McDonalds should pull out of San Fran

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
This article just blows my mind.... Are you telling me that parents in San Francisco are unable to tell their kids "No" when its time to order food, or are the parents unable to go anywhere else to eat?

If I were McDonalds I would pull out of San Francisco completely, what's next?

In my opinion this is a perfect example of local government over extending and getting into personal business of citizens...

San Francisco may order Happy Meals to go -- permanently - CNN.com

But the gov has no problem with tobacco. Seems like the endless supply of stupidity is readily available in any city I don't have to leave Miami FL. to read some. :banghead:

Stupid politicians. I am glad that in the future, if I have a child, I won't have to worry about making any decisions as a parent because there will be laws for everything by then

Stupid politicians. I am glad that in the future, if I have a child, I won't have to worry about making any decisions as a parent because there will be laws for everything by then

I used to think it was just the politicians but someone keeps putting them in office and allowing them to do the things they are doing... Having what seems to be a far fetched and long reaching law like this once seems unbelievable but we continue to see all across the country legislation that is passed and supported by the citizens... What this tells me is that people in San Francisco seem to be okay with the govt taking over their decision making process.. I have been searching for articles or blogs or anything I can find from people that are upset with this and honestly I can't find alot...

cap

I am starting to find a few things... I thought this was good... Not only would McDonalds not be able to add a toy but they have to add fruits or vegetables too, doesn't that somehow take away from a business offering a service or product? I guess I am just a redneck hick that doesn't get it.. Maybe the answer is to make those fat kids get up and get outside, maybe they should pass a law to hold the parents responsible for the fat kids not the restaraunt!

McDonald's spokeswoman Danya Proud has said the company was "extremely disappointed with the decision."

"It's not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for. Public opinion continues to be overwhelmingly against this misguided legislation," Proud said in a statement. "Parents tell us it's their right and responsibility -- not the government's - to make their own decisions and to choose what's right for their children.

"We are extremely proud of our Happy Meals which give our youngest guests wholesome food and toys of the highest quality. Getting a toy with a kid's meal is just one part of a fun, family experience at McDonald's," Proud said.

Under the proposal, the food and beverage would have to contain fewer than 600 calories, and less than 35 percent of total calories would come from fat.

The meal would also have to contain 0.5 cups of fruit and 0.75 cups of vegetables and offer less than 640 mg of sodium and less than 0.5 mg of trans fat. Breakfast would have the option of offering 0.5 cups of fruit or vegetables.

City officials expect a legal challenge from McDonald's once the ordinance is approved.

i tell ya rthe more and more i read and see the more and more i think our time of freedom is coming to a close. Problem now days is there is no more new land to discover to get away from oppression.

People should be free to pollute their children with any fast food they want. This is America! Give the people what they want!!! Processed food. Throw some extra lard on the grill!!! :rofl:

So the toys entice the 'children' to but the happy meal ?
I thought it was the parents buying them for the kids?

I don't think Mickey D's has anything to do with obesity.
Both my kids are fine , healthy and nowhere near obese and both love McDonalds fries :) same as daddy does :)
And Adam loves the toys. He got one the other day that has some super hero inside a thingamajigger that spins as you push a button and reveals the guy inside.
To him it's the coolest thing of the week.

Them fat kids need to put the Xbox controller down and get some exercise is more like the reason.
My kids could eat Mickey D's every day and would never fatten up, they exercise and play too much for anything to stick to them .

Next they will say that they have to start selling fruit pizzas.

It's San Francisco, what do you expect? This is what happens when you allow liberals/"progressives" to be in charge....

McDonald's has been making promises for two years now to make an effort to provide a childs meal with less calories & lower fat & sodium. They have done the exact opposite and included more crap and marketed their unhealthy food in a fashion that entices kids to want to eat there.

As parents we are constantly on the go. And with many of today's work schedules home cooked meals & the dinner table has all but become obsolete. So lets be honest, if we come home from a tired day and our kids are asking for something to eat....we ask them what they'd like right? They say "McDonald's!" ...it should be up to McDonald's to do what they can to provide a semi healthy meal for our children. Not one that has twice the recommended calories for one day for a 3-6yr old!
The average child sees 3.8 ads a day for fast food establishments and they target our children with dirty marketing and toys that pull on their heart strings.

Do we have a choice to say "no" and take our business elsewhere? Of course we do. But is it realistic that we will never eat there again? No....after all 2.4 Billion served can't be wrong....right!?

But the gov has no problem with tobacco. Seems like the endless supply of stupidity is readily available in any city I don't have to leave Miami FL. to read some. :banghead:

Micky D's doesn't line the pockets of politicians like R. J. Reynolds does.

McDonald's has been making promises for two years now to make an effort to provide a childs meal with less calories & lower fat & sodium. They have done the exact opposite and included more crap and marketed their unhealthy food in a fashion that entices kids to want to eat there.

As parents we are constantly on the go. And with many of today's work schedules home cooked meals & the dinner table has all but become obsolete. So lets be honest, if we come home from a tired day and our kids are asking for something to eat....we ask them what they'd like right? They say "McDonald's!" ...it should be up to McDonald's to do what they can to provide a semi healthy meal for our children. Not one that has twice the recommended calories for one day for a 3-6yr old!
The average child sees 3.8 ads a day for fast food establishments and they target our children with dirty marketing and toys that pull on their heart strings.

Do we have a choice to say "no" and take our business elsewhere? Of course we do. But is it realistic that we will never eat there again? No....after all 2.4 Billion served can't be wrong....right!?

If we had PE in schools every day and every year, like it used to be, maybe they could run off a few pounds.:whistle:

Stupid effort to try to help parents. Again just stupid.
The other side of the coin is:
There is a serious childhood obesity problem in America and it is at epidemic levels.
We want to keep Health Care cost down (preventive care is the best way) and we don't want to spend more on Schools to keep PE.
Then future Diabetic, Heart attack, strokes are waiting to happen.
Believe it or not some parents are clueless to what they are doing to their kids.
How to we help Parents without stupid efforts like in Cal.?

When I was a kid we spent the day riding bikes, and there was no such thing as vending Machines in School. PE, you dressed up for it or you got an F.

6'3 190 at forty since I was eighteen and I live on fast food or some sort of homecooked Cuban food which is beans , rice and pork, chicken or beef .
My cholesterol is low and I'm fine .
I don't believe McDonalds is the cause and it's unfair to say they serve 'unhealthy' food as quarter pounders and big macs are gifts from heaven :)

Severe lack of exercise is the problem !

6'3 190 at forty since I was eighteen and I live on fast food or some sort of homecooked Cuban food which is beans , rice and pork, chicken or beef .
My cholesterol is low and I'm fine .
I don't believe McDonalds is the cause and it's unfair to say they serve 'unhealthy' food as quarter pounders and big macs are gifts from heaven :)

Severe lack of exercise is the problem !

No argument that fast food can be sooo damn good! Otherwise they would be out of business.
But there is plenty "unhealthy" on the menu. The fat and sodium levels in the food is off the charts.
You may be gifted with genes that help or better yet moderation is everything.
If my kids were young I would keep them out of there as much as I could.

I guess the next thing is to ban oreo's from the grocery store since parents can't say no. That pesky tradition called halloween is bad for them too so I suggest the local govt step in.

Kids don't have money to spend on food, they can't drive to mcdonalds to get a burger at their leisure.

Maybe we need to get a food rating system like movies you must be accompanied by a parent to get a happy meal with a toy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You know they also banned plastic grocery bags too, right?

Only paper bags are available. Makes it really hard to carry groceries home for some people. Instead of walking now they take their car.

Guess their plan wasn't too smart in hindsight.

it's not mcdonalds responsibility to provide your child with a healthy meal, it's yours. i personally can't hold mcdonalds food down and haven't been able to for about 5 years now. but this does something that establishes a dangerous precedent for the removal of personal responsibility from the average citizen. and that really burns my biscuits.

Back