Mid-Winter Grand Canyon Run (06FEB10)

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
Hey, ya'llz...

Jason (Big Guy) and I are going to ride to the Grand Canyon next Saturday (06FEB).

Anyone else want to go?

We'll have lunch at the Canyon, grab some pictures, and head back to Phoenix. It's just over 200 miles each way, so be prepared for some slab-time, as well.

I looked at weather.com, and the high is supposed to be 37F, but only partly cloudy. Sunday is supposed to bring snow showers.

We're meeting at 9a at Starbucks at I-17/Thomas and rolling out at 9:30.

Everyone is welcome; please dress accordingly.
Hope to see you there...

:beerchug:

Grrrrrr My powerplant just started a 6 week long 24/7 maintenance outage. I would join you if I was not working 76 hrs a week.

Have fun & be safe.

I'd love to go, but the logistics get in the way! Have fun and be careful out there.

megawatt, which plant are you at?

Grrrrrr My powerplant just started a 6 week long 24/7 maintenance outage. I would join you if I was not working 76 hrs a week.

Have fun & be safe.

Yeah...Grrrr...Sorry, Joe. It'd be cool to get some of the Vegas Hoons to meet up withus over there, eh?

Last edited:
Never thought much of the canyon, Just a big hole in ground.

Until I saw it.

:shocked:::11:shocked:::11:shocked:::11:shocked:

WoW

Never thought much of the canyon, Just a big hole in ground.

Until I saw it.

It's funny you should mention that... I had an idea about Niagara Falls...much like everyone else's, I suppose... When I got there, I thought...'this is it?'

Sure seems small...:rofl:

Last edited:
I'd love to go, but the logistics get in the way! Have fun and be careful out there.

megawatt, which plant are you at?

2x1 600MW natural gas fired Siemens 501FD turbines. Higgins powerplant it was named Bighorn last year before Nevada energy purchased it. Located on Nevada / California state line.

Scar I am ready to put in vacation for the next Stampede. Wonder if there will be any other turbos out this time?

2x1 600MW natural gas fired Siemens 501FD turbines. Higgins powerplant it was named Bighorn last year before Nevada energy purchased it. Located on Nevada / California state line.

Scar I am ready to put in vacation for the next Stampede. Wonder if there will be any other turbos out this time?

Not sure, Joe...if I hear of any, I'll point 'em at you.

My best to Dee. :beerchug:

You all are going to freeze things that shouldn't be froze.. :rofl:

Be safe.. I'll be standing by for the pic's.. :thumbsup:

You all are going to freeze things that shouldn't be froze.. :rofl:

Be safe.. I'll be standing by for the pic's.. :thumbsup:

Well, I don't know how anyone else is getting there, but I'll be on my snowmobile. :laugh:

:rofl:

I hear ya, Doyle.

Suggested routes
I-40 W
2,357 mi 1 day 14 hours

I-75 N and I-40 W
2,400 mi 1 day 14 hours

5200 Lake Worth RdGreenacres, FL 33463
Leave Braman Honda

1. Head east on Lake Worth Rd toward Southview Ave 256 ft
2. Make a U-turn at Southview Ave 2.9 mi
3. Slight right (signs for Miami/Orivalle)
Toll road 0.2 mi
4. Take the Florida's Turnpike N ramp to Orlando
Toll road 0.3 mi
5. Merge onto FL-91 N/Florida's Turnpike
Partial toll road 215 mi
6. Merge onto I-75 N 107 mi
7. Take exit 435 to merge onto I-10 W toward Tallahassee
Passing through Alabama, Mississippi
Entering Louisiana 445 mi
8. Slight right at I-12 W (signs for I-59 N/I-12 W/Hattiesburg/Hammond/Baton Rouge) 86.1 mi
9. Merge onto I-10 W 55.9 mi
10. Take exit 103B to merge onto I-49 N/US-167 N toward Opelousas
Continue to follow I-49 N 201 mi
11. Take exit 201 to merge onto LA-3132 W toward Dallas/Texarkana 7.9 mi
12. Take exit 1B to merge onto I-20 W toward Dallas
Entering Texas 149 mi
13. Slight right at TX-557 Spur W (signs for US-80 W/Dallas) 4.3 mi
14. Continue onto US-80 W 19.0 mi
15. Merge onto I-30 W 8.1 mi
16. Take exit 44A to merge onto I-35E N toward Denton 5.2 mi
17. Slight left at TX-183 W 20.0 mi
18. Take the exit onto I-820 W 6.3 mi
19. Take exit 16A to merge onto I-35W N/US-287 N toward Denton 3.0 mi
20. Slight right at US-287 N/US-81 N (signs for US-81 N/US-287 N/Decatur)
Continue to follow US-287 N 105 mi
21. Continue onto I-44 E 2.5 mi
22. Take exit 3A on the left toward US-287 N/Vernon/Amarillo 0.6 mi
23. Merge onto US-287 N 211 mi
24. Slight left toward I-40 W (signs for US-287) 0.4 mi
25. Continue straight onto I-40 W
Passing through New Mexico
Entering Arizona 644 mi
26. Take exit 165 for AZ-64/I-40 toward Williams/Grand Canyon 0.4 mi
27. Turn right at AZ-64 E 54.7 mi
28. Turn left at Center Rd 1.6 mi
29. Turn left at Village Loop Dr 33 ft
30. Turn right to stay on Village Loop Dr
Destination will be on the left 348 ft

Lookout Studio
On Canyon rimNear Hopi House, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ 86023

Ok I'll be there but I may have to stop once or twice to pee along the way. Google did not give me an option for 'by Busa' so I fugure I can make it in half of the time...:rofl:

is the park even open now?

and your nutz :laugh:

and you still dont return calls :poke: ???

is the park even open now?

and your nutz :laugh:

and you still dont return calls :poke: ???

Well, there are plenty of places to access views of the canyon as I recall (having only been there once before)...

...and you're right...I'm still not returning calls! :rofl:

If you're available tonight, we can catch up some...:whistle: Plenty of good business happening here, yo. (Not to thread-jack or anything...:laugh:)

i'm so jealous!! hope to swing by there next year as i've never seen it in person and have heard it is amazing :beerchug:

i'm so jealous!! hope to swing by there next year as i've never seen it in person and have heard it is amazing :beerchug:

its a reallly realllllly reallllllllllllly big hole in the ground... nothing to see there, move along :laugh:

its pretty impressive actually, though if you were to go and say, have someone with crutches, you can get handicap parking and special access to the loop around the canyon in your own car, instead of taking the tour bus. Just sayin... works nicely :whistle:

*when we went Alison twisted her knee so was legitimately injured but I think we'll pack the crutches from now on :laugh:

its a reallly realllllly reallllllllllllly big hole in the ground... nothing to see there, move along :laugh:

its pretty impressive actually, though if you were to go and say, have someone with crutches, you can get handicap parking and special access to the loop around the canyon in your own car, instead of taking the tour bus. Just sayin... works nicely :whistle:

*when we went Alison twisted her knee so was legitimately injured but I think we'll pack the crutches from now on :laugh:

good idea but i don't think they would buy it if twotonevert and i pulled collapsible crutches from the back of the Busa's and started hobbling around :lol:

good idea but i don't think they would buy it if twotonevert and i pulled collapsible crutches from the back of the Busa's and started hobbling around :lol:

Now THAT would be funny...:rofl:

Back