MC NOVICE on my OHIO drivers license. Need some info on this...Pls

varma917989

Registered
I moved from California to Ohio, I got my Ohio license here today which has endorsement M, but right beside my picture it say "MC NOVICE until 11-08-2012" . Were there any specific rules for this like Shouldnt drive at night, wear helment always.

Never heard of that before, especially if you transferred a license from one state to another.

Call the DMV and ask what, if any, restrictions this puts on your Ohio motorcycle privileges. They may have just made a mistake and can fix it for you.

Did you have to surrender your old license? Or did they punch a hole in it and let you keep it? I'm asking, because that is your proof that you had an unrestricted motorcycle endorsement previously.

Sounds like the DMV screwed up...and once you leave the property its your baby. Its posted on a sign on the wall and some of the desks there. :banghead:

In Ohio.
Permit used to be: no night riding, no highway riding, no passengers and you must wear a helmet.
Novice (which lasts 1 year from passing the MC riding test) used to be: Must wear a helmet.

However, a guy at work recently got his endorsement and said they changed it. Now you must follow the old permit rules while your a "novice" rider.. No highway, no night riding, no passengers and always with a lid.

Not that it means anything, but I know of a lot of guys that break most of those laws. (including the guy that just told me they changed it :laugh:)
I tried it and had a state trooper pace me for a couple miles, I scheduled my test that week. :whistle:

Check the back of your license. Restrictions are normally explained there.

Maybe this will get you your answer :

You will be required to contact Motorcycle Ohio at 1-800-837-4337 to see if the requirements of that state meet Ohio's guidelines.

I called DMV-- they are also not sure about it :banghead:, All he said is we have to have the helment all the times but he does not think we dont have to ride at night time and on interstates.

Thanks for all information guys, but still i wanted make sure...:laugh:

I called DMV-- they are also not sure about it :banghead:, All he said is we have to have the helment all the times but he does not think we dont have to ride at night time and on interstates.

That wasn't much of an answer. I'd call again and find out how to change it to remove any restrictions.

All it is that you got to wear a helmet for 1 year. It's because you transfered your license from another state. So they make you a novice for 1 year. You can ride at night, on interstate, and every thing else but for 1 year got to wear a helmet.

Welcome to the forum @jmbsr61 . Feel free to tell us about your bikes in the New Owner's Forum.

Getting used to watching posts dates can take a little time. I read everything that I had interest in and then marked the entire site as "read."

Back