Metal Building Materials

Mellow77

Feelin' Froggy
Donating Member
Registered
.org Family,

I can't help but be proud of the people the .org calls family. I've witnessed wonderful acts of generosity since joining and I must say it's a breath of fresh air. There are often days I feel like the world is going to sh*t. You all continue to remind me there are plenty of good people left in the world and inspire me to try to make a difference in the lives of others.

Along those lines I'd like your thoughts, ideas or any kind of help you can offer. It's been the dream of my uncle to have his own paint shop for as long as I can remember. He's painted everything from gun stocks to tanks, semi's and helicopters. In fact, I picked up my race plastics he just completed yesterday (I'll post pics once they're mounted). I could ramble on and on about the difference he's made in my life but let's just say he's been a constant reminder of the value of actions over money on a frequent basis in my life.

I would like to make his dream come true but am struggling in completing a critical part of the plan. My uncle has the land for a shop and most of the equipment needed but he's out of work in this economy and doing odds and ends to continue to support his wife and two daughters. I am more than willing to fund the concrete work...etc for the base of the shop but am struggling to come up with the components of the building. A metal building 40' x 60' would allow him to have the space necessary to have his own painting business. He's done this for years but has always had to rent space and now isn't able to afford the additional rent.

The ask I have of you all is if you know of someone in possession of an old metal building, barn or something similar that would like it gone to please let me know. I've got resources available to come take it down and haul it back to Kansas City. I'm just running out of resources here locally that have what I'm looking for.

Any help would be appreciated! :please:

Thanks for giving my request consideration. I know I'll be able to figure it out somehow...just thought I'd open it up to the .org family.

I've got a 40'X60'. The concrete work was almost half the cost of the project.

If you were to get a building donated you might run into a snag getting it passed by the planning/building depts. Those buildings are engineered for wind and snow loads etc. If you don't have all the documents, engineering plans and calculations you would have to find a structural engineer reverse engineer it.

Maybe not impossible but next to it, especially if it's and older building and not up to the current code.

I will be building a CVS in KC shortly, I should have some metal decking and maybe some joists left over.

Back