Michelin Pilot Road2 // 7,500 miles.

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
So, day before yesterday, I had my most recent set of Road2's replaced.

At that replacement mileage, I calculated how long they lasted.

Many of you know how I ride, and most of you know how much I ride... That said, ending with a very nice (still rather round profile), I logged 7,468 miles on those puppies (since December 9th, '08, btw).

Personally, I find this incredible; it's the 2nd time I've gotten near that number of miles out of a set of tires (also the Road2)... One of the other sets I got only 6,700 miles, which is still extremely respectable. This is the 9th set of tires on my Gen2.

So, anyone who is looking for a great all 'round tire which can be used for the mountains/canyons and for commuting, I can heartily recommend the Road2. With the cost of tires being what they are, and if you go through them like I do, well you are always looking for the best value for your money. This is one.

As mentioned in a previous thread, Wasabi's currently sporting the Bridgestone BT-016's a three-compound technology tire which is supposed to rival the Road2 (I'm hoping).

I'll let you know how it all turns out...:laugh:

:beerchug:

What were the ambient temps during those months. You ride aggressive and if the roads were cool you would have probably been wearing the tire out a little slip at the time.

Looking forward to the 16 comments. Hurry up, I'll need a tyre by the end of April :whistle:

Well, it's been a strange winter. We've ridden in the snow. We've ridden in the 90-degree desert...so I'd say a lot lower temps...generally.

One thing I failed to mention was that the 016's were SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than the Michelin's. Substantially less.

Worth a look, yo.

I don't think I'd put much faith into getting 7,500 miles on your 16's? Will be interesting to see just how many miles you can milk from those puppies?

Just thinking out loud, I wonder how the BT021 stacks up mileage wise to the PR2?

cheers
ken

I don't think I'd put much faith into getting 7,500 miles on your 16's? Will be interesting to see just how many miles you can milk from those puppies?

I got 3200 out of my Bto16s so i am going either the Avon storms or Pilot road 2

Battalax have always been the best tyre ever for me grip wise, but for mileage they are S**te.

As is customary, I'll be sure to make that information public. Sharing my experiences (good and bad) is the best way I have to contribute to the 'family.'

I don't know how you all do it.:bowdown:
I have a Power front and a PR2 rear, the sides or the Power are to the wear bars on the left side and almost on the right. The PR2 rear is cupped so bad on the soft compound part of the sides you can see the scallops from several feet away. The middles of both are probably good for another 1000 miles, which will put the pair at total toast in 4000 miles.

Has anyone tried the dunlop roadsmart tires? I watched a video on the Roadsmarts and it was impressive. Had excessive grip in the wet. I think they are designed to be competitive with the Pilot Road 2's. The Roadsmart has dual compound in the rear but I'm not sure about the front? If anyone has tried these tires from dunlop, post up and give us your thoughts?

Has anyone tried the dunlop roadsmart tires? I watched a video on the Roadsmarts and it was impressive. Had excessive grip in the wet. I think they are designed to be competitive with the Pilot Road 2's. The Roadsmart has dual compound in the rear but I'm not sure about the front? If anyone has tried these tires from dunlop, post up and give us your thoughts?

I'd be interested to read that, as well...always lookin' for good info from credible sources. :beerchug:

So, day before yesterday, I had my most recent set of Road2's replaced.

At that replacement mileage, I calculated how long they lasted.

Many of you know how I ride, and most of you know how much I ride... That said, ending with a very nice (still rather round profile), I logged 7,468 miles on those puppies (since December 9th, '08, btw).

Personally, I find this incredible; it's the 2nd time I've gotten near that number of miles out of a set of tires (also the Road2)... One of the other sets I got only 6,700 miles, which is still extremely respectable. This is the 9th set of tires on my Gen2.

So, anyone who is looking for a great all 'round tire which can be used for the mountains/canyons and for commuting, I can heartily recommend the Road2. With the cost of tires being what they are, and if you go through them like I do, well you are always looking for the best value for your money. This is one.

As mentioned in a previous thread, Wasabi's currently sporting the Bridgestone BT-016's a three-compound technology tire which is supposed to rival the Road2 (I'm hoping).

I'll let you know how it all turns out...:laugh:

SCAR, 9 sets on your Gen II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:That shows your commitment to your bike if nothing else does.:thumbsup: Man, I knew you logged serious miles but 9 sets already is deserving of an honorable mention or maybe even a place in the Guinness book:bowdown:? You are the MAN!:cheerleader::cheerleader:

And, I am so glad that is the tire I just put on my bird.

Down here we wear out the middle and the sides still look good. I'm gonna need a rear pretty soon but ya'll have me very confused. Now Dang it, Tell Me what tire to buy. I had convinced myself to buy avon storms but yeah, Ya'll keep comin up with all these other brands. Scar, What is the best tire for straight up ridin and minimal twisties? Pleeease.

Down here we wear out the middle and the sides still look good. I'm gonna need a rear pretty soon but ya'll have me very confused. Now Dang it, Tell Me what tire to buy. I had convinced myself to buy avon storms but yeah, Ya'll keep comin up with all these other brands. Scar, What is the best tire for straight up ridin and minimal twisties? Pleeease.

OK, brother...here's my best advice.

My cohort, Warchild, is a staff member for the Iron Butt Association. He and I have run neck-and-neck with mileage on our Gen2's through the end of last year (because he lives in the snow-belt)...with him on super-long-distance runs, and me on the mondo twisties. Our vastly different riding styles dictate different tires, and so I offer here:

He runs Avon Storms.​

Very simply, my recommendation is, if you ride as you described, to purchase the Avon Storms. Caveat? Sure. I have never owned them, myself, however, the source of the advice is thoroughly trusted.

SCAR, 9 sets on your Gen II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:That shows your commitment to your bike if nothing else does.:thumbsup: Man, I knew you logged serious miles but 9 sets already is deserving of an honorable mention or maybe even a place in the Guinness book:bowdown:? You are the MAN!:cheerleader::cheerleader:

And, I am so glad that is the tire I just put on my bird.

Well congrats to you on a very excellent choice! :beerchug:

:thumbsup: can wait to see how the BT-016 works also.

Back