Meanwhile, at the Drop Zone...

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
From last Saturday...felt good to get my knees in the breeze again after a 6 month break:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another...I am giving the "look' to the jumper taking the video, because he's supposed to be taking my hand, not my leg....oh, and landing on the tarmac in front of the hanger because the wind is blowing too hard to make it to the landing area is NOT recommended...

Lastly, Sunset load. Never completed 1st point two people were out. And one of the floaters lost his helmet on exit.

lastly, I am just ABOUT TO FALL OFF. There's usually a rail bolted outside of the fuselage so we have something to hold onto (float); the only rail was inside and all I had to hold onto outside was a thin strip of metal...

And we're the crazy ones :laugh:

Glad you got back out and had fun!! I could not do it, not for all the money in the world!! But, I'm glad you can :p

The first one is perfect...there is no other feeling like jumping out the door and having a touch down that is like walking down a set of stairs

:poke: so when jumping out of a plane is not enough, you add get kicked in your face ballet to it?
:thumbs: your the man, MAN! that is pretty darn groovy.

is it me, or
when you deploy your parachute, it just looks like you are fallng slower, not gliding along on a parafoil wing (like it looks like on tv).
I have never jumped and know nothing about it, but I am curious.

Would love to do that but am scared of heights.
Made my belly feel funny just watching that.

It is a proven fact that fear of heights is only valid when you are connected to the ground. Airplanes don't count!
Looking off a tall building or a cliff you could claim fear of height.

Lots of people say "I'll try anything once" that would have to include skydiving, right? Otherwise that statement isn't true.

just curious ...

whats the beeping sound on the first video at 2:36 and 3:14 ?

That is the audible altimeter going off. While we all wear an altimeter that we can see (wrist, ect.), most all of us also have an audible in our helmets as a backup. Their settings can be adjusted so that we can individually set altitudes for breakoff, deployment, and hard deck (meaning, PULL NOW YOU DAMN FOOL or CUT AWAY). Mine is normally set for 4000/2500/1500 ft. I'll up that breakoff number if we are doing larger formation dives. Not only does mine give me an audible, it also stores all my jump information (jump #, exit altitude, freefall speed, avg freefall speed, time of freefall) for me to later add to my logbook. I've got like 42 HOURS of accumulated freefall time stored on that device.

is it me, or
when you deploy your parachute, it just looks like you are fallng slower, not gliding along on a parafoil wing (like it looks like on tv).
I have never jumped and know nothing about it, but I am curious.

Remember, when you deploy your main, you are slowing down in vertical speed from about 110 mph to about 10-15 mph in about 3-4 seconds. On video, it looks like you are 'popping up' but what you are really doing is slowing down as other fall away from you. Once it's open, you ARE gliding, but also descending at the same time. It doesn't stop the fall, it just slows it down to a manageable speed. At landing, we are using our brakes to 'flare' our wing, just like an airplane without power, or better a helicopter that does an autorotation, and are using the remaining energy stored from the glide of the wing to help stop.

It is a proven fact that fear of heights is only valid when you are connected to the ground. Airplanes don't count!
Looking off a tall building or a cliff you could claim fear of height.

Lots of people say "I'll try anything once" that would have to include skydiving, right? Otherwise that statement isn't true.

Because there is no ground object nearby, you don't have the same fear of heights, but it's a different fear. I'm always 'apprehensive' about jumping, but that's a good thing as it keeps me paying attention.

I was a boatload more scared of heights when I visited the Grand Canyon last month...

Back