Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Bizarre marathon closes
Athens competition
Runner attacked on course
while leading, finishes 3rd
Vanderlei de Lima of Brazil is attacked by an Irish spectator during the marathon on Sunday.
The Associated Press
Updated: 4:25 p.m. ET Aug. 29, 2004ATHENS, Greece - The athletic competition at the Athens Summer Olympics came to a bizarre finish Sunday as Stefano Baldini of Italy took the lead two miles from the finish to win the gold medal and American Meb Keflezighi won silver Sunday in an Olympic marathon disrupted by a costumed intruder who grabbed the race leader with about three miles to go.

Vanderlei de Lima of Brazil, whose lead had been slowly shrinking, was pushed to the curb by a man dressed in green beret, red kilt and knee-high green socks. De Lima was able to get back into the race, but he lost several more seconds and eventually was overtaken by Baldini.

De Lima got the bronze, drawing big cheers from the crowd at the finish line in Panthinaiko Stadium — the beautiful marble structure that was the site of the first modern Olympics 108 years ago.

He smiled broadly, spread his arms like wings and weaved from side to side as he crossed the line.

David Gray / Reuters
Italy's Stefano Baldini breaks the tape to win the men's marathon Sunday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keflezighi, who emigrated from the war-torn African nation of Eritrea at age 10, is the first American to medal in the men’s marathon since Frank Shorter’s silver in 1976 and gold in 1972. Deena Kastor won the bronze in the women’s marathon a week ago, marking the first time the United States had medaled in both of the sport’s epic endurance competition.

Can you believe it.  The news said this is the first time someone has attacked a marathon runner in the Olympics ever!!!!   Apparently, its the same guy who ran opposite direction on the track at the British GP last year while cars(doing 180mph +) were swerving around him trying not to hit him. He wore a sign saying some religious babble and is some kind of Irish priest who has ties with Isreal.  All in all, he is a nut!!!  Working my whole life to run a marathon and some crazed lunatic ruins my chances for the Gold medal......    
guns.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093815373 -->

040829_lima_attacked_vlrg_12p.vlarge.jpg

I probably would have spent more time trying to kill that guy than worrying about finishing the race. While he may not have won the gold anyway if it were me I would have just crushed him.
guns.gif

The Olympic committee awarded Lima a medal for fairplay and good sportsmanship. Supposed to be a honored and rare medal. Considering how he handled the situation, he deserved it...if not more!

i bet if it were soccer he would have been drug up and down teh street

The lima is getting a medal for good sportmanship
rock.gif

fug the medal, kich the guy in the face
wow.gif

i would have hit him with and elbow right above the eye socket
mad.gif

Just another example of what I consider a fairly messed up situation as it relates to the Olympics, from the drugged atheletes, to Americans being told to keep a low profile and don't celebrate your accomplishment too much to this nonsense...what's the point anymore?
Ride safe...

Back