Metal on Drain Plug! Pictures...

stnick

Registered
This looks like one of those "compression" pins... maybe not. It is hollow and was stuck to my drain plug. No other metal was on the plug. Bike has 22,000 miles and I run Amsoil with Suzuki OEM filters.

Busa Oil Pan Plug 005.jpg

Don't know what a compression pin is but if that's metal, you should ask a mechanic where it came from.

Don't run the bike. I don't have a manual right in front of me, if I did, I would be looking for any "pins" or "spring pins" or "roll pins". Maybe, a very competent parts guy can help you locate where it might have come from. Once you know where it might have come from, you can then decide whether you have the mechanical skill to repair the bike.

If you run the bike it could cost you *much* more than a minor engine teardown.

If you are unsure of how to repair it, bring the bike (trailer it, don't ride it - unless, you like to gamble...) to a competent Hayabusa mechanic. Pay some now, or pay big later. As it sits now, you will be probably paying for only (my guess) a spring pin and labor (it won't be cheap depending upon where the pin is located).

A related story: My old MX riding buddle was rebuilding the top end of his 125 2-Stroke one day. The wrist pin had needle bearings supporting it. One needle bearing fell out while he was inserting the piston on the connecting rod. He couldn't find it. Didn't know if it fell in the crankcase or not (of course, he didn't stuff a rag in the opening to prevent such a problem). I told him to either find a magnet and use it to see if he could find it in the crankcase, or split the cases to *verify* that it didn't fall in the crankcase. He didn't want to split the cases, so he bought another needle bearing, closed up the top end, and tried to start it. Yep, as you would expect, it started, then immediately froze solid. When he removed the top end he found his "missing" needle bearing (jammed between his piston and exhaust port.) Moral of story: Plan for the worst, expect the improbable. Is the risk worth it?

Maybe one of the other members who have torn down their motors a number of times might have a clue as to where it might have come from...

Good luck.

if that is a hollow split roll pin..pull the can chain tensioner, it is probably broken..

Maybe a pin from the shift fork in the transmission. I dunno could be a lot of things. Ask a competenmt mechanic maybe a guy who wrenches in the pits he'll know what it is. Wardie

did it make any noises before you found that. Mine is making a zzzzzzz noise. it gets worse under a load and changes with RPM>???

No unusual noises. If I didn't enjoy my time changing oil and inspecting everything closely while the plastic is off I may not have noticed the damn thing. I looked at it through my jewelers hood and it is a rolled piece of metal. Upon closer inspection it looks like the piece used to live inside a mating hole. I say this because one end is untouched and the other end is clearly deformed and broken.
I know this served a purpose, but was it just a dowel/guide or line-up pin that is pretty useless once the fastener(s) are tightened? Someone asked if I ride aggressively... yes I do but I take care of my equipment and ride with guys that ride like I do. I'm fortunate that we have some of the best roads in the world right here in N. Al and S.Tn.
Here's another photo.

Busa Oil Pan Plug 003.jpg

It is out of the shifter shaft in the transmission. I would take it to someone you trust to tear down and inspect it.
Good Luck with it.

The result's of many picture viewings and personal handlings is this piece is a "machine roll". It is scrap from most any lathe work. The fact that it is one flat piece of metal rolled into shape indicates it has no mechanical purpose or use. Soooo.... I'm off to Barber this weekend with my usual buds. Hopefully this is the correct guesstimate! It does make sense to me that this piece is too flimsy to be structural.

Thanks to all that contributed.

Nick:cheerleader:

Back