Miles between oil changes

I use the Mobil 4T Racing. I've noticed if I go too much over 3 to 4k miles the shifting gets a little more difficult or "clunky". So I change at 3k just to keep it smooth. I also can trust that modern day synthetics don't break down near as much hence longer periods between changes. But I also make the point that one reason for changing my oil isn't because the oil is broke down but because it's dirty. The dirt that accumulates over a period of time with use and is obviously abrasive to the internals. Therefore I choose to change a little more often.

Something doesn't add up here. Why would the shifting get clunky after 3-4k miles. Maybe that oil is not so good, and because it's racing oil it quickly loses its properties, but keeps them well for a short period of time/mileage only. After all, there are so many race oriented parts which perform great for a race or two, but then degrade quickly and need to be replaced. Another question, any chance you are simply imagining it?

The dirt goes in and stays in the filter - that's why it's there. If not for the filter, riding for a 100 miles wouldn't be safe for the engine. On the other hand, thanks to the filter riding for thousands of miles is pretty safe for the engine.

Ig I'm the same way after about 3-4k miles my bike shifts different as well.
Not imagining it.

90% of my miles are long distance (200 + per ride), so I go with every 3,000 miles :beerchug:

My understanding is that the hardest part of an engine's life is starting and stopping. So I don't see how longer trips is actually hurting your engine any more than starting it 10 x for those 200 miles. :dunno:

Edit:

I'm with IG on this. I would be really interested to see a mag or someone come along and change a bikes oil every 15k and see how long the bike lasts. I honestly thing this bike would probably have a long life, especially with how well built most engines are these days. Look at the abuse the new Ford Ecoboost engine took, I'm willing to bet the Busa engine is just as well built (granted bike engines do take more stress with the higher rpms...??).

Ig I'm the same way after about 3-4k miles my bike shifts different as well.
Not imagining it.

Hmm... Maybe I am missing something. What oil do you use?

I'll try pay more attention how the shifting changes. Maybe I'll notice something. But the thing is I only upshift clutchless - not much play there - just click and done.

Back