Mid-life Crisis

roaddust

Registered
Hi gang :
This is my first post . So I guess I'm considered a newbie on this forum.

The Situation.
A strange thing happened recently....which I can't fully explain ??
After riding motorcycles for the last 35 years (over 500,000 miles ) I recently got the urge to ride a fast , (make that a VERY FAST) sportbike ! Enter the Hayabusa.

The background information.
I'm a middle aged rider.
I currently own and ride touring bikes,  '03Honda Goldwing and '02 BMW K12LTC.
Over the last five years I have also owned a '97 Honda Valkyrie, '01 Suzuki Bandit,and most recently a '02 Honda 1800VTX Retro.

The Questions .
Does anybody on this forum own and ride a touring bike and own a Hayabusa. ?
If so , what was your reason(s) for buying one ?
Did it meet you expectations ?
And finally ...Is this bike suitable for a 50 + rider?

Any other comments or observations on this topic will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance .
Roaddust

what do you think it was made for?
kickass.gif

Hi Roaddust. I will assume touring bikes, for the purpose of your question, includes cruisers, since you've owned a few. I had the urge for speed, and handling, too. I've owned a Triumph (500 CCs) and a Harley (1100 CCs). Currently own a V Star 650 Classic, and three weeks ago, added a 03 Busa. After buying and riding the Busa for a few hundred miles, I decided that the joys of sport-bike riding was the single best kept secret from cruiser riders. What a blast. More than met my expectations. Does everything better than any cruiser I've owned, but I'm still going to keep the V Star 650 until I trade it on a Goldwing next year. Might even add a dirt bike.

Age? I'm 66. Do what you can, and want, to do! No limits (except financial)! Buy your Busa. You'll love it.

Hi gang :
This is my first post . So I guess I'm considered a newbie on this forum.

The Situation.
A strange thing happened recently....which I can't fully explain ??
After riding motorcycles for the last 35 years (over 500,000 miles ) I recently got the urge to ride a fast , (make that a VERY FAST) sportbike ! Enter the Hayabusa.

The background information.
I'm a middle aged rider.
I currently own and ride touring bikes,  '03Honda Goldwing and '02 BMW K12LTC.
Over the last five years I have also owned a '97 Honda Valkyrie, '01 Suzuki Bandit,and most recently a '02 Honda 1800VTX Retro.

The Questions .
Does anybody on this forum own and ride a touring bike and own a Hayabusa. ?
If so , what was your reason(s) for buying one ?
Did it meet you expectations ?
And finally ...Is this bike suitable for a 50 + rider?

Any other comments or observations on this topic will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance .
Roaddust
You will love it. It just happens sometimes, you are done with Harleys and Goldwings and such. Take it from a very fast 50 year old

Welcome Roaddust. I have an 03 Busa and a 97 Harley Ultra. I ride them both but smile more on the Busa. I started on sportbikes with a 600 Ninja to commute to work. Lane splitting was so much easier than with the Harley. Once I found the sportbike bug, I progressed to the Busa. Love riding it. I'm retired and 59 now so can ride every day. I will say also that the people you meet on sportbikes are completely different than Harley people. I have yet to encounter an attitude among the sportbike group. Read the posts here on the forum. You will see what I mean. You will not be dissapointed if a Busa is in your future.........Bob

One thing that will change is that you may start to ride with other sport bikers and you (for good or bad) will feel pressured to ride faster than you may be used to.

At 38 years old, I don't care if the other guys try to get my goat, but you have to deal with the fact that a lot of fellow sportbikers expect you to do something outrageous with this thing. You get out with a group of lesser sportbikes and you are in someways expected to be the fastest. My 2 cents. Be careful.

Busa's a blast. I'm 38 and got one about a month ago. I've got 2 Harley's (Heritage and electraglide) which I also ride equally and thoroughly enjoy. Best of both worlds. Hell, I like all bikes!

The Busa isn't too much bike if the rider has control. Your the only one who determines how much throttle you roll-on, the bike only does what you tell it. For the question,"is the busa right for me?". You have to look at yourself, the rider, not at the bike. You could put around at 10mph all day long if you wanted to. Not me though
kickass.gif

Welcome to the board!!

I used to own a Kawa Concours and changed up for the twisties and awesome power. Everyday I am thankful that I did. This bike rocks! I am 36.

Remember that the throttle works BOTH ways... You will do fine and love it.

BTW - If you are wondering about comfort... I think it is super comfy.

I came from 2 Road King Classics . There is nothing even close to what the Busa technology offers and you wont look back. Good Luck and ride safe !

Welcome to the board!!

I used to own a Kawa Concours and changed up for the twisties and awesome power.  Everyday I am thankful that I did.  This bike rocks!  I am 36.

Remember that the throttle works BOTH ways...  You will do fine and love it.

BTW - If you are wondering about comfort...  I think it is super comfy.
How does yours work both ways??? mine only twists one way I WANT A REFUND!!!

Anyway...

There are 3 types of people: Those who think its not fast enough, those who think it is fast enough, and those who think its too fast.

There was a used hayabusa at my local dealer with 300 or 400 miles on the clock because the guy thought it was too fast, and he bought a valkyrie.

Im 20 so i cant really help with the mid-life stuff, but according to Ninja Eaters math and physics, you will be younger every year. Im sure if you hunger for speed, you will get your fill
smile.gif
I know i have.....

Yes, Welcome Mr. Dust!

Like you, I am a senior rider (32 years or so). I've been on everything from a minibike to cruisers to the Busa. Cruisers are sometimes more comfortable and feel powerful, but they are not that fast. The throttle works on them but the brakes and suspension don't. The handling is poor. The crappy handling makes them feel fast (as in out of control). That is where the Busa shines. It really is fast if you want it to be, comfortable and it handles like a race bike. It is stable as a rock past 160 mph. You can push yourself to a new level of ability no matter what experience you already have. That is what brings on the grins while riding it. I stopped riding my Ducati entirely after the Busa came along. It is that much better.

You are probably bored with the whole cruiser thing and are looking for a challenge. Thank God you are, otherwise I would suggest you buy a Buick. Don't worry about the "Mid-Life" BS. I have been having Crisises for most of my life. Just have fun and never look back. You won't regret it.

Currently own a V Star 650 Classic, and three weeks ago, added a 03 Busa. After buying and riding the Busa for a few hundred miles, I decided that the joys of sport-bike riding was the single best kept secret from cruiser riders. What a blast. More than met my expectations. Does everything better than any cruiser I've owned, but I'm still going to keep the V Star 650 until I trade it on a Goldwing next year. Might even add a dirt bike.

Age? I'm 66. Do what you can, and want, to do! No limits (except financial)! Buy your Busa. You'll love it.
Stockerjo,

I just bought my 2003 Busa, and I also own a 650 VStar Classic. Great bike, wouldn't ever trade it.

Hi Gang:
Thanks for all the encouragement !

Update:
Yesterday I went "window shopping"........
I stopped by two local dealers and started investigating prices on an 'o3 40th anniverary edition .
The good news.....
I probably can get one for about $10,300 OTD
The bad news.......
Also talked with my insurance agent.......ouch !
Best to pay cash and just carry liability .
Thanks again for the input....
I'll update soon.
Roaddust

Hi Gang:
Thanks for all the encouragement !

Update:
Yesterday I went "window shopping"........
I stopped by two local dealers and started investigating prices on an 'o3 40th anniverary edition .
The good news.....
I probably can get one for about $10,300 OTD
The bad news.......
Also talked with my insurance agent.......ouch !
Best to pay cash and just carry liability .
Thanks again for the input....
I'll update soon.
Roaddust
learned long ago don't finance motorcycles Pay cash.
Can't afford cash?

Save what insurance would cost for 2 years and you have cash
cool.gif

roaddust,

Don't know who you tried for insurance but I kinda hit the same wall. Almost backed out of getting a busa until I was advised by people of this forum to check State Farm. The cheapest quote I had before calling State Farm was $1800+ a year. State Farm was $392 a year for their full bike coverage package. That's less than I paid for ins on my '95 Mustang Cobra and '98 Trans Am!

You do have to switch an automobile over to State Farm to insure your bike though. They won't write just a bike. Funny thing is that they also undercut my previous insurer by $60 a year on my Maxima. So, I'm getting the busa insured for less than $400 a year and saving $60 a year on my Maxima. That's extra schweeeeeet!
biggrin.gif

FWIW, I have no citations and no faultable accidents on my MVR. Your mileage may vary... I'd still get a quote from State Farm before buying ins elsewhere. Just a suggestion.

Currently own a V Star 650 Classic, and three weeks ago, added a 03 Busa.  After buying and riding the Busa for a few hundred miles, I decided that the joys of sport-bike riding was the single best kept secret from cruiser riders.  What a blast.  More than met my expectations.  Does everything better than any cruiser I've owned, but I'm still going to keep the V Star 650 until I trade it on a Goldwing next year.  Might even add a dirt bike.

Age?  I'm 66.  Do what you can, and want, to do!  No limits (except financial)!  Buy your Busa.  You'll love it.
Stockerjo,

I just bought my 2003 Busa, and I also own a 650 VStar Classic.  Great bike, wouldn't ever trade it.
Yea, I hear you, Sane_man.  The V Star 650 Classic has it all for a cruiser.  Beauty, fit and finish, reliability, and all for a modest price.  I added saddlebags and a windshield to make it more of a touring bike.  It will cruise at 70 all day with no problem.  But after riding the Busa for a few weeks, I find myself trying to squeeze performance out of the V Star that it is just not capable of.  You'll see.  I might find myself in a dangerous situation because of it.  Am I rationalizing?  Maybe.  I've always wanted a Goldwing.  I don't have room in the garage for another "big" bike.

Back