Might get outta this whole crazy bike scene

Well ive had my new bike for a couple months (05), only put 430 miles on it, and the people i usulaly rode with either sold their bikes or i dont really hang with em that much anymore. Also i am not willing to pay what insurance companies want for full coverage (2-3000+) and im sick of wondering if this bike will up and vanish one day leaving me #### out of luck and almost 11 grand in the hole. On top of that i keep hearing stories about people in cars hitting bikers and #### and honestly i dont feel like getting ran the hell over by some broad on her cell phone not paying attention. I love riding and i absolutely love the bike, but im thinking its not the thing for me right now maybe? Anyone else ever start thinking crazy like this?

The bikes an 05 that hasnt even had its 500 mile service yet. 100% factory showroom stock virgin. Never even had to wash it yet, just sits on lockdown under a cover indoors. What would be a fair asking price if i do end up selling it? I figure if im gonna do it, do it now while its bike selling season.

Anyones thoughts and input would be really appreciated.

1. find new insurance...state farm covers the bike full coverage for me 300 a year 2. develop your skills and control your wrist and maintian vigillance and the cagers wont get ya 3. when rideing your best freind is the beast ya on lol

Sounds like you don't like riding. Decide that first.
+1

I'll trade ya some cherry-flavored pop rocks and 10 garbage pail kids cards w/ the bubble gum inside for your
Busa.
laugh.gif

Seriously though, your posts reads like your on the fence. It reads as if "the right price" was offered you'd sell. Best of luck to ya.

I understand how you feel. I feel the same way quite often. The reality of it is, I can't give it up. I bought a track bike with hopes of giving up street riding.... I have had the track bike going on a month now and still haven't been to the track. I was also going to sell my Busa which I bought in January, but we changed a few other things cause the wife wants me to keep it almost as much as I want too. I want something to ride when the urge hits me, but I always question how safe I am on the road nowadays. Especially with these new breed of riders and 600cc bikes that are faster than 1000cc bike from 10 years ago. In the past month, about 5 local riders have lost their lives. Some cages have been involved and some with other bikes. It is very dicouraging, but I still have managed to put over 700 miles on my Busa in less than 12 rides. Go figure
rock.gif

I ride 14,000 miles a year. I've been in 1 crash in 20+ years, I was riding alone and it was my fault. Take the MSF course. I try to take it about every 5 years as a refresher. The key is to make sure you are always aware of everything in your environment. This includes everything you can for as far as you can see in all directions and planning escape routes for everything you can imagine might happen. Riding properly and safely is more work than caging, but I find the extra work is worth the reward. The decision is up to you.

" but im thinking its not the thing for me right now maybe? Anyone else ever start thinking crazy like this?"

Never, but if I had I wouldn't be riding anymore.

I look at things like this...Life is too short! Why not try to enjoy the little time we have. If it's your time to go then it's your time. Nobody knows God's plan for us! I ride as much as I can. Sometimes I ride easy, sometimes I ride hard. I never really actually think about "what if..."

What if I am driving in my car and a truck runs into me? What if my co-worker goes crazy...? What if you drive for 30 years and never have an accident? What if!

its like this, with work a family and the other things life throws our way you need an outlet. for about a year i was without a bike. (built a house, and $$$ for family needs). it was a horrible year and my wife told me to find a bike because i was misserable. think hard before you give it up. my wife and i love the times we have riding together, without the kids a little taste of freedom (for a little while). ride smart, ride safe, use your head.
vader1.gif

Im sorry, but if anyone has a serious fear of riding - DO Not Ride! You will cripple yourself mentally if your always over worried about crashing. Have I crashed, yes, will I again - I hope not, but if I do, I do, and Hope I live to tell about it...if it is the big one, than it is---so be it, I go out doing what I loved.

Over worrying is completley different than being aware or cautious and safe.

I like to make this analogy: I carry my full cup of hot coffee down 13 stairs, on my worn out carpet and dont spill a drop. I get new carpeting, fill my coffee cup half full, be extra cautious not to spill a drop, but end up spilling the coffee all over the new carpeting....hmm, sometimes being too cautious makes you fug up worse.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145896732 -->

What if you find out this time next year that you have inoperable cancer? Everybody gotta die sometime, and one way or another, something is gonna get ya.
idea3.gif

To answer your question, yeah, I think we all wonder some days if it's worth the risk...most riders have lost friends on bikes, we all hear the stories and avoid tons of incidents while riding by just being aware of how little cagers see and pay attention to those of us on motorcycles...

In the end, you have to decide if you enjoy riding enough to continue...you can't ride in fear, but you surely can't ride thinking nothing will ever happen to you. I believe that's when you start making mistakes, not paying enough attention to what's around you while you ride. Only YOU can decide if riding is worth the time, money, and risk...every single rider questions the sport at some point, and you either opt to continue doing it or not...it's entirely up to you.
smile.gif

In the end, you have to decide if you enjoy riding enough to continue...you can't ride in fear, but you surely can't ride thinking nothing will ever happen to you.  I believe that's when you start making mistakes, not paying enough attention to what's around you while you ride.  Only YOU can decide if riding is worth the time, money, and risk...every single rider questions the sport at some point, and you either opt to continue doing it or not...it's entirely up to you.  
smile.gif
Va, you have a way with words...well worded, thanks for expressing yourself in a manner, in which I wish I could have.

Big Bad Blue Busa - you sound like me last year. For some reason, during the decision to either take the car or take the bike... I would psych myself out with the thought of all those motorcycle crash videos I would stay up at all hours of the night watching. After a while, I started debating with myself whether the insurance was worth it, whether the risk was worth it.... yada yada yada (Seinfeld Reference
biggrin.gif
)

The cure was to quit watching so many of those crash videos and to get out and ride more. I still watch the video's occasionally, keeps me vigilant.

Most of my riding buddies switched to the custom chopper scene as well, so I don't ride as much with other folks as I used too, but damn, I got a Busa so it don't bother me much.

crazy bike scene?? you LIFE scene bro-bad things happen everywhere all the time; all you can do is try your best to stay out of harm's way n enjoy yourself until something happens. Do what you love to do now-you might not be able to in a week/month/year/TOMORROW!!!! stop 2nd guessing-unless you really are petrified to ride...then, hang it up- no sense tryin to enjoy sumthing that scares the crap outa ya.

good luck and stay happy-the glass is half full, till its empty.:)

I ride 14,000 miles a year.  I've been in 1 crash in 20+ years, I was riding alone and it was my fault.   Take the MSF course.  I try to take it about every 5 years as a refresher.  The key is to make sure you are always aware of everything in your environment.  This includes everything you can for as far as you can see in all directions and planning escape routes for everything you can imagine might happen.  Riding properly and safely is more work than caging, but I find the extra work is worth the reward.  The decision is up to you.
+1 When I'am back State side I ride about 15,000 to 17,000 miles per year. That's riding both during the day and night. Awareness and safty is my first concern, but I don't let to overcome me. Yes, riding a bike is more risky than driving a car. But the real risk comes when YOU don't think your safe. If I felt that way, my bikes would be for sale immediately ! If you don't think your safe and spend time WHILE riding thinking about it, I would get out of riding for a while. You can always buy another bike, but you get DEAD only ONCE  
beerchug.gif

I can honestly say I've never entertained such thinking even after my insurance rates went thru the roof with the purchase of the busa, or after getting hit by a car on my TL1000!!!
smile.gif

I don't ride much myself, all my old buddies no longer ride. Just doesn't seem as fun as it once was. Me and wife went for ride this past Sunday, we rode about 100 miles and both couldn't wait to get back home. Heck I get about as much fun cleaning the bike as I do riding it. I think the age factor is kicking in with me, when its below 70f I don't ride, if its above 90 i don't ride and if its windy I don't ride. But soon as I would sell the Busa, wouldn't be 30 days and I be after another bike.

Back