Maxima wax or synthetic lube

Big D's Busa

Registered
Hey guys, I have been using the maxima chain wax does pretty good doesnt fling, but it gets very grity type feeling fast. I tryed the synthetic lube they make seems to do a little better chain doesnt pick up near as bad and lasts longer, but just makes a mess few first trips. Have any of you tryed the synthetic stuff?

Maxima is all I have ever used on my busa. Got 27K on the stock chain.:thumbsup:

Either one...they both work GREAT!!!! :thumbsup:

CHNGRDG.jpg

CHNWAXG.jpg

Any wax will attract grit and dirt. Just the nature of the beast. However, you can minimize this unwanted attraction by wiping down the chain after you are done spraying the wax on. This takes most of the excess wax off leaving a thin film coating the chain. Your chain will still get dirty but not nearly as bad as when you leave the excess wax.

This is an old white man trick that an Indian taught me!

:beerchug:

I have a question. Does anybody follow Suzuki's method for chain maintenance? In my manual they say to use Kerosene and then use a heavy weight motor oil for lubrication. I've been using Amsoil 10w40 motor oil and don't seem to be having any problems but if using a wax or something else is better I would like to know.

Thanks and sorry about the thread jack.

I have a question. Does anybody follow Suzuki's method for chain maintenance? In my manual they say to use Kerosene and then use a heavy weight motor oil for lubrication. I've been using Amsoil 10w40 motor oil and don't seem to be having any problems but if using a wax or something else is better I would like to know.

Thanks and sorry about the thread jack.
Hey Nick, seems to me that the 10w 40 motor oil would be messy and fling all over place?
I use kerosene to clean the chain and sprocket, then dry it thoroughly before applying Maxima Chain Wax. And like stated above, if you loosely hold a rag around the chain as you spin the tire to get the excess wax off, you're good to go. The secret to a long chain/sprocket life is frequent cleaning/lubrication. I do an overkill, go through the process every 300 - 400 miles.

Hey Nick, seems to me that the 10w 40 motor oil would be messy and fling all over place?
I use kerosene to clean the chain and sprocket, then dry it thoroughly before applying Maxima Chain Wax. And like stated above, if you loosely hold a rag around the chain as you spin the tire to get the excess wax off, you're good to go. The secret to a long chain/sprocket life is frequent cleaning/lubrication. I do an overkill, go through the process every 300 - 400 miles.

Thanks CCbusa05 for the reply. I haven't noticed a problem with the motor oil flinging all over the place and I do clean the bike about twice a week. I don't slop on the motor oil though either. I put some on a Scott's blue paper towel and then just manually move the tire while holding the oiled paper towel on the chain. I do this a few times making sure I get oil in all the nooks and crannies. I then take a dry Scott's paper towel and lightly run it along the chain to make sure I don't have access.

I also do this every 600 miles and haven't noticed any rust and I only had to adjust my chain once since I had the bike. I live in the desert though and the bike has never seen rain before so the chain may never rust on me. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

I used kerosene to clean up the chain 2 weeks ago. What a mess on the floor and the rim... I then used air compressor to dry it up holding a paper towel against the air nozzle and left it over night then sprayed Maxima wax on it. After 10 miles of riding I noticed lots of black dots on my rim so not sure using kerosene is a good way and perhaps someone can share a better way to clean your chain.

I use kerosene but when I get the chain clean, I wipe it with a rag until all the black stuff is off. I let it dry overnight and heat it up before spraying with chain wax. Use wd40 to get the stuff off the rims. Works like a charm.:thumbsup:

Kerosene is also a lubricant. Just wipe the chain dry after cleaning with Kerosene. I use a pan under mine so I don't get it all over the floor.

Back