Max boost w/stock ECU?

T. Bix

Registered
Can a gen 1 be safely boosted with a reflashed ECU? How much boost can the stock ECU safely handle and what MAP sensor is compatible? If this has been covered please steer me to the appropriate thread. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your answers. So what possible solutions exist? Gen 2 rotor and ecu? Or what secondary injector controllers are out there?

I feel like it’s time to get away from secondaries on gen ones. Once you buy the microtech, mod the plenum, buy injectors, new fuel lines and fittings you’re over the cost of some of the new, fully capable stand alone ECUs. Then just run the bike on 4 large injectors. Plus you can take advantage of built in boost control, anti lag, full flex fueling, internal data logging, programable engine fail safes, the list goes on.

I am currently running 1000cc injectors a reflashed ecu
and pcv-tpi this setup I have tuned to 20psi to good results No secondaries no stand alone
What are your expectations?

I feel like it’s time to get away from secondaries on gen ones. Once you buy the microtech, mod the plenum, buy injectors, new fuel lines and fittings you’re over the cost of some of the new, fully capable stand alone ECUs. Then just run the bike on 4 large injectors. Plus you can take advantage of built in boost control, anti lag, full flex fueling, internal data logging, programable engine fail safes, the list goes on.
Hi, Boosted. What stand a lone do you like?

I'm looking for 275 to 300 HP nothing huge, maybe 12-ish psi. This is for a bracket bike so I'm not out to set any records. just want a good top end charge on the other guys.

I am currently running 1000cc injectors a reflashed ecu
and pcv-tpi this setup I have tuned to 20psi to good results No secondaries no stand alone
What ECU are you using? Gen 1 or Gen 2? I have a set of 92# injectors I think that's pretty close to 1000cc maybe just under.

I ran 28 PSI with a set of S2000 injectors and a Beji FMU
reflashed Gen 1 ecu
What ratio FMU did you use? and does the FMU generally provide a linear enough fuel curve? In other words if you were to limit to 8psi would the AFR be as good as if you had the 28psi spring installed? I'm only looking between 8 and 12 psi but don't quite know what to make of the different ratio FMUs out there.

Last edited:
I’d be SUPER hesitant to push an fmu that hard, specially an old begi unit. I also do see how you’d keep fuel pressure under 100psi with 28psi of boost.
Who said anything about fuel pressure under 100 It was close to 130

Base fuel pressure was set low so I could get it to idle...28psi this was done with a PCII
bike made 382 like that
It was never really ment to be ridden much like that. At that time I tuned it for that to make a failed trip to Maxton with it.......Trailer Axle fell out on the NJ turnpike

What ratio FMU did you use? and does the FMU generally provide a linear enough fuel curve? In other words if you were to limit to 8psi would the AFR be as good as if you had the 28psi spring installed? I'm only looking between 8 and 12 psi but don't quite know what to make of the different ratio FMUs out there.
NOPE ran like Poop till 16+ PSI SPIT FART SPIT FART TRY TO SPIT YOU.....OFF

NOPE ran like Poop till 16+ PSI SPIT FART SPIT FART TRY TO SPIT YOU.....OFF

LOL... Okay fair enough. So I guess my assumption was pretty close that the use of a FMU is not all things to all men... (or women). So my question is more relevant to my intended situation and maybe this will help you to guide me in my situation more concisely.

Bear in mind that this will be a bracket bike and I don't care about streetability from this point on. My intent is to run it on E85 with the bigger injectors. If I have the bike reasonably close with a reflash running it N/A, which ratio FMU will get me in the ball park for 8-ish pounds of boost? I don't want to have to buy a pile of them if I only need one. Again my goal is not to go set records it is just to make sure I have a little more trap speed than most of the other guys.

Due to time constraints I will be starting the season N/A and will most likely not throw the hair dryer on the bike until next fall. My intent is to get it raceable and squared away before I boost it.

As always I appreciate the selfless and vast knowledge available on this board... Thanks Fellas!

Who said anything about fuel pressure under 100 It was close to 130

Base fuel pressure was set low so I could get it to idle...28psi this was done with a PCII
bike made 382 like that
It was never really ment to be ridden much like that. At that time I tuned it for that to make a failed trip to Maxton with it.......Trailer Axle fell out on the NJ turnpike

Most injectors i test on my flow bench show that over 100psi they don’t ever close or close completely.

In my opinion, while what you’ve done works, it’s far from ideal, and not a safe option of the average guy on a street ridden bike. You’re leading this guy down a slippery slope.

For a very hands on, involved guy such as yourself it will live to make a few passes. But none of the set ups you’ve listed are particularly street friendly, or safe for longevity of fmu, and injectors. I feel like all that needs to be noted.

Back