Mid life crisis?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Ever got to the point where you just look at your life and wonder if you have wasted your time on this earth. I got to thinking today of time that I have wasted. I have an incredible wife and 2 completely awesome kids but I started thinking that when I was younger I had so much to offer and I have wasted a lot of time and energy on things that just don't matter. I don't have a desire to run out and buy a vette or anything, no affair in my future but I just wonder if there is more for me to offer or did I miss the boat...

Any of you guys ever feel like that?

cap

try feelin that way when your 27.... :banghead:

Is say your time was used pretty well, if ya dont waste some, you miss everything

Sometimes i fell like that, I got couple of things i want to do, hopefully i do it, otherwise i already know that i be looking back and asking myself why i didnt go through

Sometimes.
I'll be 45 this spring. What I think about once in a while is a different career path that I might have chosen. I love my job, in the beer industry, but think that I might have done something that would have been more benificial to the population. Either something in law enforcement or the medical field maybe. I remember my dad telling me he picked his career to help people.

:poke: Cheer up Cap. its almost Christmas.:rudolph:
maybe santa will bring ya some warm weather and you can go for a nice ride.

Last edited:
Yep I think we all have said, "If I only knew then, what I know now."

Think of it this way.

All my collegiate background was to become a doctor. I'd always wanted to be a Chiropractor so spent years in college getting all the pre-req's out the way. Studied non-stop 7 days a week, worked nights four years straight. Got accepted into two different Chiro schools and was ready to go.

Got married and 3 mo later, my wife was pregnant. Nix on the doctor thing, time to get a real job.

Same time, started working on the pashnit site due to massive hole left from not being obsessed with school & studying organic chemistry all the time.

Ten years later here we are. Point being Doug whatever curves and regrets we may have, still led you down a path to where you are now for a reason. If I would have become a doctor, the pashnit site would not exist. If you would have taken path b, Hayabusa.org would not exist.

And I'm approaching 40. Feel like I'm half done.

It just gets very frustrating..... No job, Christmas is just a reminder of what I used to have... Not a pity party by any means, there are a lot of folks out there worse off than I. If I hear one more time from a business that I have done consulting with or an individual that tells me I am so good with technology I will scream... At this point I seem to be the smartest unemployed person around... I interviewed with Dell a few weeks ago, they told me that I was so over qualified for the position the interview was a waste of all our time. It seems that I am too educated for an entry level position but I can't seem to land any other jobs out there... I interviewed for a pretty good position recently and the committee I interviewed with told me up front I was too good to be true and that I would not stay at the position. I am in a weird point in my life... I can't get an entry level job because I am too qualified and can't get a solid management position because they just arent out there right now... Very very frustrating...... In the mean time I worry every day about keeping this place running... Crazy isn't it....

cap

Last edited:
The last mid-life crisis I had, I bought a 2006 Hayabusa outright. One of the best decisions I have ever made. Took me a couple years to learn to ride it (not like any other bike I have owned/ridden), led me to become an Officer of a local Motorcycle Club, made some lifelong friends along the way. One book that helped me understand a better perspective was Purpose Driven Life. I recommend that book for you Cap...while you have the time!
Truth is life is passing by pretty quick.
Posted via Mobile Device

nope, i am right where i am supposed to be doing what i am supposed to be doing...i am surrounded by great friends and even when unexpected things happen, they always work out the way they were meant to...the only time i have found myself in turmoil is when i tried to force life to take the road I wanted...as long as i accept that my Creator has a master plan for my life and relinquish control to Him, i am going to be fine no matter what comes my way!

I hear ya cap. What the heck does "YOUR OVER QUALIFIED" mean anyways? To me if your over qualified, your the person I want. Its not my fault im over qualified, just hire me and see what i can do for your company. Keep your head up cap, there is only one place to go, and thats up.

It just gets very frustrating..... No job, Christmas is just a reminder of what I used to have... Not a pity party by any means, there are a lot of folks out there worse off than I. If I hear one more time from a business that I have done consulting with or an individual that tells me I am so good with technology I will scream... At this point I seem to be the smartest unemployed person around... I interviewed with Dell a few weeks ago, they told me that I was so over qualified for the position the interview was a waste of all our time. It seems that I am too educated for an entry level position but I can't seem to land any other jobs out there... I interviewed for a pretty good position recently and the committee I interviewed with told me up front I was too good to be true and that I would not stay at the position. I am in a weird point in my life... I can't get an entry level job because I am too qualified and can't get a solid management position because they just arent out there right now... Very very frustrating...... In the mean time I worry every day about keeping this place running... Crazy isn't it....

cap

Just keep trying, something will come up. I moved from a very big job, with even bigger in the past, back into Engineering with a very big company. Small job, pay is good although about 1/3 of what I use to make, benefits are excellent and there is NO STRESS, compared to the responsibility I use to have.

Same thing, they told me I am way over qualified, I said that is OK, I had my big jobs, would enjoy to downsize, add value and will stay with the company. After a year, looks like first promotion is on its way and I enjoy what I am doing.

Just keep on trying, it will work out in the end. They say for every $10,000 per year pay, it takes about one month to get the job. So if you are looking for $100,000 it will take around 10 months before you are back in the saddle.

Doug, I'm in the same boat. 25 years of chasing money and materialism. Money doesn't buy happiness. The toys are fun, but they don't really amount to anything, Trying to change directions with my life, but its a slow process when you are trapped up in the corporate machine. They didn't even have the decency to RIF me when my job was eliminated. Now I get to sit is a cube moving papers from the right of the desk to the left and then back again. There are times I envy the freedom you have to pursue your businesses.

Cap, you need some perspective. Sometimes if you can get a chance to go out and see nature, you can really see how insignificant you are on this planet. And while that sounds counter-intuitive, it actually gives me peace to know that my problems don't amount to a hill of beans. Last time I had persepctive was when I took a day to climb to the peak of a TN foothill. It was something that literally took my breath away.....then I stopped to catch my breath and saw nature and felt about 1 inch tall. :beerchug: It's quite humbling.

Doug I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful time together through the holidays~!!~ :please:

Last edited:
Cap, you need some perspective. Sometimes if you can get a chance to go out and see nature, you can really see how insignificant you are on this planet. And while that sounds counter-intuitive, it actually gives me peace to know that my problems don't amount to a hill of beans. Last time I had persepctive was when I took a day to climb to the peak of a TN foothill. It was something that literally took my breath away.....then I stopped to catch my breath and saw nature and felt about 1 inch tall. :beerchug: It's quite humbling.

I think he's right cap. Here's a video that's already been posted in the video section. I couldn't find the OP to link to it but here's the video.

I coulda been a contenda :banghead:

Cap I feel the same sometimes but I believe the below post by Semi is very well said and reps how I get thru it .

nope, i am right where i am supposed to be doing what i am supposed to be doing...i am surrounded by great friends and even when unexpected things happen, they always work out the way they were meant to...the only time i have found myself in turmoil is when i tried to force life to take the road I wanted...as long as i accept that my Creator has a master plan for my life and relinquish control to Him, i am going to be fine no matter what comes my way!

Yes. All the things left undone. The path not followed.

Yet, you can't undo what's already been done and there are too many things that need doing right now. All you can change is today and tomorrow not yesterday.

You have skills and talent. Just keep looking and trying the job will come. I wish you and your family a great Christmas.

Hey Doug, I think today is one of the very best days I have had in a long time. my son finished his last final exam and is graduating from UNCW saturday. I have two licensed professions and work as many hours as I can. As I posted on the other thread, I work way more hours, for far less money than previous years. We have to hold our lawmakers accountable for getting our jobs back. That should be our only proirity.

Just keep praying and think about all he has gotten you through in the past and something will come around.

Back