Might have to let her go.... :(

09BusaDrvr

Registered
So I'll make this short...

Back in my college soccer days I shattered my hand and had 2 major surgeries on it (I was a gk). Anyway, it was arthritic 15 years ago and it hasn't gotten any better. Recently, after only 10 minutes of riding I barely have enough grip strength to pull the brake lever..never a good thing. Even without that, I can't ride for more than 30 miles without my hand being in serious pain.

I'm thinking if I want to keep riding I may need to look at a less aggressive riding position. I was thinking of the BMW K 1600GT but I wanted to see what you guys thought I could do or if anyone had thoughts on the beemer.

No matter what, I'll still hang around the .org :beerchug:

I saw a sweet honda VFR1200 sport touring.Looks like a bimmer but costs less.Do whatever you need to keep riding.

I want a BMW K 1600GT :laugh: Not sure a bigger bike will be easier on the hand though, I think Honda makes an automatic, perhaps you could then move the brake to the left.

I'm not sure a different position or bike will 'fix' your problem?
A bike is a bike is a bike, all are gonna vibrate or have one little thing annoying.
Of all the bikes I've ridden the Busa is one of the most comfortable to me. I like the semi straight back position. A cruiser gives me too much curve in my back which hurts more.
How do you know the Beemer will be any better?

I'm not sure a different position or bike will 'fix' your problem?
A bike is a bike is a bike, all are gonna vibrate or have one little thing annoying.
Of all the bikes I've ridden the Busa is one of the most comfortable to me. I like the semi straight back position. A cruiser gives me too much curve in my back which hurts more.
How do you know the Beemer will be any better?

Blanca...I don't...I would have to go test ride it first. I think the busa is very comfortable as well, except for my right hand. There is a solid chance I may have to hang the boots up all together if I can't figure it out though.

Blanca...I don't...I would have to go test ride it first. I think the busa is very comfortable as well, except for my right hand. There is a solid chance I may have to hang the boots up all together if I can't figure it out though.

I hope that doesn't happen... keep your head up and hopefully you'll find a way to keep riding.

Maybe a thumb throttle or throttle rocker could help? Ill move the stress to a different, stronger part of your hand?

There was a vid up last week of an guy missing his right arm and leg and his throttle was on the left bar. I cant imagine it would be an off the shelf item, but maybe an option thats slightly cheaper than a new bike.

I am having hand/wrist problems too. The BMW has linked brakes, so if the hand fails you there is always the option to brake with the foot. Also has cruise so that would help. My helibars don't really help that much with the wrist pain. I like them but they don't take that much weight off the arms.

Hmmm....ok. Thinking outside of the box a bit......???

A:swap controls. Throttle/brake to left side......clutch/grip to the right?
B:some sort of isolation glove? Maybe the problem isn't related to bike at all?
C:I'm still thinking, lemme know what you think of A and B :)

i bet with a little tweaking and finding the right parts you could keep the busa, but you will have to mod her in a way that will suit you, there are defiantly other alternatives to the throttle and brake capabilities, you will just have to do some research but i can’t imagine there not be anything out there for ya so you can stay riding.

But the Army still let you fly? Is there any therapy you could take that might help? Sorry to hear about this.

But the Army still let you fly? Is there any therapy you could take that might help? Sorry to hear about this.

Shhhh...haven't really told the flight surgeon. Flying really doesn't bother me because there isn't any direct pressure on it and its not like we pull a ton of g's in rotary wing flying. Its always hurt but as of late its just bad quicker.

I've had heli-bars, they're good, but doubtful to fix your problem.
RoosterRider's suggested a throttle rocker, that would let you relax your hand while cruising and just apply pressure with your palm. A throttle lock may help too, or even cruise control.
I've had a back injury and been fighting with riding position ever since. After many seats, bar risers and heli-bars I finally switched to an LSL Spiegler top clamp and dirtbike style handlebars(different bends of bars are available).
There is much less pressure on my wrists and back from a more upright riding position.
If you like the busa it would be cheaper and easier than trading bikes, you can make dramatic changes in it's riding position. I'm still going to get a slightly taller set of handlebars too.

ProGrip 761 gel grips also helped my hands alot.
They aren't rock hard or squishy, but they are a larger diameter in the center and taper down to both ends.
I find that they fit my hands better.
Just an idea that you may want to consider, good luck with it.:beerchug:

Spiegler Performance Parts - Handlebar Conversion Kit

SDC10554.jpg

Some good ideas here...thanks fellas. I put the throttlemeister on along with some gel grips and it does help a ton. I also have a throttle rocker in the tank bag..might give that a try again. I like the dirt bike bar idea, I will check on that for sure. If I go with the 1.25 risers and the new bars I'm hoping that will be enough to take some of the pressure off.

You could also try the Tobin seat. It will sit you down in the bike and that will help a bunch. Where are you located? You could try my seat if you are close to me

Some good ideas here...thanks fellas. I put the throttlemeister on along with some gel grips and it does help a ton. I also have a throttle rocker in the tank bag..might give that a try again. I like the dirt bike bar idea, I will check on that for sure. If I go with the 1.25 risers and the new bars I'm hoping that will be enough to take some of the pressure off.

.75" risers are as tall as you can use combined with heli-bars.
Otherwise the clutch and brake master cylinders will hit the inside of the windsheild when you turn the bars.
Both will work with stock length brake and clutch lines too.

Back