Master Cylinder Leak

Chaney3000

Registered
I just installed ss front brake lines and bleed the system but there is a leak at the master cylinder. There is a little fluid on the bottom side of the front brake lever. Its not a lot it just is wet with fluid each time I wipe it with my finger. Anybody got any ideas? I think its coming from the section where the brake lever hinges.

2013-06-23104738_zps9c657d82.jpg

seen that before on bandits when the piston seal dries out.
New seal kit is reasonably cheap as are 2nd hand masters.
If you are from the UK i have an old master you could have....needs a clean but could be used for parts

Seals are bad, just order a seal kit and rebuild it. They are not expensive and they are easy to do.

Ok, so I looked at the kits on ebay and found a K&L kit for $37. Would anyone know if these are sold in stores like cycle gear or at the dealerships? Would rather pay a little more and have it in hand asap instead of waiting on it to ship.

I see that you mention its easy to do, hopefully so as I have not rebuilt one before. No hidden tips or suprises I need to be aware of? Just straight forward take apart and put back together with new parts?

It's sems straigt forward, see link and check dealer too, they have a kit and the price is almost the same. Don't forget to buy a bottle of DOT4 to refill.
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) FRONT BRAKE HOSE | Babbitts Suzuki Parts House

Looking at that diagram on that link I see how it comes apart. On the kit there is another rubber looking flat grommet that isn't in the blow up diagram. Any ideas?

And, I was going to recycle the brake fluid since I'm using the mighty vac and I just put that in there Saturday night and have not ridden the bike. If that is an issue, I can swing by and pick up another bottle of fluid.

Simplest way is message or call Justin at Honda East and tell him what you want and what your bike is. He is a great person, prices can not be beat and fast shipping.

If its new fluid u can reuse just keep it sealed as it collects moisture..wrenching on your own bike can be enjoyable

The little black flat looking grommet to the far right of that set. Where does that go?

Simplest way is message or call Justin at Honda East and tell him what you want and what your bike is. He is a great person, prices can not be beat and fast shipping.

I have already ordered a rebuild kit from cycle gear. Even, though they told me one price on the phone and when I got there it was a different price. It was a $5 difference but still, I don't do business like that and expect the same from others. If I make a mistake and quote you a bad price, I will honor what I quoted you. Anyway, parts should be here tomorrow.

If its new fluid u can reuse just keep it sealed as it collects moisture..wrenching on your own bike can be enjoyable

Cool, it is in the mighty vac container with the lid on it.

Wish I would've seen this earlier. I have a MC off my genII with less than 5k listed on the classifieds. Hope you can get back on the road quick.

NEVER re-use brake fluid. Its to far to cheap not to just replace. What if there is a tiny frag of something in there and thats what fugged up one of the seals in the first place?

There is moisture in there. Its enevietable. You are detracting from the lifespan of the system.

You've gone to a lot of trouble. Why not spend another 4 bucks.

RSD.

NEVER re-use brake fluid. Its to far to cheap not to just replace. What if there is a tiny frag of something in there and thats what fugged up one of the seals in the first place?

There is moisture in there. Its enevietable. You are detracting from the lifespan of the system.

You've gone to a lot of trouble. Why not spend another 4 bucks.

RSD.

I wouldn't mind buying another bottle just didn't know if it would be necessary. And, what type of fluid you found for 4 dollars? All the motorcycle brake fluid around here is $8 or more.

Yer right...might be 8 bucks for the small bottle. I buy in bulk. Brake Kleen,4 bucks a can. Motul half price,5 gallons at a time. ETC.

Save the 8 bucks...:super: I know don't shi7 anyway.

RSD.

Yer right...might be 8 bucks for the small bottle. I buy in bulk. Brake Kleen,4 bucks a can. Motul half price,5 gallons at a time. ETC.

Save the 8 bucks...:super: I know don't shi7 anyway.

RSD.

I was under the impression that once you open the bottle, it starts to obsorb water and break down the fluid. So, how does buying in bulk help if the fluid breaks down and does this after you open it?

Ok, so I got the rebuild kit yesterday. I did the rebuild and seems to be working. I checked this morning and there was a little fluid on my finger but I think that came from refilling the reservoir. Atleast, I hope thats where it came from.

I did notice that I don't have any brake lights though. I plugged up the wire but no brake lights. Any ideas?

Also, with the front lowered, I'm having a little trouble keeping the new lines off the forks. I lock tied the lines but one still is really close to the fork. Any ideas on fixing that?

Is your foot break light working tho? clean the contacts with sandpaper, probably the oil is not making a good contact. For the shorter lines try n get short braided ones, may help.

Back