Maybe my gas gauge is stuck

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I rode around for the second time this year. It is starting to be 70, sunny, beautiful.

Anyway, I keep the tank very full all winter with gas that has Stabil in it. So, I'm wanting to burn this stuff up and put some fresh in. I keep watching the gauge, and it says totally full (on the top white line) for many miles.

I checked the gauge when I flip the ignition on and off and it goes to empty, does its cycle thing, and goes to the full mark.

I'm riding around at scare-all-the-traffic speeds. And the needle doesn't move. I didn't ride all that far, but my gut is telling me that the gauge should have moved by now. I start doing some slam-the-front-brake stuff to make the gas move around. Finally after a lot of fast hit the brakes stuff, the needle barely moves below the white line.

I stop and open the gas cap. If I move left and right, I can see gas flow over the silver part, but it looks low to be so full to me.

So, if I ride around and the gauge doesn't seem to be right, what do I do to fix it. It would have to be a stuck (or sticky float). I have no error codes. Could be an overactive imagination, but I've been surprised in the past how fast the needle will drop if I keep dropping the hammer.

I know mine shows full for a while maybe the first 50mi then it just drops from full to empty like you would expect it to,i would say as long as you can see fuel,ride it some more and see if it begins to move,you did mention it has dropped a little

watch the odometer... I usually fuel at 150-175 miles or so and it takes around 3.5 to 4.0 gallons

Sounds like a stuck float, keep an eye on it, it might free up as the tank gets lower in fuel.

Did you have anything apart? Loose or open connection?

The gauge sweep should be just a gauge stepper motor calibration, it might not be getting a signal.

Not sure what year you have but on my 08, it will stay full for probably 50 miles or more. Then it drops QUICKLY between Full and like 1/4 full. Then that last 1/4 tank goes down like you would expect.

BS

Are you running HIDS and is so where are your ballasts? My Fuel and temp gauges appear to work fine and sweep, but once the bike is runing every few times the gauges just pick a spot and lock there until the bike is cycled on and off a few times... It is normally full and hot where they land but I have seen a few other spots occur...

Sounds like a stuck float, keep an eye on it, it might free up as the tank gets lower in fuel.

Did you have anything apart? Loose or open connection?

The gauge sweep should be just a gauge stepper motor calibration, it might not be getting a signal.
Nope nothing apart. That's what keeps amazing me about this bike(05). Nothing, at least so far, breaks.

I'll watch it a while more. If it starts dropping then no worries. Else, it would be a float. I have no idea how I would get at something like that.

Are you running HIDS and is so where are your ballasts? My Fuel and temp gauges appear to work fine and sweep, but once the bike is runing every few times the gauges just pick a spot and lock there until the bike is cycled on and off a few times... It is normally full and hot where they land but I have seen a few other spots occur...
No HIDs. I've thought about them though. Then people tell me that they have strange side effects like you mention. I would really like to put HIDs in though. Is putting a Silver Star in worth the trouble?

Silver star bulbs are ok, just a little whiter than the standard halogens, I have them on my '02 Cady STS.

As for the gas gauge, this is quite normal for the busa, mine always read full for about 50-75miles (depending on how much I topped off) then it drops normally. I never let it drop below about 1/4 tank by the gauge (no reason too, bad for the fuel pump and out here there is a station on every other corner) so I don't know how the light or the bottom 1/4 of the tank works but I'm guessing its not like the full mark.

Get to about a 120 miles on her and see if the needle moves, I dont care how you ride, you should be able to pull a 120 miles on a tank and that will tell you. Good luck and keep us posted.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

I must have had the tank really full. Today it started dropping, and fast, as I'm accustomed to.

Knocking on my wooden head here, but this bike is just plain trouble free. About the only thing it really needs is tires. Not because they are worn, but because they are more than 3 years old. I don't care about high mileage. I'd rather have really sticky good handling tires. I'm open to suggestions.
javascript:emoticon('
hello.gif
')
smilie

Same here, my gas gauge will start to move off the full mark after 80 miles or so. I can usually get about 240 miles on a full tank of gas if I maintain my speed between 65 and 70 mph. That's nNot bad with a modified air box,pair mod,a Brock Ti Street Smart Exhaust Gen III (aftermarket 4 into 1 exhuast)and a PCIII downloaded with Brocks street race map .

Back