Map Switching automatically Gen1

Assassin8

Registered
A question was posed to me today, of which I had no answer... It’s Gen1, very early model... When cruising on freeway, the map switches on its own accord, you can feel the bike surging as the map switches... when under load it doesn’t do it....

Has anyone had this issue, is it common, and how do I fix it ? Appreciate any help...

Or could it be something else....??

Cheers, Sass...

What year bike?
The map switches?
Do you have a Power Commander, or something similar on the bike?
If you do, remove it and start over.
If you do not, the "map" is not switching, as it is fixed in the ecu and cannot change.
Sounds more like a fuel filter or fuel pump issue.

What year bike?
The map switches?
Do you have a Power Commander, or something similar on the bike?
If you do, remove it and start over.
If you do not, the "map" is not switching, as it is fixed in the ecu and cannot change.
Sounds more like a fuel filter or fuel pump issue.

Thanks for your reply...
2001 Gen1 Hayabusa... no power commander on the bike.... he says when riding down the freeway, the bike surges as it changes between maps... he installed a TRE and the surging went away...
He says it is changing automatically between maps... personally, I am thinking it is something else... but looking for ideas...

Sass

How is an ecu switching maps on its own....??? And how did the TRE resolve the "surging"???

Something is not adding up 2+2=5 :whistle:

Thanks for your reply...
2001 Gen1 Hayabusa... no power commander on the bike.... he says when riding down the freeway, the bike surges as it changes between maps... he installed a TRE and the surging went away...
He says it is changing automatically between maps... personally, I am thinking it is something else... but looking for ideas...

Sass

What does he mean "changing between maps"? That is not possible, as there is no other map for the ecu to change to.
And, the ecu doesn't work that way anyway.
A TRE is usually the cause of surging or other gremlins, never the solution.
Still sounds like a clogged fuel filter or dieing fuel pump.

Totally agree with you Six.... how his busa created another map to switch to is beyond me?? I'm not a guru but I've read and seen enough 2 know none of this makes sense. If he had a power commander or something then I could see how he might just have a bad map or maybe a loose connection etc. 2 cause it to do that. Can't even say he had a bad flash cause he has the 16 bit ecu with that 01 so that doesn't add up either. Idk??

Totally agree with you Six.... how his busa created another map to switch to is beyond me?? I'm not a guru but I've read and seen enough 2 know none of this makes sense. If he had a power commander or something then I could see how he might just have a bad map or maybe a loose connection etc. 2 cause it to do that. Can't even say he had a bad flash cause he has the 16 bit ecu with that 01 so that doesn't add up either. Idk??

From the sound of it, the OP isn't the rider.
And, whoever is, is saying the map(aka, fuel/air and/or timing)is changing; as that's the best way he knows how to describe the problem he's having.
Old bike, sounds like a common fueling problem.:beerchug:

From the sound of it, the OP isn't the rider.
And, whoever is, is saying the map(aka, fuel/air and/or timing)is changing; as that's the best way he knows how to describe the problem he's having.
Old bike, sounds like a common fueling problem.:beerchug:

Yeah, you’re right Six... I’m not the rider, just what the guy told me.... but I’d say you’re right about that, I can’t see how it would happen at all... I’ll definitely check out the fuel filter and pump and go from there...

Thanks for your suggestions so far...

Kind Regards,

Sass

Yeah, you’re right Six... I’m not the rider, just what the guy told me.... but I’d say you’re right about that, I can’t see how it would happen at all... I’ll definitely check out the fuel filter and pump and go from there...

Thanks for your suggestions so far...

Kind Regards,

Sass

Yes sir,

Good luck with it, and let us know what you find out.

Back