Max stopping power front tire

spotrot

Registered
Time for new rubber up front and when I actually thought about the priorities, here's what I came up with:

#1 Front tire priority: stopping on dry pavement

Secondary priorities:
a. twisty traction (very few curves in flat Florida and so far I only go the mountains every 2 years)
b. possible track days (but I haven't yet and there are no good tracks anywhere nearby)

Not a priority:
Rain traction not a priority (seldom get caught in the rain but when it happens, I ride very defensively)
Tread life not a priority; drive 2k/yr at the most and don't mind getting new tires

Others have posted positive on the BT-002RS.

Advice from anyone who has experience with recent rubber is appreciated.

P.S Black Rock Mountain SP has a mini-tail of dragon leading up to it. Pic from a few days ago.

busa_s.JPG

I have only experienced two different tires...shinkos 005....totally suck for anything other then going str8 and presently riding on PP2ct's and dont think i will ever use another tire..Love them

The BT002 is geared more toward hot curve/track action. You might want to look at a dual or triple compound tire. I have not ridden on the 2CT but I have used the regular Power...awesome tire. I am currently using the BT016's, triple compound rear and dual front.

Keep in mind there are more to tires than just compounds. Shape is a major player in how each specific tire will handle so to speak. The PP and 2CT use a "V" shaped profile wich translates into quicker turn in. The BT016 uses a more rounded profile...ie neutral steering.

Either will work well and I am sure there are others. I will recommend you going with a 190/55 rear. You will get quicker turn in....

I run the avon av56/55 series and LOVE THEM!! I average almost 5K to my rear tire and I use nitrous a fair amount... I had a spare bt014 that I put on the front for a temp fix since I bought a new rim.. I've had nothing but good luck with the avon so far.... But then again, that's just me!! Oh and just so you know... I'm not your average slow poke etc rider... I ride hard and play harder!! haha

onebadbusa.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's like a track tire? You said you don't do that or too much twisties so that might not be the best for you. It probably will like you said, have good stopping power thuogh.

the bt002 will wear down incredibly fast.... If you really want that type of a tire and don't wanna have to compromise too much....go with the bt014 or equivalent..that's what I ran on my 04 gsxr 750 before meeting a few cows in the road... I raced it on the tracks...I could corner with the rest and still got half way decent life out of the tires....

onebadbusa.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's like a track tire? You said you don't do that or too much twisties so that might not be the best for you. It probably will like you said, have good stopping power thuogh.
The 002RS IS a very "track oriented" tire, but it's still very much a street tire good for everyday use. Better on the streets compared to the DOT RACE tires such as Dunlop D211 NTECs or Power Race PRC's. While these are the BEST tires for hybrid trackday/street/canyon use, I have to agree with everyone else that you're not going to get the greatest "commute mileage" out of them. But...they last much longer (granted, my suspension setup for Willow Springs Big Track is SPOT ON) on the track compared to Qualifiers or Pilot Powers and the GRIP IS PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!! Geometry-wise, even if you use the 190/55 rear, you won't need too change anything at all and you'll still retain much of the same handling characteristics as stock, except with quicker turn-in.

I did a complete trackday review of these tires here; Willow Springs Trackday using Bridgestone BT-002RS post#23

I'm a true believer in the 002RS and feel that YOU CAN WIN A CLUB RACE IN THE NOVICE CLASSES or BE VERY COMPETITIVE IN THE EXPERT RANKS! And I have yet to try the DOT Race version BT002 and the newest, grippiest 003's!! The tire is that good. Exceptional feel from the front, awesome inital bite for stopping power, and good response that lets you feel what the front end is doing via the energy transferred to the clip-ons. It'll let you know if it's starting to slide, it's gripping, how much avail traction you have left, etc...There are pics on pages 3 and 4 of that thread and you'll see what the BT-002RS are clearly capable of.

All in all...Bridgestone got it right with this tire. As long as canyons and trackdays are your thang.

The stock tire and brakes can lever the rear tire off the ground. Once the rear tire is no longer in contact with the pavement the bike is stopping as hard as it can. You can improve feel and reduce the effort at the lever by changing tires and brake components but it's very diffucult to shorten stopping distances.

cheers
ken

The BT002RS is a great tire, but it is made much more for the track than street. I currently run them on my 02 GSXR750 track bike, and I won't run any other tire for the time being. As for using them on the street, on your Busa, I would probably recommend another tire. I know you said you seldom get caught in the rain, but should you, they offer little to no grip while turning. I get about 4-5 track days out of a set, couldn't imagine getting more than 2K max out of them on the street with the Busa.
Just my .02. I run PP's on my Busa. I like them for a street tire, though I could go for a longer life tire, I like the handling characteristic's you get with them on the Busa.

You can improve feel and reduce the effort at the lever by changing tires and brake components but it's very diffucult to shorten stopping distances.

cheers
ken
Precisely. After that, it's all rider skill, form, technique and Laws of Physics that will determine your overall stopping distance.

The BT002RS is an awesome tire!

For a street/trackday tire, it is my choice hands down. You may not get the mileage of a qualifier or a pilot power, but the 002RS is very sticky and warms up very fast.

Braking stability is awesome. And these tires do not let go, they slide a little as warning.

For performance, you can't beat these tire's price!

Excellent, very helpful posts, thanks. Several gave me a new perspective on the concern of maximum braking power.

If it's true that any good front tire has enough grip to raise the rear wheel during heavy braking, that info entirely changes the tire choice to other parameters.

If it's not true, then V profile tires might have less contact patch for straight-line braking, and then more round profile should be better for this one issue.

In any case, two things I've heard appear to be uncontested:

A lot of members rate Pilot Powers highly for general street/touring use, and very few people dislike them.

Practicing max braking is probably the most effective way to decrease stoppping distance. I did this when I first got the bike and now I've been reminded I should do this more often.

For now it's down to the PP and the 002.

Thanks again

somewhat on topic:  my breaks were like a new bike when the track guy adjust my front suspension all the way tight [for that particular track] and the front end no longer dove much at all.  not much weight transfer giving the brakes WAY MORE power and a lot quicker stopping.  It >>felt<< like I had new super pads, bled the lines, stainless steel hoses.... HUGE difference!  Way impressed.  for kicks, tighten your front and notice the improvement... on ANY tire

also, lower tire pressure makes larger contact patch for more surface grip while stopping

Back