever the military outcome, a liveable solution for the individual is all we're left with.

Tough sitch. Wishing the best for you and your friend. Be strong for her/him. They need you now more than ever.

Scar

Thanks for the responses everyone, and the best wishes.

I feel close enough to everyone here and trust you all will respect the discretion that this situation needs. With that being said, this is not merely a "friend", this is my younger brother.

The branch of military IS the Air Force, so I hope this does not end up as a worst case scenario.

I agree, he is definately in need of help and support at this point in time. My family and I will be doing everything in our power to help him thru this. I can't even imagine how this must be weighing on him.

I can attest to his character and will be honest in saying that he is the LAST person I would have ever expected this kind of behavior out of. He has always been a VERY strong christian, but I think things have just been a bit overwhelming with his new assignment and other personal issues he has been dealing with.

Everyone, I just ask that you continue to pray for him and I pray that the outcome will not be of such severity as to end his military career or worse.

Sorry to hear it, bro. Alcohol is a very tough subject in the military (officer or enlisted) and I believe the AF is harder than the other services with punishment. Believe ultimately it will depend on his circle of influence, but would expect at least a general officer letter of reprimand which will mean no future promotion. That will give him a couple of options as I'm sure Shawn has talked to you about.

PM me w/ details...

It really depends on the type of Intel, his rank and command level, his record and other cirumstances in his life. The AF is 120% overmanned on officers, so there's a strong possibility he will be released. We have a zero tolerance policy. I had two Airmen under my supervision who were drunk on duty and had mushrooms in their dormrooms, they spent time in federal prison. If he has an SCI or above clearance, he will lose it. Best case scenario is he gets a reprimand, nonvoluntary admittance to ADAPT program, non-promotable, and moved to an administrative position that is not g-rated, will not command. More than likely, he will get Article 15 and loose commission. His superiors are obligated to take action to cover their own asses.
Tell him to talk with ADC and get a lawyer now.

Article 112 of UCMJ:

"Any person subject to this chapter other than sentinel or look-out, who is found drunk on duty, shall be punished as a court-martial may direct."￾

Elements.

(1) That the accused was on a certain duty; and

(2) That the accused was found drunk while on this duty.

Explanation.

(1) Drunk.

(2) Duty. "Duty"￾ as used in this article means military duty. Every duty which an officer or en-listed person may legally be required by superior authority to execute is necessarily a military duty. Within the meaning of this article, when in the actual exercise of command, the commander of a post, or of a command, or of a detachment in the field is constantly on duty, as is the commanding officer on board a ship. In the case of other officers or enlisted persons, "on duty"￾ relates to duties or routine or detail, in garrison, at a station, or in the field, and does not relate to those periods when, no duty being required of them by orders or regulations, officers and enlisted persons occupy the status of leisure known as "off duty"￾ or "on liberty."￾ In a region of active hostilities, the circumstances are often such that all members of a command may properly be considered as being continuously on duty within the meaning of this article. So also, an officer of the day and members of the guard, or of the watch, are on duty during their entire tour within the meaning of this article.

(3) Nature of offense. It is necessary that the accused be found drunk while actually on the duty alleged, and the fact the accused became drunk before going on duty, although material in extenuation, does not affect the question of guilt. If, however, the accused does not undertake the responsibility or enter upon the duty at all, the accused's conduct does not fall within the terms of this article, nor does that of a person who absents himself or herself from duty and is found drunk while so absent. Included within the article is drunkenness while on duty of an anticipatory nature such as that of an aircraft crew ordered to stand by for flight duty, or of an enlisted person ordered to stand by for guard duty.

(4) Defenses. If the accused is known by superior authorities to be drunk at the time a duty is assigned, and the accused is thereafter allowed to assume that duty anyway, or if the drunkenness results from an accidental over dosage administered for medicinal purposes, the accused will have a defense to this offense.

One of the best things he can do is say he thinks he has a problem then instead of it being a mistake it is something the military needs to deal with and not turn its back on. they will help him then let him do his time in rehab or such and move on. It may slow his promotion cycle if not stop it but if he puts in foot time from here on out and does a great job he can make great money in the privats sector.

One of the best things he can do is say he thinks he has a problem then instead of it being a mistake it is something the military needs to deal with and not turn its back on. they will help him then let him do his time in rehab or such and move on. It may slow his promotion cycle if not stop it but if he puts in foot time from here on out and does a great job he can make great money in the privats sector.
I am inclined to agree with this based on everything we were taught in the service. They were always talking about rehabilitating people who admit they have problems. Whether it is a problem involving controlled substances or alcohol may have a different approach. Getting busted without first admitting it has resulted in severe consequences for people I have known (MDMA-Ectasy).

I used to be an MP in the Army, those are some pretty serious charges. It'll be worse if he was on duty and they caught him intoxicated. The bad thing is, they tend to be harsher on the junior officers and more lax on the more senior officers. I wish you and him the best of luck...

Only one thing too do... face the Music. There's just no real honorable way around it. Head straight to the CO and tell all before the police, OSI, etc do it for em'. You know as well as anyone that your friend is going to have his/her clearance pulled until it's all cleared up, no way around it. Especially if your friend is holding a TS/SCI +++ You know all them fun letters that follow. Those clearance will be AND SHOULD BE pulled until the situation has been resolved.

A person ANY person holding High level clearances should know better and have better self control. The fact that your friend is an Officer and holds an assumed high level clearance means that YES they are held to a higher standard and an incident like this demonstrates an alarming lack of self discipline, and a disturbing lack of decision making ability.

So ONLY way to recover even a little tiny bit of Honor is to have your friend step up, head straight to the CO, First Shirt, etc. and face the music.

Pretty much drinking and driving = DumbA$$ going down in flames... Learn and move on.

There's NO excuse, and the DoD is pretty clear cut.

As Rev said... the biggest issue is the clearance. Since they actually sent him for a fit for duty physical, it will be hard not to drop the hammer on this one. However; if there are issues surrounding the incident that contributed - it would be best to be open and get those things out in the open now while facing the music.

Prayers are sent.. but the military takes alcohol a lot more seriously than they use to.. and I hope no matter what that he comes through the situation with his head up.

Back