May I share this with you?

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
As I've mentioned in other conversations, I am searching for "the perfect retirement region". I've narrowed it down to 3-4 areas in the Western United States. Of course, part of the criteria for me is I must have 1)access to a track and awesome twisties 2)the best bicycle roads (wide bike lanes in mountains) and 3)singletrack paths that go forever into the wilderness (for my mountain bike and KLR) 4)access to a city that has some culture 5)a deck with views! 6)man cave 7)whatever my wife wants (which usually has priority over any of my wants).

SO! Currently the leader of the pack in areas is the Sangre de Christo mountains, specifically the Taos area and highlands. Below are just a few pics of listings I'm looking at...notice the VIEW FROM THE FREEKIN BEDROOM!

Maybe the beautiful state of New Mexico is in my future. Oh yeah, two of the other regions are Northern Oregon near the coast and Prescott, Az. Doyle

TAOSMLS87343B.jpg

TAOSMLS90918.jpg

taos_mls_listing.jpg

2nd post, trying to make pic bigger. agh! wrong pic, still trying. Just can't enlarge the little guy...one click bigger and it's such low res it gets blury, oh well, heck of a view to sip coffee from!

201200651_04.jpg

taos_mls_listing.jpg

You lucky O'l dog. If ! I ever get some equity in my house i will sell and buy a huge RV trailer. Where to put it i don't know yet. You were/are smart you did it right... so Good Luck to you Raydog.

been narrowing down a retirement spot myself for a few yrs. from now and that looks like a great place. how far are the drag strips from there? what about snow skiing?

Are non believers allowed to live in the Sangre De Christo area?

:rofl:

Sorry couldn't help myself, I had to.

Looks awesome. Good luck.

As a non beleiver do you still call it that, or is it 'just some blood from some dude'

Ok ok again sorry I couldn't help myself...
Congrats on your retirement and enjoy it Doyle, you deserve it.,

Are non believers allowed to live in the Sangre De Christo area?

:rofl
Sorry couldn't help myself, I had to.

Looks awesome. Good luck.

As a non beleiver do you still call it that, or is it 'just some blood from some dude'

Ok ok again sorry I couldn't help myself...
Congrats on your retirement and enjoy it Doyle, you deserve it.,

You r so effed up!!!!!!!! I can't stop laughing!!!!!

been narrowing down a retirement spot myself for a few yrs. from now and that looks like a great place. how far are the drag strips from there? what about snow skiing?

Well Taos IS A SKI RESORT! Really a double diamond place too. Re: drags, I think Albuquerque, about 2 1/2 hrs away.

Taos is fast, fun and steep! Had a great time there. Food was awesome and the people were rather pleasant. Don't know what the off season is like? Looks beautiful.

If you have to borrow my 'Ima Believer card' to get in let me know.
I also have a 'Praise Jesus' bumper sticker you can use so the local pd won't try to deport you.

:laugh:

:moon:

I'd love to have a patio like that with huge trees just off it. Truly looks amazing.
I think I'd hike there everyday.

I have been active duty for just under 18 years now and my wife and I moved into our retirement home just about 2 years ago. I plan to stay there for the rest of my days on this planet. The home is made of brick and stone and has 2 streams with a 3/4 acre pond that is packed with bass. We have a good amount of land that I managed to build my own shooting range on and is partially wooded.

The only advice I can give you is that you will know it when you find the right one. It will be very clear to you that the home you have selected is the right one. If you have thoughts that you are making the wrong decision, you probably are. Just keep looking, the home of your dreams will come along when it is right.

Doyle, you cannot beat the NW for a place to hang your hat and enjoy your life of two wheel fun. We have twisties galore in every direction with sparse human activity in many areas. We have four tracks within easy driving distance plus I can get sweet discounts on track events for you! YES, I'd do that for you even though you are on the wrong side of politics :laugh:

You should come up for a visit next summer. I'd be most happy to share some of the best twisties in the country and introduce you to all four tracks. You'd fall in love with the new track in Shelton, WA "The Ridge".

We have a few "Boobie" bars within driving distance as well so bring lots of "Dollar" bills :whistle:

Really, you should at least check this area out before settling in on a retirement nest. :thumbsup:

AZ or SoCal if it were me.

schwinnnnggg. Been blessed to have bought my "retirement" home way back in 1995 (actually my 1st and only house thus far). And YES, SoCal easily scores a slam dunk in every item in your checklist. Best of luck in your search :beerchug:

santa cruz or atlanta ( 2 hours from north ga. mountains ) or new york city ( if had lots of bucks )

Retired from the AF in 2010. I live in Rio Rancho NM which is a city/suburb just north of Albuquerque. I'm little over an hour from Santa Fe and have spent a lot of miles riding in Taos, Angel Fire, Valles Calders Los Alamos and The Enchanted Highway/Circle. Denver and the Rockies are only 7 hours away. I can tell you it is beautiful! Taxes here are low and although you hear a lot about crime in ABQ I have never been touched by it. Another benefit is people here are pretty nice. I ride year around and never store my bike. Even in the Winter we have many days where the temps are above 60 degrees. It's hot in the Summer but the humidity is very low and some shade and a breeze make 100 degrees seem like 80. Don't get me wrong, I have been pretty hot on the freeway but nothing I can't tolerate and I'm old and chubby. I commute 30 miles each direction to work and it really isn't that bad and the morning ride is awesome. The cops here are pretty scarce and you have to be really screwing up for them to ticket you. 10 MPH over is the norm. There are also many rural highways where you can open it up if you have a mind to. Lots of bikers both sport and cruisers. The local Harley D sponsors many rides for charity and all are welcome to participate. There are also many charity rides like toys for tots and the like. The International Baloon Fiesta is one of those things that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime and we go every year. One last thing, if you like to eat and drink beer the restauraunts and micro brews here are amazing. Been here 2 years and still love it. Don't ever plan on leaving!

Back