Mechanic help - Nissan Altima

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I've got an '06 Altima with the 4 cylinder...it's running like crap and stalls
It's getting worse and stalls when running down the road.
I've got 55,000 on it...I didn't want to hear a peep out of this car
till I hit 100,000 :banghead:

Car starts like a champ cold but then dies usually at least once on a short
trip then starts like crap when hot.

I've got the check engine light on and took it by autozone.

Got two codes:
1-Crankshaft position sensor (short circuit/electrical con./ etc)
2-Engine speed signal circuit (short circuit/electrical con./ etc)

I would appreciate opinions...

1-My worry is that since both are showing electrical problems, I wonder if
it's not the sensor or circuit but the main ECU.

2-Crankshaft position sensor I guess is pretty straight foreward if that in
fact is one of the problems.

3-Engine speed signal....circuit...what the heck is that, jus the wire
itself ???

4-Does it sound resonable that these are the only issues and it would manifest
itself in the syptoms I've outlined?

Hate to waste time, effort, and money on chasing things.

Not to mention , seems like the tranny is starting to slip a little.

So my 50,000 3 year warrenty expires and I'm driving a car that has multiple
issues, stalls at any given time, and may have a tranny problem. Another
Nissan is NOT in my future.

I'd trade the bugger but your first few years are mostly interest payments and
a car depreciates faster than you can pay (till you reach the end of the loan)
so...I'm to far over/under and it doesn't quilify the the CARS govt' deal or
we wouldn't be talking about it now.

Any insight would help...thanks

I work for a local Nissan dealership, the hard starting and stalling definately sounds like the crank position sensor! The second code I will have to ask about. My friend's 02 Altima was doing the same thing a few months back, it would shut off while driving and sometimes take forever to start up again. The Nissan diagonostics computer showed a bad crank position sensor,it was replaced and she has'nt had a problem since.

I work for a local Nissan dealership, the hard starting and stalling definately sounds like the crank position sensor! The second code I will have to ask about. My friend's 02 Altima was doing the same thing a few months back, it would shut off while driving and sometimes take forever to start up again. The Nissan diagonostics computer showed a bad crank position sensor,it was replaced and she has'nt had a problem since.

I turn wrenchs at my Uncle's shop.

I agree probably the crank sensor.

If you are not comfortable with the diagnostic at AutoZone take it to Advance Auto here in North Georgia they will run a diagnostic as well, do this to compare the two handheld computers (I Use the Auto-Xray hand hel it seems to do a good job). If both say the crank sensor then go with that.

THanks guys....I did some internet searching on an Altima Forum (who'd a figrued,
guess they got a forum for everything :laugh:) and the exact problem was
cured with the crankshaft sensor. Guy even complained it manifested itself
as a tranny problem as well. Site even had a tutorial with pictures. :thumbsup:
So I'll give that a go and see where it leads me.

PADEROLIS, I'm still very interested in the 2nd code as well. If you could get me
some more info I'd appreciate it.

The engine speed is determined by the crankshaft sensor, as the engine rotates the crank sensor relays the info to the computer to determine rpm or enginie speed, I have a feeling if you replace that sensor your other problems should be fixed also.

if not it could also be your throttle position sensor based on that other code. I have seen this happen and the dealer needs to reset it. ( this sometimes happens when your battery gets disconnected the memory of the unit gets erased.)

Also, 9 times out of 10 when the CPS starts to go bad, your tach will jump around before it stalls.

The crank sensor gives problems on these cars. I've changed them out before and they are a biotch to get to. If you change it yourself, they have a different design. Before you put the sensor all the way into the block, start your bolt then push it in. They are a pain. good luck.

i just fixed this on my wife's 05' 2.5s and shortly after that, she buys a lexus rx330 on me to show her appreciation. :whistle: this is a very easy fix! your symptoms fall right in line with her car which altima's are notorious for this problem. this has gradually been a problem for over a year. try this DIY and buy the part at a local auto part store for about $40 ,get a flexible flashlight,10mm socket w/ratchet, and telescopic mini mirror because it's tucked behind the motor and it's hard to see. good luck and let me know if this helped.
DIY Crankshaft Position Sensor CPS 2006 2.5 Altima - Nissan Forums: Nissan Altima Forum

It's the crank sensor. Once it gets hot the resistance inside the sensor gets out of whack and produces a screwy signal. The way Nissan monitors cam sensor health is by comparing the cam sensor to the crank sensor. Thus it tosses both codes.

crank sensor located in distributor is going out causing stalling install a reman or used distibutor in it and that will fix it :beerchug:

The engine speed is determined by the crankshaft sensor, as the engine rotates the crank sensor relays the info to the computer to determine rpm or enginie speed, I have a feeling if you replace that sensor your other problems should be fixed also.

+1! I talked to one of our master technitians and he informed me that more than likely replacing the CPS will eliminate both codes. Keep in mind there is still a slight possibility there are two seperate problems.

bought the part today around $35
will tackle it tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

I asked the guy at autozone..."this isn't one of those parts I buy and you put on
like the windshield wipers or batteries...:laugh:?"

Back