Military Folks & Runners...

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
The other day I was lying on the floor working on my bike and I accidentally dipped my foot into a bowl containing 3.8 quarts of used oil. :banghead:
It was almost time for new shoes, and I never really liked the old ones anyway.

I'm interested in the New Balance 993, and I know plenty of you have extensive experience with them. I wouldn't get them in service colors because I'm not a member, but they still look good.

They're pretty expensive, so I was hoping to get some of your thoughts and opinions on them first.

Thanks!

STS00674a.jpg

I have been running in the military for quite some time, I do it because I am told to and hate it. My knees would hurt every day from running because of the impact on my feet going up my legs. It was to the point where I would have to just lay up on weekends just to get to where I could move well again during the duty day.

I switched to the bare foot type shoe made by Nike called the Free Run and have had zero problems. I still do not like to run, as a matter of fact we ran this morning and it was balls hot and it sucked, but my knees do not hurt.

It is important to find the right shoe for you. I would say try the free runs, a lot of guys like the Merrills though, but they did not fit me right.

Hope this helps.

I've seen the "barefoot" type of shoes around quite a bit lately. I actually see several people running around campus with no shoes at all. The only thing that worries me about them is I'm a pretty big guy, so I could use a little something extra to absorb the shock between my feet and the ground. I don't want to put too much impact on the knees right now. Thanks for the insight though, I definitely think it's an interesting concept. :thumbsup:

My last two pairs have been New Balance, and they seem to fit better than the Nike's that I wore for years previous.

New Balance has different "lasts" to accommodate different foot shapes and individual needs. I've had the SL-1 last (Model 725) and the PL-1 last (model 760). I loved the 725's, but the 760's hurt the muscles around my ankles if I walked long distances in them.

The 993 is an SL-1 and is available in 14-EE, so I should be good in the sizing/fit area.

Tell me about the Free Runs Sous. Now that I'm retired, i only have to run if I WANT to (spend more time on the elliptical to save my knees) but I'd like to hear about it.

My favorite Nike's were the ones that were soft like a sock and you could pull them on without lacing if you wanted to. I still have an old, chewed up pair left but can't run in them anymore I really wish they hadn't stopped making them haven't found a pair of Nike's I liked since.

The ones in the picture are the Nikes that I have. They are very, very lightweight which helps cut down on fatigue. They still have a bit padding on the bottom, but as you can see bend at many more points than a regular running shoe does. I bought them about 2 years ago I guess it is now and have not looked back since. The shoe does not have a tongue on it to cut down on weight and rubbing issues. It fits like you mentioned Skydivr, like a sock but with laces. I have not put mine on without lacing, but I think it would be possible. They have a form that allows for you to take a more barefoot approach to running, but still provide the support that some of older guys need.

These shoes work very well for me and I will have a pair for the rest of military career. The amount of pain I have negated by using these is well worth the $100 I paid for them.

Nike-Free-Run+-WhiteRed.jpg

EDIT: My wife was always trying to get me to train on an elliptical, but I feel that I must train how I am going to be tested. This of course led to her dealing with me being crabby because my knees ached constantly. Don't get me wrong here and think these shoes cure all pain. I still get sore from running, but not where my bones are aching from being slammed together for hours on end.

The ones in the picture are the Nikes that I have. They are very, very lightweight which helps cut down on fatigue. They still have a bit padding on the bottom, but as you can see bend at many more points than a regular running shoe does. I bought them about 2 years ago I guess it is now and have not looked back since. The shoe does not have a tongue on it to cut down on weight and rubbing issues. It fits like you mentioned Skydivr, like a sock but with laces. I have not put mine on without lacing, but I think it would be possible. They have a form that allows for you to take a more barefoot approach to running, but still provide the support that some of older guys need.

These shoes work very well for me and I will have a pair for the rest of military career. The amount of pain I have negated by using these is well worth the $100 I paid for them.

Well that's not exactly what I was thinking of... It looks like those do have some decent cushion to them. And I like the rolled heel. :thumbsup:

Sous, that's CLOSE to what I had before, and were the lightest best shoes I ever had, yet still provided some support for my ankles. You DO were socks with these, correct?

Edit: You are right: The elliptical does wonders for my cardiovascular, but I don't think it can replace actually running as your joints have to be able to take the pounding. I might recommend you split the workout - run a day, elliptical a day and you might get the best of both worlds - get your joints the break they need, but still get the cardio part.

The wife just started running in the "barefoot" style, she is doing well with it and enjoys it.
It took about 3-4 weeks for her to get back to where she was as a conventional runner.
Has no knee pain as before and has really improved her times. Completely different style running on your toes and takes a bit of getting use to.
This is what she wears.

Vibram FiveFingers - BIKILA LS

Well that's not exactly what I was thinking of... It looks like those do have some decent cushion to them. And I like the rolled heel. :thumbsup:

I find it much easier to transition into the next step with this shoe opposed to other running shoes I have purchased in the past. I actually decreased my 1.5 mile test distance run time down by over a minute when I got used to these. I now run a long distance run once a week and 2 other shorter distance runs in the same week and feel very confident in them.

Maybe I should email Nike this thread and tell them I want some cash money for being a sponsor :)

Sous, that's CLOSE to what I had before, and were the lightest best shoes I ever had, yet still provided some support for my ankles. You DO were socks with these, correct?

Yes, you do wear socks with these and it is recommended to do so. It is a barefoot style running shoe, but not as aggressive as a Merrill like in the picture below. Some of the other guys wear these and like them, but there is not enough padding for me I think and I do not have any interest in trying them.

Trek-Sport.jpg

Yes, you do wear socks with these and it is recommended to do so. It is a barefoot style running shoe, but not as aggressive as a Merrill like in the picture below. Some of the other guys wear these and like them, but there is not enough padding for me I think and I do not have any interest in trying them.

Trek-Sport.jpg

I ordered a set and we'll see. I don't think I'd be comfortable in these there is zero lateral protection for your ankle and toes with these. Good news is I don't HAVE to run if I don't WANT to !

I ordered a set and we'll see. I don't think I'd be comfortable in these there is zero lateral protection for your ankle and toes with these. Good news is I don't HAVE to run if I don't WANT to !

Keep us posted, I am really hoping that you like them and I did not talk them up too much. They work great for me and my style of running.

What exactly did you order?

Ok, some running knowledge for you guys. The natural style of running for us is to land mid-foot not on your heels which which is contrary to what was taught for years (80's) and thats why running shoe company's developed these huge padded shoes we have today.

The particular 'style' of running that conforms to the way the body is made is called Pose running. There are a couple of good books about it but if you read about it, it all makes sense. The minimalist shoes almost self correct because it hurts too much to land on your heels so you will naturally move to landing mid-foot like you supposed to. Now, having said that...DO NOT get these and go run if you have never used them. It takes time for your feet/body to get used to them so run 1 day (15-20 minutes) in them and wear your other shoes for a few days and slowly build time and distance in them.

Part 3 of this is regarding the point of the thread: go to a good running store (fleet feet/road runner sports...) where they can fit your running style and body with a shoe. It can make the biggest difference.

ok, thats it from me and I think this is the most I have ever written :)

I'm gonna be honest. I'm in the military and absolutely LOATHE running! I'm Air Force, what are WE ever gonna run from? If the fight ever gets that close, we're screwed anyways! But, on the other hand, New Balances are pretty much a good way to go though I agree with the above, the barefoot ones are awesome. I still loathe and despise running. Stupid running.

Back