metal polish for mid pipes?

dsbunton646

Registered
a little help please. i have the two bros carbon fiber slip ons on my 08. the mid pipe is a stainless that looks like chrome, or at least it did. as i mentioned in a few other post i had a charging system problem and as a result the mid pipes got really hot when the bike kicked into full rich mode. anyway i finally got it back from the shop (warranty work), but they would not help me out with the discolored midpipes. they look horrible. tarnished to an uneven gold color. is there any kind of metal polish that you can reccomend to try and get the original look back? they tried to sell me a thirty dollar bottle at the dealership, but i declined because i wasn't sure it would even work. any verified products anyone has used with success? thanks in advance.:please::banghead:

There is a product called "Blu - Away". I think this is how it is spelled. I had the chrome turn on a 800 Marauder - My dealer recommended this 9-10 dollars for a bottle the size of an eye drop bottle. I was skeptical, but tried it anyway. It works wonders. It did not remove all of the discoloration, but it did remove 85-90%. And a little goes a long way.

This was chrome, don't know how it will work on stainless steel, but it works well on chrome.

Good luck, let us know what you use and how it works please.

I have used Mothers Metal Polish.
Seems to work well on most metals.
As with any new product that you don't know yourelf, try it on the underside on a small piece first, to see what it does.

When SS gets hot it turns that color, don't know if a polish will be able to restore the finish.

Another Chrome/Stainless cleaner-polish.. Hot Environment Chrome Polish
Supposed to be good for removing gold discoloration from stainless, but no personal experience with it myself.

If you can't find any "do it yourself" stuff that works, you might consider looking in your Yellow Pages for a polisher in or around your area.

thanks for the suggestions. i tried some stuff called blue magic and noxon7. two similar products. not sure if one is any better than the other but they did help. both found in local parts store. i'd say i got most of the gold color out, but there are still some spots that wouldn't budge. both products were about 5 bucks each. i removed both pipes and started polishing by hand. that got old fast, so i went with a 4" electric buffer i use on my boat. made short work of it and i am happy with what i could get for about 5-10 bucks. not like new, but much better. i think i may try the hot environment chrome polish at a later date. :thumbsup:

I have used Mothers Metal Polish.
Seems to work well on most metals.
As with any new product that you don't know yourelf, try it on the underside on a small piece first, to see what it does.

I second the Mother's. Top notch stuff. I let my pipes go a little too long in between cleanings and they had that wonderful blue/gold hue! a little mothers and some elbow grease......looks like new

You can also try Kaboom cleaner from your local supermarket. It works well on the stainless covers on the factory mufflers.

When SS gets hot it turns that color, don't know if a polish will be able to restore the finish.

If I remember right the blue is a form of oxidation that occurs on the surface when stainless steel gets over a certain temp(around 500 deg Fahrenheit). IF that is the case, then it could be removed, but the challenge is to go deep enough in to remove it without leaving severe sratches. That, or lots and lots of polishing time with a rotary polisher.

Last edited by a moderator:
the discoloration was definetely due to excessive heat. i had no problems with them untill it went full rcih and ran like sh*@ because the rectifier went out and the battery drained below 9 volts. all the raw fuel in the exhaust is what did it. it only took about an hour to remove and polish both pipes. i felt as if continuing to polish with the rotary polisher wouldn't have done any more good, at least with the polishing compounds i tried. again, i was happy with the outcome. i should have taken pics of the before (superheated gold) and after (almost back to new) polishing, but i didn't think about it at the time.

Back