Michelin Pilot 2ct's-Anyone running yet?

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
I'm looking for my next set of tires about springtime, and my third rear is on with my first front so it's time for a set. Love my Qualifiers, and the consensus seems to be Pilot Powers and Quali's are a coin toss decision as far as performance. So, now I'm leaning towards the 2ct dual compound Pilots as far as latest & greatest for cornering prowess with decent (3000 ish) longevity.
Also I was looking at the 50 series 2ct side-by-side with a 55 series at the dealer today. Is it an illusion, or does the 55 have a sharper profile, and actually put down a larger contact patch when leaned over? The 50 looks like a part circle, but the 55 looks like an arch shape. Any empirical versus apocryphal evidence to support the contact patch theory?
rock.gif

From their website for those unacquainted:

* Dual-compound MotoGP racing technology for the road
* 51.2º lean angle in the dry and 43º in the wet: a new benchmark for a hypersport tire**
* The responsive handling of a race tire
* Progressive feel and feedback at full lean

Still not convinced that Pilot Power is for you? Well, now there’s a dual-compound version, a direct descendant of our MotoGP technology. With a softer rubber mix on the shoulders, the new Pilot Power 2CT will satisfy even the most demanding sport riders. Want to carve corners at extreme lean angles? Do you feel like you’ve found the limit with your current tires? Does your new literbike have more power than your tires can use? If so, then it’s time to switch to the new Pilot Power 2CT.
*22% on the rear tire.
**Source: Michelin Research and Development Center

Here is a link to the Power Race tire choices- pretty serious. Guess pretty much OWNING MotoGP tire choice gives them a good test bed for trickle-down technology.

P_Pilot_power_avar.jpg

my friend running a 1k (gsxr) is running them. They looked to handle in the canyons to me
beerchug.gif

Also have a friend with GXXR 1000 running them. He was running the Pilot Powers and he says the dual compound is even better. He is a very good and aggressive rider.

had them on order til they told me they wouldn't be released for a month later

so I went w/ Diablos
beerchug.gif

will try them next tho

Well I'm a betting man of sorts, and since the Pilot Powers debut, they haven't let anyone down with their claims...so I think the same would hold true with the new CT's.

I loved the standard powers!

Can't afford the Pilot Power 2cts yet, but I'm definately a 55 profile guy.  The 55 profile does have a larger contact patch when leaned over.  Its also taller, which raises the rear and improves turn in.  And its shape also makes it "feel" lighter because the tire is rounder rather than flatter in the center.

Currently I'm running the 190/55 conti sport attacks.

(Charlesbusa @ Nov. 28 2006,21:18) I loved the standard powers!

Can't afford the Pilot Power 2cts yet, but I'm definately a 55 profile guy. The 55 profile does have a larger contact patch when leaned over. Its also taller, which raises the rear and improves turn in. And its shape also makes it "feel" lighter because the tire is rounder rather than flatter in the center.

So do you run the 55 in back only, or back and front?

(Shibumi @ Nov. 28 2006,20:54)
(Charlesbusa @ Nov. 28 2006,21:18) I loved the standard powers!

Can't afford the Pilot Power 2cts yet, but I'm definately a 55 profile guy.  The 55 profile does have a larger contact patch when leaned over.  Its also taller, which raises the rear and improves turn in.  And its shape also makes it "feel" lighter because the tire is rounder rather than flatter in the center.

So do you run the 55 in back only, or back and front?
I run a 120/70 in the front. Which is a 70 profile. Which is the stock size.

Stock for the rear is a 190/50. I run a 190/55.

If you are now running Dunlop Qualifiers, I'm not sure why you would want to step down to a michelin?

Actually, michelins make me as nervous as a whore in church. I've seen way to many wadded up bikes on michelins.

The one thing I have learned about michelins, if you are going to ride them hard and on the edge, you best be smooth or they will put your arse in the weeds.

Most guys that buy PP's don't ride them hard enough to make a difference so anything that's round without lumps will work just fine. Most street riders never get their tires on the bitter edge anyway. But I have seen tons of crashed bikes on PP's at track days. Seems half the bikes crashed are on PP's. PP's seem to stick well but when they let go, it's without warning, games over! The Qualifiers will give you plenty of warning before they give up. I like that! And, the Qualifiers will take more punishment before they get so hot they become greasy.

Qualifiers are the nearest thing to race tires I have found, without question. I believe they will inspire confidence in anyone who has not tried them.

Before you decide to flame me for being critical of michelin's, this is simply my opinion based on my experience with tires.

Pilot Powers have been the only tires that I have ran since my bike was new. It now has almost 12K on it. I run the twisties every chance that i get. The only time i have felt uneasy was in the Texas hill country and I just wore the sides off of the front tire. I have the new PP 2cst on order in the 55 profile. It will be in this weekend and if the weather does not get bad here i will have some feed back on them.
beerchug.gif

(Tufbusa @ Nov. 28 2006,23:31) If you are now running Dunlop Qualifiers, I'm not sure why you would want to step down to a michelin?

Actually, michelins make me as nervous as a whore in church. I've seen way to many wadded up bikes on michelins.

The one thing I have learned about michelins, if you are going to ride them hard and on the edge, you best be smooth or they will put your arse in the weeds.

Most guys that buy PP's don't ride them hard enough to make a difference so anything that's round without lumps will work just fine. Most street riders never get their tires on the bitter edge anyway. But I have seen tons of crashed bikes on PP's at track days. Seems half the bikes crashed are on PP's. PP's seem to stick well but when they let go, it's without warning, games over! The Qualifiers will give you plenty of warning before they give up. I like that! And, the Qualifiers will take more punishment before they get so hot they become greasy.

Qualifiers are the nearest thing to race tires I have found, without question. I believe they will inspire confidence in anyone who has not tried them.

Before you decide to flame me for being critical of michelin's, this is simply my opinion based on my experience with tires.
Your comment was historical based on your experience, but does that history include this new tire ?

(Ronnies busa @ Nov. 29 2006,06:01) Pilot Powers have been the only tires that I have ran since my bike was new. It now has almost 12K on it. I run the twisties every chance that i get. The only time i have felt uneasy was in the Texas hill country and I just wore the sides off of the front tire. I have the new PP 2cst on order in the 55 profile. It will be in this weekend and if the weather does not get bad here i will have some feed back on them.
beerchug.gif
cool.gif

has consumer reports or similar group performed a comparison test on bike tires ?

WHAT DO THEY RETAIL FOR ? $

(Tufbusa @ Nov. 28 2006,23:31) If you are now running Dunlop Qualifiers, I'm not sure why you would want to step down to a michelin?

Most guys that buy PP's don't ride them hard enough to make a difference so anything that's round without lumps will work just fine. Most street riders never get their tires on the bitter edge anyway. But I have seen tons of crashed bikes on PP's at track days. Seems half the bikes crashed are on PP's. PP's seem to stick well but when they let go, it's without warning, games over! The Qualifiers will give you plenty of warning before they give up. I like that!  And, the Qualifiers will take more punishment before they get so hot they become greasy.

I have been running Q's for about 15,000 miles now and I do like them, but everyone has their own personal favorite tire. You need to match the tires you run to your riding style. What might be right for some might be wrong for others.

My son runs the Q's on his 06 GSXR 1000 and they are only lasting about 2500-3000 miles at the best. It depends on how mush rideing we do in the twisties. I am getting about the same mileage out of my PP's I dont know how everyone is getting that kind of mileage out of there tires.

(Ronnies busa @ Nov. 29 2006,06:59) My son runs the Q's on his 06 GSXR 1000 and they are only lasting about 2500-3000 miles at the best. It depends on how mush rideing we do in the twisties. I am getting about the same mileage out of my PP's I dont know how everyone is getting that kind of mileage out of there tires.
Im with you RB, it dosent relly matter what I run I only get about 3000 to 3500 out of my rears. CB on the other hand can get 8,000 out of the same tire and he rides more agressivly then I do.

(Gunnybusa @ Nov. 29 2006,07:03)
(Ronnies busa @ Nov. 29 2006,06:59) My son runs the Q's on his 06 GSXR 1000 and they are only lasting about 2500-3000 miles at the best. It depends on how mush rideing we do in the twisties. I am getting about the same mileage out of my PP's I dont know how everyone is getting that kind of mileage out of there tires.
Im with you RB, it dosent relly matter what I run I only get about 3000 to 3500 out of my rears. CB on the other hand can get 8,000 out of the same tire and he rides more agressivly then I do.
laugh.gif

I only got 7162 miles out of one set, but I took the rear down to where you could just start seeing the cord.  It was down to the wear bars by 6,000 miles. The majority of my ride is commuting to work 5 days a week 62 miles a day.  Just putting back and forth to work doesn't wear them down much. While I am aggressive in the twisties, the amount of twisty miles is much smaller to the commuting miles.

I don't think I'm going to get that many miles out of the contis I'm running, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet  
biggrin.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Nov. 29 2006,07:17)
(Gunnybusa @ Nov. 29 2006,07:03)
laugh.gif

I only got 7162 miles out of one set, but I took the rear down to where you could just start seeing the cord.  It was down to the wear bars by 6,000 miles. The majority of my ride is commuting to work 5 days a week 62 miles a day.  Just putting back and forth to work doesn't wear them down much.  While I am aggressive in the twisties, the amount of twisty miles is much smaller to the commuting miles.

I don't think I'm going to get that many miles out of the contis I'm running, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet  
biggrin.gif
I put 100 miles a day on mine and I hit the cords by 3500, maybe its do to the fact that I weight twice as much as you Charles so I only get half the mileage
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Most guys that buy PP's don't ride them hard enough to make a difference so anything that's round without lumps will work just fine. Most street riders never get their tires on the bitter edge anyway. But I have seen tons of crashed bikes on PP's at track days. Seems half the bikes crashed are on PP's. PP's seem to stick well but when they let go, it's without warning, games over! The Qualifiers will give you plenty of warning before they give up. I like that!  And, the Qualifiers will take more punishment before they get so hot they become greasy.

lurk.gif

Every brand of tires "feels" different than the others.  Since confidence is the main limiting factor in us non-pro riders, selecting a tire that inspires confidence in you is the best choice.

As far as the PP giving no warning.  I have felt PP starting to go, but then my bike is set-up differently than most and I weigh 165lbs.  PP have a thin sidewall, which I think the rider's weight has a big impact on the feel of the tire.  It also makes them a very light tire, less rotating mass.

Its always easier to blame the tire than the yourself  
wink.gif

Back