METRIC GAUGES

MEYERSJ

Registered
I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 2002 BUSA I BELIEVE ITS A CANADIAN BIKE ORIGANILLY. DIGITAL READOUT FOR FUEL CONSUMPTION AND MILAGE IS IN KILOMETERS IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE THIS RIGHT FOR THE USA. I KNOW ON MY CAR ALL I HAVE TO DO IS PUSH A BUTTON. ANY HELP IS APPREACIATED

getting a Yellow Box from a copany at www.blackrobotics.com
will only convert KPH to MPH and then you buy new gauges.
As for the odometer it cant be changed. I dont know if you can put a US spec model gauge cluster or not. There are a few on ebay. I have a Canadian spec that I bought in Japan and shipped it here to california. The yellow box and gauge face plates is all I used. Hope that helps

FATJAP

Hi from Canada. You can switch the measure from KM to Miles.
You simply click the button until the km/liter shows hold it until clears and keep holding until it switches to miles/liter. Might save some converting.

Damn thing posted too soon. Conversion are as follows, mult miles by 1.6 gives you the KM or other way by 0.6. 4.5 liters per Eng Gallon, 3.78 liters per US gallon.
So, 50 km is about 30 miles and miles per hour converts same. 80 is about 50, 90 is 55, 160 is 100 and (the important one!) 320 is 200! Not really though if you do the exact calc it is 200 * 1.609 = 321.8. So the conversions as almost as far out as the speedo would normally be anyway.
Once you are past 340 get a GPS!

What about looking for another gauge cluster from a cycle salvage yard ? There must be some demolished Busa's out there in these salvage yards that have gauge clusters that work fine ?  I guess then it becomes "how to I reset the odo" hmmm .

For now, maybe learn the conversion - I'm inclined to think the U.S. will switch to metric one of these days !!

You know Bandito, you are not far off. I have been wrenching on my '96 Chevy Tahoe installing a new engine for a few weeks. Most of the engine is metric now, but every so offten you run into a SAE bolt/nut. Talk about annoying! About 10% is still Engish and most of those are on accessories. The core engine is mostly Metric. I would guess because some are assembled in Canada? Mechanics now have to have two sets of tools.....and a lot of calm.

Back