Messed up in PDX

mitchelldanger

Registered
I made a pretty stupid decision of riding with a group of guys who were raging through the city and I was so hyped up that I couldn't help but join in. I did a few wheelies and had some fun. One of those wheelies bucked me off and I went down hard. According to the paramedic, my bike slid about 200 feet from me and I slid probably 100 feet or so.

I was wearing a helmet, gloves, jeans, a T-shirt and two sweatshirts instead of sturdier gear because I wasn't intending on going too far from the house until I found those guys. Everything was completely shredded and the EMTs had to cut everything off of me on the scene to diagnose my injuries. The cops rolled up and made me acutely aware of how badly I fucked up.

I was discharged from the hospital. A solid 10 percent of my body is covered in road rash and wouldn't you know it, I've smashed the poop out of my knees and hip so badly I can barely walk and my arms might as well be noodles.

But I'm alive! I could feel my neck snapping back and forth as momentum grated me forward along the curb and street. I have no idea why I didn't die because I should have.

The CT scan found an aortic aneurysm in my chest that is about 4.5cm. Glad I went to the hospital and glad to live in a place where the medical technology is so sophisticated.

I am sorry for being a poor ambassador of the motorcycle community and demonstrating exactly the type of irresponsible behavior that sometimes lends a bad reputation to motorcyclists. I have embarrassed myself beyond my ability to explain and I am sorry for creating all of these problems. I don't think I'll get to ride again and I don't really know if I even deserve to at this point.

Please be safe and even if you've ridden for 10 or 20 or 30 years, remember that this isn't a joke. I'm so glad that no one else was hurt or injured by my poor judgment. Thanks for all of the support you guys give and thanks for everything you all do for the community.

20200524_220610_HDR.jpg
Use good gear! It saves lives

I made a pretty stupid decision of riding with a group of guys who were raging through the city and I was so hyped up that I couldn't help but join in. I did a few wheelies and had some fun. One of those wheelies bucked me off and I went down hard. According to the paramedic, my bike slid about 200 feet from me and I slid probably 100 feet or so.

I was wearing a helmet, gloves, jeans, a T-shirt and two sweatshirts instead of sturdier gear because I wasn't intending on going too far from the house until I found those guys. Everything was completely shredded and the EMTs had to cut everything off of me on the scene to diagnose my injuries. The cops rolled up and made me acutely aware of how badly I fucked up.

I was discharged from the hospital. A solid 10 percent of my body is covered in road rash and wouldn't you know it, I've smashed the poop out of my knees and hip so badly I can barely walk and my arms might as well be noodles.

But I'm alive! I could feel my neck snapping back and forth as momentum grated me forward along the curb and street. I have no idea why I didn't die because I should have.

The CT scan found an aortic aneurysm in my chest that is about 4.5cm. Glad I went to the hospital and glad to live in a place where the medical technology is so sophisticated.

I am sorry for being a poor ambassador of the motorcycle community and demonstrating exactly the type of irresponsible behavior that sometimes lends a bad reputation to motorcyclists. I have embarrassed myself beyond my ability to explain and I am sorry for creating all of these problems. I don't think I'll get to ride again and I don't really know if I even deserve to at this point.

Please be safe and even if you've ridden for 10 or 20 or 30 years, remember that this isn't a joke. I'm so glad that no one else was hurt or injured by my poor judgment. Thanks for all of the support you guys give and thanks for everything you all do for the community.

Don’t worry too much about the aneurysm. Until they’re 6cm there’s not much to worry about, so says my Dr as I also have one. Some years back I had a coiling procedure done for an aneurysm on my brain stem. 11 titanium coils @ 1k each and two SS stents. I have an MRI every six months to check on it. Good luck with your recovery.

Sometimes things happen when they are least wanted or expected....the main thing about all this is-you are alive, well and able to post on here.

Is the bike repairable? Never give up or accept defeat, if I were you, I'd be finding a way to fix up that bike and plan on riding it again...time is on your side.

When you do get it fixed and are riding again-if you see a gaggle of squids ripping through the city like madmen, go the other way...

You prolly wont get too much flaming here,poo-poo happens.There are lessons for all in your post.
'Wasn't going to far" hence the jeans and t-shirt. Maybe somebody will take that to heart.
Wheelies...everybody knows...just more proof.
Squids...everybody knows,but the temptation can be huge to show 'em a thing or 2.
Good luck with the healing. :thumbsup:
And to stay true to my messed up sense of humor(I am the Rubb after all)...and to maybe put a smile on your face I have to ask...
Are there any spare parts available?
Rubb.

Going to try to get the bike out of impound later if my brother is available. I'll grab some more gauze and bandage stuff. Road rash is no joke!

I still haven't told my parents because I know they are going to freak out and it's better that they not have any additional stress.

If the bike isn't salvageable, I will do the best I can to find a safe home for the parts! It was a bit of a yardsale but I am pretty lucky, so who knows?

Going to try to get the bike out of impound later if my brother is available. I'll grab some more gauze and bandage stuff. Road rash is no joke!

I still haven't told my parents because I know they are going to freak out and it's better that they not have any additional stress.

If the bike isn't salvageable, I will do the best I can to find a safe home for the parts! It was a bit of a yardsale but I am pretty lucky, so who knows?

Parents don't like surprises...if I were you, I'd be telling them before social media does....

Road rash.Follow the doc's advice. Wear nothing next to it as much as possible,let the air heal it.Apply the latest and greatest ointment at the required intervals and keep it clean. I have no visible scars.;)
Rubb.

Back