mike1180 down

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
I've heard that mike1180 is down and hospitalized. He was a good and helpful member here. If anyone has information, please post. I believe Mike was out of Canada.

Oh no! I hope he's going to be back to 100% :please:

How did you hear the news Robert?

A reliable friend sent me a message, but no details. If you have contact info for bogus, I'd bet he knows what's up. I don't have the ability to contact anyone, no info.

I checked Bogus' site and I see mike1180 posted earlier today...no way to get with Randy...

I have messaged him and waiting for a reply.He just posted up that he will be in for at least 6 more day's and also posted a new helmet he just ordered so looking good that he is on the mend. Seems he has hit a Deer.:please:

I've got Randy's email and phone number I'll give him a buzz tomorrow and see what I can find out...

From Mike

Sooooo riding along minding my own business, beautiful twisty road next to a Lake in BC (DH1 actually in the Destination Highway BC book – check it. Pretty cool), slight uphill rock face to the left, forested drop off of 100 feet or so down to the right, no-one in sight, but I’m still a FOG (Fat Old Guy) and know it so I’m taking it easy. I wake up with a crowd around me, a few of them on cell phones, seeming frantic.
Wha? Stuff looks kind of blurry, I can’t speak but I know I am down. Lights out again, wake up next in the hospital, 15 miles away.
Sooooo anyone ever hit a Swamp Donkey (muley or whitetail variety, at this point, doesn’t matter which I guess)??
I never even caught a glimpse of him.
I guess he ran up the bank and was going to try and run across the road and climb that rock face (WTF??) with the associated slight detour through the eye port of my helmet.
(did I mention how good deer burger is? Tasty but not too bright, but TASTY).
I’m guessing he was running at 90 degrees to me as he crested the hill, and then got spooked and from almost behind, tried to jump in front of me to clear.
Did I mention I wanted a GO-PRO for my birthday (less than a month away?).
Darn that would have been worth the price of admission, or Priceless as the MasterCard ad would say.
He almost made it too. Didn’t touch the front (wheel, headlight, signal light, windshield, forks all ok).
His legs were hanging down the right side as he passed mid air so he took off the plastics on that side and back. Oh I did I mention he piled me off when he cross checked my whole body at a 90 degree angle?
(It’s hockey season now right? I guess he was trying out for the Habs?)
The shock ripped the visor clear off my Corsair V (that is a trick in itself, and it wasn’t even broken. It was though, full of deer hair.)
I of course must have done a slight dab to try and keep the bike upright (again I remember nothing of any of this….not even a glimpse).
BTW a dab at highway speed, although instinctive, leaves the right foot about 30 feet behind you with all the associated groin discomfort.
After some other unknown amount of gyrations, which wore down the frame sliders, case sliders, and some other insignificant parts, I guess I went down.
Rising to the occasion, I guess I jumped up, took off my helmet, and started to walk over to him to give him supreme **** for his error in judgment, when I dropped (so the crowd says anyway.)
Oh did I mention that you should lie still and not worry about trying to remove your helmet if this sort of thing happens?
I guess I’ll try and remember that for the NEXT TIME, some DF (that is short for Dumb Fu____) deer tries to blindside me and climb inside my helmet, through the visor, at highway speed.
So you don’t really need your pelvis do you?
A crack won’t diminish it’s value much will it?
And the increased value of being able to side step out about 12 feet with the right leg when you walk, well that is just special and will surely make up for a crack?
Great for dancing with the stars. Heyyyyy. anyway.
I guess the second hernia operation in that same spot will fix it eh?
Oh and don’t forget the tight chest and sore shoulders from where he took me off the bike, with a full in air body check, which feels like a perpetual heart attack.
Priceless like the ad says. Now I got aches and pains in places I never knew existed. MMmmmmm Deer Burger. Gotta love it.
All I can say is ATGATT.
I got a couple of friction burns through my leathers, the sheen was worn off the jacket and pants, and no marks at all on the boots or gloves and the helmet held up fine.
Ah yes the helmet. From the marks, you can see that Arai is the only reason I am even telling this tale.
I have never had anything but ARAI and I have never needed it, but that Corsair V, is worth it’s weight in gold today (well 3 days ago when I was whole and this happened.
This instant replay is time delayed until I can find 2 fingers that are not too sore to type).
Front impact with the deer at highway speed, and the rear rash marks as shown, and I’m still talking.
BEST EVER. I’ll never ride without one. Take a look at the marks on the road (from tires, boots, Leathers, sliders, helmet etc.) and man I was all over the place.
It just looks like plastics and paint at this point (from my reclining, elevating bed, with the associated Morphine, Tylenol 3’s and Gravol sensory enhancers), but I think it will be OK.
(I was going to say it will all probably buff out, but I don’t want to seem ridiculous)
Hey did I mention ATGATT? Yep first hand I know.
I didn’t even have a nano-second glimpse of all this and trust me, I watch.
I wouldn’t have made it to 61 if I was sleeping at any time.
I didn’t even know I was down until I woke up. I’m not really mobile now, but my brother took a few pics. Overall pretty lucky I guess.
I’ll post up more when I get mobile and can take some more pics. Ride safe brothers.

Oh and PS: A direct quote to my family from myself, “No, I’m not getting too old to ride….but I may consider than I am getting too old to crash” I just may have to give that one up Dang it.
Hey my mentor (85 years) always told me “don’t get old.” And did I listen? NOT. Look at me now.

Pics of the scene too blurry - later

Back