market research

ditchdr

Registered
Since this is one of the few ( ok only) sport bike forum I read and post on, I am calling upon you for a little help.. I am moving my small motorcycle operation into a new store late this winter hoping to open the doors this comming up spring.. What I need is a opinion from yall of what kinds of product I should have on the shelf.. I all ready have helmets, jackets, and ridding pants, and plan to order more. But stuff like t-shirts, back packs, tank bags, and so on.. Also as for "hard parts" like exhaust and so on. I have a display of a few and will be ordering more, so that does not really count..

Oh and when the doors are finaly open there will be a BIG BUSA PARTY at the shop.. Will have the drno up and running so maybe get some free dyno time:cheerleader: and so on..

Also if I crossed the line posting this feel free to remove it..

Thanks
Matt

I would like to come to your grand opening but since your location is NOT ALABAMA.....:poke:

Seriously though there is no way you can stock everything everyone will want. On the major stuff go order only. Stock smaller less overhead items as you can. Good luck!

Of course you will need small items like...oil, fork oil, cleanning supplies, chain lube, an assortment of stickers, cable locks, bike covers (all sizes if possible)...You know, universal stuff that most people impulse buy.:thumbsup:

what kind of riders visit your shop? what kind of bikes do they own/ride? Who are your competitors? What do they stock? What keeps them in business and bringing in consumers?

Take everything that's good about the other shops and look at ways to improve your appeal to the consumer. As others stated, I wouldn't go crazy with overhead. Focus on ways of improving consumer appeal. Don't forget about logistics. Personaly, I like a shop that can get parts quick. I don't mind when they have to be ordered but if it's going to be two weeks I wont bother. Who ever can get me my part the quickest wins. Don't promise delivery dates that can't be meet. There's no excuse in the world that'll satisfy me. Consumers loose faith in a company that doesn't deliver as promised. Alot of companies loose focus on customer support and just try to drive things based on low prices. That's not the way to grow your customer base. The people looking for the cheapest bargain aren't faithful customers. You can't always compete by being the lowest price esp. since you've got additional costs that the ebay sellers don't have to add into their pricing. You can gain faithful customers by providing great customer support. Don't make constomers wait without a reason. Always communicate with the customers with hoesty. Don't make excuses or point fingers when things go wrong. Take the blame, learn from it, improve your abilities from the experience, and let the customer know what you're doing so there are no repeats of the same problems. Follow through is very important. Be proactive, if yo've got vendors, staff, or anything else that doesn't meet your needs and expectations it's time to cut them.

This could go on for a long long time but plenty of others will chime in as well. Stick to what your good at and make it that much better.

inventory is really a tough call.. where you are determines a lot of what you need to keep on the shelf.. research and copy is a good start.. (visit any other nearby shops)

Sometimes finding something the other shops do not stock is nice.. or pick a specific niche.. (Metric bike chrome for instance) all really tough to pick when you are right there much less over the net :)

afraid you are going to be the very best judge of what is needed (and you can purchase and sell competitively..) Keep in mind you are competing with the "online merchants" a lot now days (those in denial, tend to lose out)

Pics? I bet we can help you get the store painted :) now post up the building so the design work can start :)

Of course you will need small items like...oil, fork oil, cleanning supplies, chain lube, an assortment of stickers, cable locks, bike covers (all sizes if possible)...You know, universal stuff that most people impulse buy.:thumbsup:

YES gotta cater to the impulse buyers:laugh:

I can tell you that being married with seven children and only a single income, I count every penny that goes through my hand. But I will drive the extra mile and spend the extra dollar at a shop that takes care of me.
I will give an example. While on a long road trip I stopped at a dealership to see if I could get my chain adjusted and lubed. "Appointment only" I was told. Thanks buddy, I'll keep riding on this loose chain.
The next shop I found bumped me to the front of the line and took care of me. I bought two t-shirts, a can of lube, and a helmet. OK, the helmet was an impulse because I had been wanting a new one and they had one on sale. I even bought one of those helmet bungie cord things to strap my old helmet on the back. But all this was because they were willing to give me good service. They were going to get the $60 shop fee, but they also rang up another $300 because of the way they helped me.

Stuff like Chromer, tires, and so fourth is pretty much coverd.. I have a minium order of 5K to place with Parts Unlimited to set up the new account ( currently going through a different vendor) I am a dealer for Amsoil, Boogey Lights, Barnetts, and a few other places. Would like to work with some of the vendors on this site, I have 15K ear marked for supplies and stock items.. I consider oil, filters, air filters, spark plugs, tires, chain, and brake pads as wear items and they are kept in stock. I will have a "fluids" display, carrying items like bike wash, fork oil, chain wax, polish, and so on.. My custoemrs will be ridding everything, except scooters. I advertise for serivce and repairs on every make and model from American ot Metric, on road or off.. You guys got soem great I deas here,, keep them comming..

Oh and the building has been narrowed down to 2 dirrefent ones. One of them is larger with a big show room, the other is small but in a high class part of town. both are the same price..And I have my logo nailed down. It looks pretty good.

You might wanna take into consideration that a "high class part of town" isn't always the best because alot of these areas are against motorcycles anyway. I mean you don't wanna go to the worst side of town either (not quite sure how to put it).
Your customers may have more money, but they watch how they spend it. A little lower on the scale sometimes spend cash more fluently and aren't afraid buy extras.
Don't be afraid to buy some various plastics off of ebay and send them out to get painted in different styles (you will need to get hooked up with a good painter and stick with him). That way people can see the type of work they will be getting. The same goes for swing-arms and other bolt-on goodies.
Don't try to be the cheapest in town either. That is not always the best way to get customers to return. As stated in an earlier post CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Good idea there GSXRFANN, I did not think of buying some body parts ot put on the wall.. I have a pretty good painter, hes not cheap but is by far the best.. I have a few HD tanks and some old Honda tanks I am cutting in half then having painted as well as a few banners that will go up on the walls, as well as hang from the roof. Stuff like factory banners from Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, cow-a-sockie, Triumph and so on.. The one in the high class part of town will most likely not happen. They got a little twitchy whwn I told them my plans. The other one is in a great location, but a little big for me, guess I can grow into it.. It fronts HWY17a, a main aterty into town as well as the road that takes you from anywhere in Charleston to Myrtle Beach.. Right now my prices are on a low side since i do most of my work out of my house. 50.00 per hour for labor but will be going to 55.00 per hour once moved.. My oil changes are the best deal in town and gives me a chance to get a new customer as well as look for extra work on a bike.. 49.99 gets your oil and filter changed, a complete inspection of the bike as well as and minor adjustments( cables and so on)

Anyhow I can post up my service menu if yall want mayde go over it and tell me if I am missing something..

Again guys thanks for all the info, this is the little things that really helps..

Back