mechanically driven turbo's??

dr.nick

Registered
First,HAPPY NEW YEAR,Hope Santa was good to you all!
OK,that outa the way,does anyone know about a Turbo
running off a belt via the crank on a Busa...I saw one
at ATCO in Sept,looked like a clean and professional
install,ran OK,just wondering who make's it??
beerchug.gif

(dr.nick @ Jan. 02 2007,12:43) First,HAPPY NEW YEAR,Hope Santa was good to you all!
OK,that outa the way,does anyone know about a Turbo
running off a belt via the crank on a Busa...I saw one
at ATCO in Sept,looked like a clean and professional
install,ran OK,just wondering who make's it??
beerchug.gif
That would be a "Super Charger" not a turbo
wink.gif

Now here is something that I have been thinking of for the past few years.

Consider this:

WTF would happen if you DID mechanically drive a turbo?
Meaning that the turbo would be connected as normal but have an extended shaft that could be driven off the crank.

It IMO would make boost on the compressor side but also make vacume on the exaust! This should make the motor breath better and make HP.

I have heard they had something like this on WWII fighter-bombers but I dont really know.

I know I am just mind f-ing myself with this but it does make me wonder!

-JH

(Jonny Hotnuts @ Jan. 04 2007,09:58) Now here is something that I have been thinking of for the past few years.

Consider this:

WTF would happen if you DID mechanically drive a turbo?
Meaning that the turbo would be connected as normal but have an extended shaft that could be driven off the crank.

It IMO would make boost on the compressor side but also make vacume on the exaust! This should make the motor breath better and make HP.

I have heard they had something like this on WWII fighter-bombers but I dont really know.

I know I am just mind f-ing myself with this but it does make me wonder!

-JH
It would be a complete TURD!!! Superchargers have transmissions that change impellar ratio to crankshaft ratio. If you drove a turbo off the crank RPM it wouldnt produce much boost at all. You would be turning it into a supercharger with no transmission. A Busa motor runs 0-11,000 rpm some even push beyond redline but not much. Turbos can get up to around 100,000 rpm's under boost.

Back