Max Tire Pressure

vulgar2

Registered
Spent a little time in the search forum and couldn't find anything. If the tire says max pressue 42psi on the side, do you keep them filled to 42?? Or is it better to back the pressure off some?? Question is for use during typical summer riding season. Thanks.

I run My pilot powers at 42 when loaded up with luggage for interstate trips and 38 for spirited riding.

IMG_0001 (Large).jpg

img_2198 (Large).jpg

You don't have to use max pressure...my tow rig says 80psi but I run about 65-70.

You'll get some good starting advice here but you will probably tend to locate a pressure that feels good to you

42 is the absolute max for the tire. Your riding will dictate the pressure you run.

I run 42 cold PSI here in the summer on my OEM tires. I mainly use the bike for commuting though. However, when the weather is below 60 for highs I have to drop the pressure in the tires to 36 cold because I don't get traction on the roads here. I only commute about 4 miles one way so not a whole lot of time to get the tires warm. :beerchug:

I run 38psi all the time, seems to be the best for 2 up spirited riding and gives me the best mileage on my storms.

i run 38-cold- all the time on the street when the tire warms up it goes up a little
and 12 at the strip

Last edited:
Tire pressures seem to be pretty much a personal preference from what I can see.. probably only seriously over/under inflated would be "hazardous" I bet..

I set my tires to outside temp and ride.. (these are "COLD" tires at check)
80 degrees and up.
Highway droning 42
normal riding 36-40
Spirited ride.. 34-35
Track 31

Temps below 80, drop 2 or 3 pounds
Under 50... parked..

main thing? check them, see what it feels like and see what YOU think feels good under you.

I do the recommended 42 for two up and highway riding and usually run around 38 if I know I'm gonna be doing the twisties.:thumbsup:

I have seen the "pridmore" thing before but I have found an odd thing about tire pressures and maybe Tufbusa can explain what I see..

I start out at 31 PSI and come off the track and am at 37-38
I start out at 33 PSI and come off the track and am at 37-38

ISSUE:
the 33-34 PSI leaves me sliding around the track way too much for the first couple miles.. at 31, that time is about 2/3 to 1/2 the amount of time getting up to temp..

I am guessing that the softer tire warms quicker but why does it not overheat then? and if they are both "hot" at the same pressure (without being greasy), what difference should it make? I suppose a good temp reading would be important but if the tire is handling ok....

I have seen the "pridmore" thing before but I have found an odd thing about tire pressures and maybe Tufbusa can explain what I see..

I start out at 31 PSI and come off the track and am at 37-38
I start out at 33 PSI and come off the track and am at 37-38

ISSUE:
the 33-34 PSI leaves me sliding around the track way too much for the first couple miles.. at 31, that time is about 2/3 to 1/2 the amount of time getting up to temp..

I am guessing that the softer tire warms quicker but why does it not overheat then? and if they are both "hot" at the same pressure (without being greasy), what difference should it make? I suppose a good temp reading would be important but if the tire is handling ok....

In one of the other threads about this someone was going to take a temp measurement of hot and cold at different pressures with something at the track.
For what you do at the track it sounds OK.
His recommend was for street use I think.
If someone was to start out at the lower 31 for the street it probably would not warm up to the 37-38 you are getting?
Just guessing.

Hey Tuf where are you when we need you?

Last edited:
If you and your passenger weighs in at a heafty 500 lbs, by all means check the tire pressure before every ride (42 psi cold as recommended by Suzuki) The tire manufacturer says 42 psi is the proper pressure for max load carrying capibility.

If you want maximum grip, use tire pressure as a thermostat for your tire temperature. As we all know, each tire has it's favorite temperature in order to achieve maximum grip. I use an infrared heat sensor to check tire temp. Tire temp will never be a uniform temp across the tread. I check the center and each shoulder to see how much heat I am generating in each area. Sometimes there will be 15-20 degrees difference between the left and right shoulder of the tread depending on whether you are on a left or right hand track. This is why you see lots of crashes on right hand turns if it's a left hand track.

Most street tires I have be on work best at around 30psi cold. Michelins are very sensitive to tire pressure while Dunlops and Bridgestones are more forgiving over a wider range of pressure. What psi works best for you may not work so well for your buddy. Pressure depends on how hard you push the tire. Meaning, the harder the tire has to work the more heat it will generate at any given psi. You may have to add a pound or two in order to keep the heat under control.

If you are hard on the throttle and brakes, your big heavy weight busa will quickly make both tires beg for mercy.

It's certainly okay to run 42psi. The higher pressure will keep the tires cooler and give longer tire life at the cost of a smaller contact patch and less than maximum grip. For me, I usually run 34 psi for everyday play and maybe as high as 38 if I'm slabbing on a long trip.

Air pressure is like bike color, a matter of choice. If you aren't packing a heavy load, your tires will function just fine from 30 - 42psi. It's up to you to figure out what demands you expect to put on a tire.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it even if it is just a matter of opinion! :beerchug:

Back