Metal Item In My Fuel Tank

jamhulsey

Registered
Long story short, the bike sat for several years while I was overseas. Now that I'm back in the US I broke it out and started trying to get it back in shape. It won't start so today I pulled the fuel tank and fuel pump out to see if they were gummed up. They looked pretty clean, but as I was shaking the last few drops of the tank I heard a clank. So I flipped it over and looked in. I found this metal item and I can't figure out where it came from. I'm assuming it's a piece of the fuel pump but I don't see anywhere on the pump that would t would attach. Could this be the culprit for the bike not starting? I'm thinking I may need a new fuel pump, any idea what could have happened and how to fix it?

Picture of the item in my tank is attached.

Additinal info: The bike fires up with starter fluid but only for a couple of seconds. The fuel trickled through the fuel line but doesn't seem to be spraying out of the injectors which I took apart and cleaned, replaced seals, sprayed injector cleaners through with and adapter, and put new screens on. New plugs, new battery, all fuses are good. It isn't throwing codes in dealer mode and only has 4300 miles.

IMG_9386.JPG

Fuel pump regulator, that's kinda needed to be attached, only gravity pressure to injectors without it connected, good for fuel economy though :).

IMG_2304.JPG

I just read the rest of your post, it just pushes in but it needs that white plastic retaining clamp, I can't imagine Suzuki put it in as a spare ;).

Just left the Suzuki dealer. They want $329 for the assembly with the plastic clip. My plastic clip is gone. Have no idea where unless it wedged down in the tank. Think I could rig a bracket?

Update: I replaced the overly expensive plastic bracket that holds the fuel regulator with a metal wire. It has a strong hold. Bike fired right up. Barely even smoked, one problem. It jumped straight to 4000 rpms and stayed there. inahut it off after about 20 seconds. Fuel map possibly messed up?

That's great news, Suzuki do have an interesting sense of humour, when pricing up their parts, bit of strong wire should be fine.
If the bikes been standing, check for partially seized throttle cables, disconnect both cables from the throttle body linkage, see if it idles correctly, also check your manual idle adjustment that is adjusted from the right side of the frame and the 'choke' (which isn't) on the left handle bar switchgear, eliminate manual things, before getting involved with electrical.
I'm a bit in the dark with regards to ecu mapping but anything is possible on the busa lol.

Turned out to just be the idle screw. She's running great now. No smoke, just a smooth beautiful idle. Can't wait to get her back on the stree. Thanks for the help gentlemen. Gonna keep my eye out for a plastic clip to replace the wire but it'll do for now.

I'd say that your clamp is in the tank, give it a good shake while holding it upside down, it has to be there or get the angle grinder out and give your tank a sunroof :thumbsup:.

Back